• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Second Brexit from Europe in four days. Wow. Seriously, how embarrassing is this?

Might be embarrassing, but dont tell me you didn't see it coming. The keeper is a liability, Sterling, Sturridge, Kane and Dier are just not up to it.

Rooney the 2nd half has been appaling, it really is painful watching highly paid footballers unable to do even the basics.

I suppose the public wanted us out of Europe, the wish is granted.

Edited by disjointed

Not even vaguely surprised, won some good money on a double for Italy and Iceland so fairly pleased with the nights work also.

The English game is rotten. Rooney is an exceptionally unintelligent footballer. Despite the media cooing about how well he adapted to the midfield role against Russia and Wales, he's been poor throughout. A few nice passes (notably one to Alli against Russia?) don't mask the number of times he wastes possession. I would go as far as saying he wastes the ball as much as 9/10 times he gets it, not good enough for a professional footballer, especially one at the top level. Tactically it was suicide having him in the midfield, a player that simultaneously disrupts our midfield structure by often standing between the two center backs to receive the ball (leaving two opposition midfielders able to crowd out Alli and the striker(s)) and ruins our tempo and flow by needlessly giving the ball away over and over again has hurt us. The media continue to lap it up however.

Sterling reselected after being comfortably the worst player in the squad through the group and warm up games not to mention having a terrible season. Vardy dropped back to the bench despite scoring in the group and being a general pain in the arse for the opposition, Drinkwater not even making the squad despite captaining the league champions. Wilshire comes to the tournament having played one league game this season, Henderson having played a handful. It seriously makes me wonder if the money men and big sponsors are having a say in how the team is picked.

Should have brought Gerrard and Lampard in for the midfield, they just need more time to gel...

I think we've gone from under thinking to over thinking. In the past we've been all about passion and chest pumping and not much guile. Now it appears like we are just confused and don't know what to do. We dominated possession in every game and in reality created very few chances and FFS if you have a 6ft 2, 30 goal a season you put him in the box and do not have him taking set pieces!

Glen Hoddle said Iceland played football of the 1980s, I've always said football is a simple game over complicated by coaches dossiers and flipcharts.

I assume we will also see the back of Dr Steve Peters, the sport psychologist attached to the England squad.

Muddled thinking as always come tournament time.

4-3-3 and you end up with Sturridge as a winger, the bloke with the most assists this year (Milner) is on the bench and the most in-form winger in the last 10 games (Townsend) is on the beach.

I like Wilshire but picking him and Henderson ahead of Drinkwater and Noble was an insult.

Muddled thinking as always come tournament time.

4-3-3 and you end up with Sturridge as a winger, the bloke with the most assists this year (Milner) is on the bench and the most in-form winger in the last 10 games (Townsend) is on the beach.

I like Wilshire but picking him and Henderson ahead of Drinkwater and Noble was an insult.

Plus the toughest centre foward and best header of the ball Andy Carroll not taken.

Aye, he was poor last night. But Hodgson's approach to this competition was mind-boggling - he should take the lion's share of the blame for this failure.

I blame Joe Harts hair. I think he was head and shoulders the worst player.

We played a formation that didn't suit the players on the pitch, which included players who were clearly out of form.

Sturridge out wide, one striker up front, Sterling starting the Iceland game, Vardy warming the bench..

Going into the Euros without a decided first XI or clear system..

Unforgivable.

Abject. From top to bottom, start to finish. We got just what we deserved. Nowt. Sturridge was like a fish out of water on the right wing and it hampered Walker getting forward, Rooney couldn't hit a white shirt if he'd played all night, Sterling was way out of sorts (why not try switching wings with Sturridge, if they're going to play?). So much was wrong and no one seemed to have any idea how to put it right.

We never changed anything to combat their long throws. Why was Vardy on the bench? Why wasn't Milner used to get crosses in? Kane on set pieces, WTF is that all about? Rashford showed more drive, skill, endeavour and determination in 5 minutes than the rest of them put together in 85. Hart's having a bad time, so use Forster or Heaton; nothing to lose, there. We were lucky the ref didn't spot Smalling with a fistful of shirt that he wouldn't let go of. You could go on and on.

So who's next in the hot seat? Hoddle again? Shearer? Southgate? Take your pick but, whoever it is, they need to have some Plans A, B and C in place before the first World Cup qualifier in September.

Abject. From top to bottom, start to finish. We got just what we deserved. Nowt. Sturridge was like a fish out of water on the right wing and it hampered Walker getting forward, Rooney couldn't hit a white shirt if he'd played all night, Sterling was way out of sorts (why not try switching wings with Sturridge, if they're going to play?). So much was wrong and no one seemed to have any idea how to put it right.

We never changed anything to combat their long throws. Why was Vardy on the bench? Why wasn't Milner used to get crosses in? Kane on set pieces, WTF is that all about? Rashford showed more drive, skill, endeavour and determination in 5 minutes than the rest of them put together in 85. Hart's having a bad time, so use Forster or Heaton; nothing to lose, there. We were lucky the ref didn't spot Smalling with a fistful of shirt that he wouldn't let go of. You could go on and on.

So who's next in the hot seat? Hoddle again? Shearer? Southgate? Take your pick but, whoever it is, they need to have some Plans A, B and C in place before the first World Cup qualifier in September.

LJ has just brushed his suit and fired up the laptop if that helps

That was utterly spineless. They bottled it. Humiliating.

Southgate is favourite. Really? From Mr. Charisma to Mr. Really Interesting (and funny - remember the pizza). FFS. I'd rather have Hoddle back. He might believe that disabled people are paying for their sins in a previous life, but.....

:censored: it. Oldham and England and managers. :censored: it...........

The free-kick by Harry Kane near the end that sailed over everyone and went straight out was laughable. That wouldn't be excepted on Hackney Marshes on a Sunday.

The post-mortem yesterday was equally funny - "there will be a proper inquiry", "we need to coach players from 10 years old to get them to play the way we want" - all totally in keeping with ideas like putting under 21s (or whatever..) in the JPT.

Surely, all that needs to be done when it comes to England is let the clubs do the coaching and for England games pick the players that are in form and play them in the positions where they are playing for their clubs. That's it. The board at the FA should resign along with Hodgson.

For what it's worth, I hope Shearer gets the job next. He showed the kind of passion we've been missing from a manager on Match of the Day yesterday, was a winner as a player and would probably get more patience from the fans than Southgate.

And if we want to see development like Iceland, or the Dutch, it will take a lot of time, effort and money. To quote from another forum:

My son has just finished his first year football training in his local football club in Zwolle. He’s just finished in the minis (5-6 years old). He has 2 x 45 minute training each week. His coach holds both KNVB and UEFA licenses and his training is designed with fun and age appropriate basic training in mind. My son plays on an all weather pitch designed for kids his size during the summer and autumn months. In winter he plays in indoor facilities. Both outdoor and indoor facilities are based in the same boys club, which has multiple all weather pitches for different age ranges as well as a grass full size pitch for the seniors.

All this costs us is €1.50 per month. The KNVB sets a nominal sum that goes up with each age level to ensure social inclusion. The club acts as a social club for the kids, with a ton of other activities outside football and as a community centre for the local area. Children’s access to high quality football facilities and coaching is viewed a social right, a right which the Dutch appear to view as an absolute bedrock in children’s development, both in health terms and benefits in socializing and building individuality. Footballing excellence and subsequent elite player development is viewed as a happy side effect. The football club is at the very centre of the Dutch community.

My son’s club is identical across the entirety of the country. A work colleague who lives in a village of just under 500 people recently had their kids football club facilities upgraded to the tune of €100k, the funding coming from the KNVB, gemeente and various local organizations.

If you want to know why English football will never deliver the goods at international level and will continue to decline, just look at the absolute seriousness the Dutch, Icelanders and various other countries take their children and look at the football facilities each of these countries deliver to their kids through investment. And then look at England and the rest of the UK.

Once every 5 and 6 year old in the UK can enjoy access to the footballing facilities and coaching my son does then the UK game can start to rebuild. But it is never going to happen.

And if we want to see development like Iceland, or the Dutch, it will take a lot of time, effort and money. To quote from another forum:

The same Dutch who failed to qualify for Euro 2016? ? Sorry I couldn't resist. I agree with the post though we need more facilities like this. I wonder though how much is funded purely from the Dutch FA coffers and if there is any government contribution?

Adding to this point I'm also worried now that with such an abject exit from the tournament momentum will begin to pick up for the introduction of "B" teams into the league.