Clearout & new signings, management team etc..

What do people think SC's & the clubs strategy is here?

It looks like we've got rid of, or let go, everybody we could get any money whatsoever for, anybody who was on a contract & anybody who was on (I imagine) a half decent decent wage. Then we've kept Winchester.

We're now starting all over again and the first 3 signings are two season long loans and Law on a 1 year deal.

Is Law on less money and a shorter contract or decent money but only on a years contract?

Has "the market" changed in that there's suddenly value to be had in a certain type of player and we can get a bigger squad for the same budget? Motherwell mention us having "deeper pockets" - is money so tight up in Scotland that we'll see more coming in from that league?

Is there a bit of a Moneyball strategy in play?

Are we paying better money to have good go at it this season but with everyone's contract ending again in 12 months time so there's no long term commitment that could cause us problems?

Robinson mentions in his interview being very organised - are we going to see a team of 8 or 9 experienced steady Eddie's like Wilson, Law, Hughes to do all the dirty work for two or 3 quality players like Baxter or Flynn? A bit like Wales with Bale & Ramsey? (no YOU :censored: off :grin:)

Mantack, Stott, Byrnes & Knight seem to be the focus of more attention than youth products normally are - or is that just me? Or is that just because we don't have many other players at the moment?

Could the plan be to use some or all of these lads moreso than we've become used to? This was a big part of O'Driscoll's remit when he was at Bristol City.

But then names being bandied about like Hughes & Flynn aren't going to come cheap.... Or, again, are they - relatively speaking? Has something changed?

And then there's SC finally putting what looks like a proper full backroom staff in place - where has the desire to do that suddenly come from? And why? And why didn't he do it for Johnson or Dickov?

Or Evans? Him not being able to employ all the backroom staff he wanted was touted as a reason he didn't come....

Are Turnbull & SOD here for the long run or just to help get us up and running for the season?

It's all a bit odd but intriguing.

Nice to see that we appear to be trying something different (I think :unsure: )...

Has Steve Robinson rekindled Corney's fire for it a bit like Johnson did?

I wouldn't read anything unusual into the youth signings. I think we always take 2 or 3 scholars on professional deals each season. Doesn't mean they play.

The backroom staff is interesting but that depends on whether they'll all still be here soon enough. I wouldn't put money on it.

Good post Harry Bosch

A change of tactic by SC? Seems that way after the failure of the cheapskate option. It certainly seems the 'not anybody nice who interviews well' LJ / Dickov approach may of gone by the wayside too. It seems that he got trusted, competent advice and head hunted the best man they could afford.

Full credit to SC for trying a new approach - even though the process was painful.

That's not to forgive SC completely because no one would argue anything other than it has been a shambles from the the board this last few years.

Lets all hope that SC has learned his lesson and it pays off by some relative success

Edited by Stagger Lee

Could be SC is using money from sales to pay higher wages than previously, thus attracting better quality players.

^This is how I've been reading the situation.

The £1.8m budget banded around by Alan Nixon when we were linked to Evans could be achieved by adding money generated in selling [sheridan, Kelly, Murphy, Coleman & Renshaw] and not having to pay salaries for at least 1 month of the year for those out of contract, to the original budget of c£1.3m

It's bold starting with hardly any players 2 weeks behind everyone else, but with the new loan system meaning season long loans are more likely [Erwin & Ripley].... it could be a cute bit of planning / a total fluke. Equally it could be a disastrous gamble. Fingers crossed it works whatever it is/was.

Edited by lookersstandandy

Not sure what SOD would need in the longer term beyond supporting Steve set the team / squad up. Steve is ready to be a manager and SOD was an expert to assist the Board and thank you SOD for your input to what is looking promising so far. Either way, I'm more positive than for ages.

As said the reset button has been pushed and imo we are spendin the money far more wisely. Due to this I believe come the close of the transefer window we are going to have a far superior starting 11 than the one that ended last season. However there becomes an issue with the rule changes on loans etc and thats can we build a strong enough squad to survive if injuries hit which they always do. Will we have the numbers?

This is a gut feeling and im not even sure it was the original plan as it shouldnt take this long to get the managment and people in place. We may just get lucky this season which is not a prediction of success but may put us in a healthier position to build next year which has always been a problem.

Here's what I was told by someone who had a conversation about this with a club employee. Wasn't there so cannot confirm accuracy.

He reckons SC isn't hugely interested in the football side of things anymore. He remains enthusiastic about the off field income generating possibilities. His major concern is to make sure the football side breaks even.

He says it was always Corney's plan to sell everything he could with any value this summer. This is based on a belief that player wages are on a downward trajectory at present in the lower leagues and better quality is available at lower prices. Apparently agents who were offering players to the club in May at £2k a week are now asking for £1k a week for the same players.

He says this was behind the decisions on contract offers (or lack of) to existing players. It was felt that the wages specified in the contract options on existing players were above market value, hence in most cases the options were not triggered, and reduced terms were offered.

He bekieves that O'Driscoll is here to effectively run the football side of the club as Corney no longer wants to do that himself.

He also said that the money raised from the fire sale will stay in the football side rather than being siphoned off to pay for the stand.

Make of that what you will.

Here's what I was told by someone who had a conversation about this with a club employee. Wasn't there so cannot confirm accuracy.

He reckons SC isn't hugely interested in the football side of things anymore. He remains enthusiastic about the off field income generating possibilities. His major concern is to make sure the football side breaks even.

He says it was always Corney's plan to sell everything he could with any value this summer. This is based on a belief that player wages are on a downward trajectory at present in the lower leagues and better quality is available at lower prices. Apparently agents who were offering players to the club in May at £2k a week are now asking for £1k a week for the same players.

He says this was behind the decisions on contract offers (or lack of) to existing players. It was felt that the wages specified in the contract options on existing players were above market value, hence in most cases the options were not triggered, and reduced terms were offered.

He bekieves that O'Driscoll is here to effectively run the football side of the club as Corney no longer wants to do that himself.

He also said that the money raised from the fire sale will stay in the football side rather than being siphoned off to pay for the stand.

That seems to make sense. It's the way SC appears to think. It would also explain with Sheridan left. He didn't buy into SCs understanding of the market. I doubt if Sheridan thinks in the same way.

Hopefully, you've got it right. Hopefully, so has SC.

I'd also be very happy if he does leave SOD in charge.

The boycotters should like it. It is the future of the club that is safeguarded by aiming for break even. ALL clubs should be striving for it. But then, the boycotters aren't very bright from what I have heard and read from them.

If the above is true and Corney is running the business side while O'Driscoll sorts out the football side, I'd be very happy with that.

The boycotters should like it. It is the future of the club that is safeguarded by aiming for break even. ALL clubs should be striving for it. But then, the boycotters aren't very bright from what I have heard and read from them.

Most of the boycotters left years ago and there will be quite a few more after this current close season hence that break even gets harder to attain for each and every season. It is that fact which really hits home when you sit back and look at the financial situation.

I think that it is us who have continued to support the club with our monies are perhaps the ones who are not very bright.

Personally, I prefer to have a team to support and watch on a Saturday afternoon and Tuesday night. Boycotts and shopping trips are not my idea of how to spend my time or money! Roll on the friendlies and the start of the season for Latics!

Motherwell mention us having "deeper pockets" - is money so tight up in Scotland that we'll see more coming in from that league?

Their attendances are very similar to ours - average of around 4,000. They charge similar prices for tickets.

However, TV/prize money in the SPL is not insignificant - Motherwell will have collected well over £1m for finishing above half way - how does that compare with League One? The cup money is a lot smaller than in England. I would guess that sponsorship outside of the top few SPL sides would be similar to League One.

Corney has been taking a hands off kind of role at the club for sometime now and that's going to continue. I think we will be happy to be ran at break even aslong as we are competitive on the pitch.

How we will go this season we don't know, we don't know how long O'Driscoll is going to be here, however if it was a long term role then shouldn't we have given him the title Director of Football by now?

As said the reset button has been pushed and imo we are spendin the money far more wisely. Due to this I believe come the close of the transefer window we are going to have a far superior starting 11 than the one that ended last season. However there becomes an issue with the rule changes on loans etc and thats can we build a strong enough squad to survive if injuries hit which they always do. Will we have the numbers?

This is a gut feeling and im not even sure it was the original plan as it shouldnt take this long to get the managment and people in place. We may just get lucky this season which is not a prediction of success but may put us in a healthier position to build next year which has always been a problem.

I suppose in theory you could take up to 4 loanees from a few different clubs and just use them as and when needed.

The management appointments seem positive and the early signings all seem good. No one can argue if SC runs the club on a break even approach, thats the football business at this level. If we want the "break even" threshold to be raised, we the fans need to attend matches and support the club as much as we can. Lets face it, the team over the last few years struggled. I think a clear out was needed and new blood brought in. Starting to look forward to the season now.

Robinson said he wants a squad of 23 or 24, including the 5 youth players, 3(?) existing lads and the 6 signings so far.

That makes 9 or 10 signings. Given pretty much every player we've got will be on a pittance, I'm expecting some in who will be on a decent wage and provide the quality required.