Scoreboard

Why appeal for money in the first place? I know Corney has offered refunds If anyone isn't happy but really it's been over a year now and for me it just damages the club/fan relationship. Don't these crowd funders normally have some sort of timescale attached to them for the monies to be spent?

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that SC had stated that the money donated was not enough to get a decent scoreboard. He was looing into the possibility of perimeter advertising. However I doubt this is cost effective unless the big advertisers use it, and they only use it if the games likely to be on TV.

I thought that SC had stated that the money donated was not enough to get a decent scoreboard. He was looing into the possibility of perimeter advertising. However I doubt this is cost effective unless the big advertisers use it, and they only use it if the games likely to be on TV.

I hope don't have any of those animated running dogs on the perimeters, I find them distracting when there's a match on TV.

Edited by BP1960

I hope don't have any if those animated running dogs on the perimeters, I find them distracting when there's a match on TV.

But you see them and remember them...that's the purpose and potentially a better revenue stream than a static scoreboard.

Although if they had said they are fundraising for perimeter advertising rather than a scoreboard there is no chance they'd have even half the figure they currently have in the pot!

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

Trust have put out a statement saying the club are looking at perimeter advertising boards rather than a scoreboard, and haven't even consulted them

Underhand, that. Really contemptible behaviour.

Here's a link to the article - http://trustoldham.co.uk/scoreboard-update/ 

I hadn't given this enough attention; so TIFOSY is a third party, equivalent to other Crowd Funding sites, such as Kick Starter? Is that assertion correct?

On the assumption that it is; how the hell do they not know where £22,000 of donated money is? If the club have revised their intention to spend this money on a scoreboard to a sponsors board why are TIFOSY not simply refunding people by default? Why bother with the club - petition TIFOSY (Tifosy Limited is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority - Reference Number: 717605) to release the funds back to all contributors directly?

Can someone from the Trust comment on that approach and if they, as a considerable promoter of the scheme, believe there's a potential misuse of funds taking place?

Your money, less fees and administration costs, goes directly into a separate account for the Big Screen fund, where it will be kept until needed to pay for the nominated projects. These funds can only be used for the campaign projects that have been announced on this website. In addition, all potential future advertising revenues generated by the screen will be invested in the continued operations of the football club.

2 minutes ago, blueatheart said:

*quote*

Thank you - the Trust need to be kicking down the TIFOSY door demanding to know their intention for that fund. That's a lot of money they are 'minding' right now and it should be release back to the individuals if there's no evident reason to hold it. 

I've got a question...

Just how much research had been conducted on the potential cost of a scoreboard when the fundraising figure was revised to 27k?

We were told that this was the new figure, and it would be enough for a scoreboard. The message now seems to be that it's far from enough?

3 minutes ago, dec666 said:

I've got a question...

Just how much research had been conducted on the potential cost of a scoreboard when the fundraising figure was revised to 27k?

We were told that this was the new figure, and it would be enough for a scoreboard. The message now seems to be that it's far from enough?

To me it looks like they've done their research and the £27,000 wasn't enough for a scoreboard with the advertising capabilities that they wanted - it would've had to be one like Bury have (which I personally really like), but it wouldn't have generated any money.

2 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

To me it looks like they've done their research and the £27,000 wasn't enough for a scoreboard with the advertising capabilities that they wanted - it would've had to be one like Bury have (which I personally really like), but it wouldn't have generated any money.

This could have been worked out beforehand, though.

Surely they didn't just pluck 27k out of thin air. They must have at least had a look at a few scoreboards to see what they'd get for their money...

I'm sure the club will argue that it's essentially the same thing and falls within the scope of what people were contributing to.  But that's bollocks.  Fans don't give a shit about advertising boards and most wouldn't donate money towards them.  And, although a lot of fans are not arsed about a scoreboard (and therefore probably didn't donate) many do want to see one and lots have fond memories of the old one's "Ooh Roger Palmer!" or the finger waving referee.

Great to see the Trust speak out though.

I have emailed the club for a refund and they have said yes. I have to add though, its from my season ticket kickback from last year so the club had taken my money so to speak when the were refunding the amount form the March winning streak

Reason why I asked is that I donated to a scoreboard, of which some revenue it would generate would go back into A) Trust warchest  and  B.other fans initiatives.

The fact that the club have only paid a "deposit" and taken on another financial burden over god knows how many season/years before it will start paying for itself, is another bone of contention for me too

Edited by underdog

I understand the annoyance and the upset that these 'underhand' tactics has brought, that said in the long term surely perimeter boards will bring in more revenue to the club than a scoreboard?

I might be well off but sounds logical, I don't agree with the way it has been done and I certainly don't agree with how long this has taken but this surely generates more income...where that income goes is another matter up for discussion (which I won't bother going into)

This was the reason why some of us didn't donate in the first place.

Surely the discussion was had at the time what if we fall short of the target what will we do then?

Its the usual poor form from the club and the Trust are right to kick up a fuss about this.

It surprises me that the providers of electronic perimeter advertising boards don't also hook clubs up with some or all of the advertisers and, therefore, just pay the club for having them and advertising their advertisers. 

"Stick these in and we'll pay you £50k a season" or however much....

12 minutes ago, unsworthlatic said:

I understand the annoyance and the upset that these 'underhand' tactics has brought, that said in the long term surely perimeter boards will bring in more revenue to the club than a scoreboard?

I might be well off but sounds logical, I don't agree with the way it has been done and I certainly don't agree with how long this has taken but this surely generates more income...where that income goes is another matter up for discussion (which I won't bother going into)

Will it generate more income though? it will replace the current hoardings and I doubt our advertisers will pay to generate content for an animated perimeter advert. We also don't have many TV games where these things really make money.

Just now, jorvik_latic said:

Will it generate more income though? it will replace the current hoardings and I doubt our advertisers will pay to generate content for an animated perimeter advert. We also don't have many TV games where these things really make money.

We're not on live television very often granted but highlights are shown on Sky Sports Score Centre and goals on that crap channel 5 programme so publicity isn't too much of an issue I wouldn't have thought.

The reason I thought it would generate more income is because you can have multiple sponsors on the perimeter boards which would mean you could have more sponsors than the present static ones.

I do stand corrected as I don't really have too much of a clue but I reckon perimeter boards provide more income and more advertising purely because all the premier league have them?

23 minutes ago, unsworthlatic said:

You may well be right about the revenue but it's not really the point, is it?  How much would a crowdfunding initiative for perimeter advertising boards have raised?  Fuck all.