Summary of Questions Received - "Ask the Chairman"

Guest nonaenever

Guest nonaenever

Good afternoon,

Further to my posts 1. "Taking up the Offer to Meet the Chairman" and 2. "OAFC - Oldham Athletic Fans' Charter", it would seem to make sense to run these in tandem for the time being. There has been an excellent response to 1. - with over 100 questions being emailed to me - thank you very much to all contributors for finding the time to do that. As you would expect, many questions are similar, so after de-duplicating, we are down to about 50. I have categorised them loosely into subject sub-headings of :-

a Finances/Corporate Structure (e.g. Brass Bank Limited etc.) - the bulk of questions submitted are around this

b North Stand

c Team/Management/Youth Development

d Other (e.g. club strategy, Jimmy Frizzell stand, OAFC Fans' Charter etc)

It's important to note that we must avoid any statements that may be deemed defamatory (libel and slander), particularly as the interview is to be filmed. Limited companies can be subject of defamation as can individuals, so the questions will be worded to bear this in mind.

Personally, I think 50 is too many (thinking of an average of 2 mins to answer each question) - ideally think an interview of 1 hour should be the max. Are people generally okay with stripping the 50 down to 30 questions about the most pertinent matters?​ (I promise to be objective around that and not subjective).

The questions will be unedited (unless any danger of defamation) and dpwild (think that's the name on here) is the only one who has volunteered (or is able) to attend with me to put these to Mr Corney - thank you for that dp. If I`ve missed a comment elsewhere on the site for anyone else willing to attend; apologies and please let me know if that is the case.

Thanks again and I`ll monitor responses - as I`ve mentioned elsewhere, I am still awaiting the Trust to confirm this Tuesday for an initial meeting - will then take forward regarding the Chairman's offer to meet.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nonanever

No sarcasm or unhelpful messages so far in response from your opening post which shows how serious the topic is to everyone :chubb:

Don't know who you are but for what its worth, personally I think you've played a blinder and your obvious commitment and passion for our Club is admirable

For me the number of questions need to be significantly reduced to ensure it doesn't feel like an inquisition, so a small number (maybe 10-12 'key questions') that focus on the majority of supporters main concerns which are the finances of the Club. if we cant qualify our financial circumstances, all our other questions matter less.

Edited by tGWB

nonanever

No sarcasm or unhelpful messages so far in response from your opening post which shows how serious the topic is to everyone :chubb:

Don't know who you are but for what its worth, personally I think you've played a blinder and your obvious commitment and passion for our Club is admirable

For me the number of questions need to be significantly reduced to ensure it doesn't feel like an inquisition, so a small number (maybe 10-12 'key questions') that focus on the majority of supporters main concerns which are the finances of the Club. if we cant qualify our financial circumstances, all our other questions matter less.

Yes.

Guest nonaenever

Thank you for the very kind messages and I also note the comments, and agree, that we should whittle the number of questions down to about a dozen - with perhaps half a dozen others in reserve. Certainly some of the issues can be combined into one well-worded question at a time without losing impact.

I am meeting with Simon Brooke and Diane Mellor of the Trust tomorrow afternoon when I hope there might be an update on the Chairman's availability for the "question time".

I will provide an update ASAP after tomorrow's initial meeting.

Thanks everyone - it's nice to interact with fans who clearly care passionately about the Latics.

Thank you for the very kind messages and I also note the comments, and agree, that we should whittle the number of questions down to about a dozen - with perhaps half a dozen others in reserve. Certainly some of the issues can be combined into one well-worded question at a time without losing impact.

I am meeting with Simon Brooke and Diane Mellor of the Trust tomorrow afternoon when I hope there might be an update on the Chairman's availability for the "question time".

I will provide an update ASAP after tomorrow's initial meeting.

Thanks everyone - it's nice to interact with fans who clearly care passionately about the Latics.

I just hope these questions are ones SC hasn't answered before, otherwise he will just be repeating himself.

After tonight's GMR phone in I would suggest that questions centred around the sale of the club should be somewhere near the top of that list.

Matt Chambers intimated that several potential buyers had lost interest in the club when met with resistance at the 'due diligence' stage of proceedings.

The club has been for sale effectively for almost a decade and apart from Koukash and the guy from Chester whose offers were deemed inappropriate there has been no sign of any serious bids..........It seems something is clearly putting off potential purchasers completing any deal, and if true, unless this can be resolved, the long term future of the club must be in serious doubt!

Well done for leading the charge here.

My biggest issue in recent times has been the disconnection between fans and club and that the club is seemingly unable to really understand the fans' perspective. The fans view the club and its owners with suspicion and vice versa. For a club of the size and stature of oafc that is hugely damaging. Corneys recent interview only served to reinforce my perception that the void between the fans and owners is extremely wide. They are simply not on the same page at the moment.

I would like to think this can change but proper engagement between the fans and the club is critical. It has to be driven by fans though. Silly questionnaires on our website don't do it. There are means and ways of engaging with fans on a more personal level. Faceless and impersonal questionnaires really aren't the way forward for a club like us.

I really hope this is the start of an improved relationship.

Lastly, Corney's continual reference to 'letting fans see the books' says it all to me about his clear misunderstanding of our perspective and the issues we have as fans. I don't doubt for one minute that the books don't make for good reading.

My issue, and that of most fans, is the fact that we would appear to have little chance of progress under the current regime. A regime that has overseen continual year on year decline and yet we are supposed to buy into the view that he has done a good job for keeping us in league 1.

That's not what motivates football fans mate. You clearly don't get it.

My biggest issue in recent times has been the disconnection between fans and club and that the club is seemingly unable to really understand the fans' perspective. The fans view the club and its owners with suspicion and vice versa. For a club of the size and stature of oafc that is hugely damaging. Corneys recent interview only served to reinforce my perception that the void between the fans and owners is extremely wide. They are simply not on the same page at the moment.

I would like to think this can change but proper engagement between the fans and the club is critical. It has to be driven by fans though. Silly questionnaires on our website don't do it. There are means and ways of engaging with fans on a more personal level. Faceless and impersonal questionnaires really aren't the way forward for a club like us.

Lastly, Corney's continual reference to 'letting fans see the books' says it all to me about his clear misunderstanding of our perspective and the issues we have as fans. I don't doubt for one minute that the books don't make for good reading.

My issue, and that of most fans, is the fact that we would appear to have little chance of progress under the current regime. A regime that has overseen continual year on year decline and yet we are supposed to buy into the view that he has done a good job for keeping us in league 1.

Where do you believe we should be? (I'm not saying i believe we're smashing it to still be in league 1)

Do not give Simon or Diane a cooy of the questions to be asked, I probably sound cynical but these could be passed to Corney for him to 'think up' any possible answers.

Why would they?

What makes you so sure it's not similar or same questions the trust have been asking anyway?

So I'm curious if this charter/fans Q and A gets the same responses too, or if more will be revealed due to a different method

Dr evil - we are a league 2 size club these days and that is our level. But our current owner has overseen a period when we have gone from mid league 1 in stature to lower half of league 2 in stature. When put in that context I hope you can understand why I will never accept that we should greateful to him just for keeping us in league

Do not give Simon or Diane a cooy of the questions to be asked, I probably sound cynical but these could be passed to Corney for him to 'think up' any possible answers.

I think we can afford to be a bit more grown up about this. Primarily, because it's not that hard to work out the top 20 questions any way.

We need a couple of curve ballers, and softer ones to help open SC up.

There is a case for allowing the questions to be viewedin advance, as SC will then be more relaxed in the interview and not clam up.

Psychologist have confirmed that it is 14 times more successful with a rapport building approach. Far more is revealed if a neutral and respectful stance is adopted. And if the surroundings were comfortable, including "home turf", then even more is revealed.

Gung Ho is counter productive.

Agree that we should allow them to see the questions first. A 'them and us attitude' isn't conducive to building bridges. Fans and owners need to build some trust between them if the fans are are going to allowed to have some positive influences in moving this club forward

Exactly - but some (albeit a vocal minority) have been brainwashed into obsessing about the financials though,

Like the bloke on GMR last night who whistfully said "If you could offer me 16th place and zero debt right now I'd snap your hand off"