Summary of Questions Received - "Ask the Chairman"

Guest nonaenever

Would it not also be a good idea, if not even more important, for nonanever or someone to have a really good look at the day to day workings & running of the club off the pitch that appear to be the second most major contributor to us being skint after the low gate receipts?

Some of the systems and procedures in place mustn't/can't be up to scratch - an objective viewpoint of someone from the outside looking in might be really useful...

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nonaenever

Just catching up on the latest comments before I head off to meet with the Trust. My view is that providing properly constructed questions in advance for the Chairman will actually be beneficial.

We are here to deal in facts; so there can be nothing lost by transparency in my opinion. One of the fundamental reasons for doing this is to try and clear away the rumour and supposition which is flying around. Part of the reason for such rumour etc. is, perhaps, because there hasn't been a policy of regular, clear and concise communication between the Board and fans. That is a major factor that I will be discussing with the Trust today - in some people's eyes (mine included) communication could have been better.

I agree with the sentiment that, despite the Trust's best efforts, the void between the club and its loyal fans has never been wider.

It speaks volumes even just using language like, "the club" and "the fans" (I know I do!) - it should simply be "our club" (i.e. club and fans as one). That's on of the aims via the Charter - to quote a horrible political phrase (apologies!) - "we are all in it together" (or should be).

Hope to have some positive news after the meeting later today.

dpwild - noted your comments about the actual meeting with the Chairman in due course - I will update you via email.

Thanks for everyone's contributions - we are making progress and hopefully it shows we care passionately about "our club"

Guest nonaenever

Would it not also be a good idea, if not even more important, for nonanever or someone to have a really good look at the day to day workings & running of the club off the pitch that appear to be the second most major contributor to us being skint after the low gate receipts?

Some of the systems and procedures in place mustn't/can't be up to scratch - an objective viewpoint of someone from the outside looking in might be really useful...

Harry - a very good point. Almost an "independent audit". I like it but I think, presently, there is a long way to go in building bridges first.

Maybe one for the back burner to broach in the future?

Looking at the books is pointless unless you actually know what your looking at. It would be better to leave that until a qualified ccountant can accompany nonenever to a future meeting, and as you say nnn give chance for supporters to build a rapport with the club first.

That is of course on the assumption your not actually an accountant nnn?

Looking at the books is pointless unless you actually know what your looking at. It would be better to leave that until a qualified ccountant can accompany nonenever to a future meeting, and as you say nnn give chance for supporters to build a rapport with the club first.

It's not what's in the books that's the problem it's how those books ended up as they did.

What's happening NOW on and off the pitch to make sure the next several years set of books, the team and the future of the club will improve? And what can we do to help?

It's not what's in the books that's the problem it's how those books ended up as they did.

What's happening NOW on and off the pitch to make sure the next several years set of books, the team and the future of the club will improve? And what can we do to help?

You have taken my post completely out of context.

All I mean is if we are going to look at them let's have someone look at them who knows what they are talking about rather than the eyes of a layman

Just catching up on the latest comments before I head off to meet with the Trust. My view is that providing properly constructed questions in advance for the Chairman will actually be beneficial.

We are here to deal in facts; so there can be nothing lost by transparency in my opinion. One of the fundamental reasons for doing this is to try and clear away the rumour and supposition which is flying around. Part of the reason for such rumour etc. is, perhaps, because there hasn't been a policy of regular, clear and concise communication between the Board and fans. That is a major factor that I will be discussing with the Trust today - in some people's eyes (mine included) communication could have been better.

I agree with the sentiment that, despite the Trust's best efforts, the void between the club and its loyal fans has never been wider.

It speaks volumes even just using language like, "the club" and "the fans" (I know I do!) - it should simply be "our club" (i.e. club and fans as one). That's on of the aims via the Charter - to quote a horrible political phrase (apologies!) - "we are all in it together" (or should be).

Hope to have some positive news after the meeting later today.

dpwild - noted your comments about the actual meeting with the Chairman in due course - I will update you via email.

Thanks for everyone's contributions - we are making progress and hopefully it shows we care passionately about "our club"

Can I ask and maybe I've missed this but the Chairman invited fans to speak to him.

Why are the trust involved when it's obvious reading this board that many of the same fans don't trust them believing rightly or wrongly that they havent looked after the best interests of the fans?

I can't see allowing him to see the questions beforehand will make much difference, I doubt there will be any curve balls thrown at him, he'll know what to expect. Plus he will dodge any ones he doesn't want to answer like a politician in any case.

Undecided about the Trust's involvement, part of me feels these are the types of questions that should have been asked by them (maybe they have) and reported back to the fans long ago. If, for whatever reason they haven't maybe it is time to let someone else have a go.

I can't see allowing him to see the questions beforehand will make much difference, I doubt there will be any curve balls thrown at him, he'll know what to expect. Plus he will dodge any ones he doesn't want to answer like a politician in any case.

Undecided about the Trust's involvement, part of me feels these are the types of questions that should have been asked by them (maybe they have) and reported back to the fans long ago. If, for whatever reason they haven't maybe it is time to let someone else have a go.

Whether he 'dodges' any questions will depend on the tenacity of the questioner. If he doesn't answer the question then put it to him again. If he is avoiding answering then something like: 'so Simon, to be absolutely clear, you are not prepared to answer the question?' should focus his mind somewhat...

Well done for leading the charge here.

My biggest issue in recent times has been the disconnection between fans and club and that the club is seemingly unable to really understand the fans' perspective. The fans view the club and its owners with suspicion and vice versa. For a club of the size and stature of oafc that is hugely damaging. Corneys recent interview only served to reinforce my perception that the void between the fans and owners is extremely wide. They are simply not on the same page at the moment.

I would like to think this can change but proper engagement between the fans and the club is critical. It has to be driven by fans though. Silly questionnaires on our website don't do it. There are means and ways of engaging with fans on a more personal level. Faceless and impersonal questionnaires really aren't the way forward for a club like us.

I really hope this is the start of an improved relationship.

Lastly, Corney's continual reference to 'letting fans see the books' says it all to me about his clear misunderstanding of our perspective and the issues we have as fans. I don't doubt for one minute that the books don't make for good reading.

My issue, and that of most fans, is the fact that we would appear to have little chance of progress under the current regime. A regime that has overseen continual year on year decline and yet we are supposed to buy into the view that he has done a good job for keeping us in league 1.

That's not what motivates football fans mate. You clearly don't get it.

The disconnect started with being moved out of the Chaddy using a silly consultation which involved one person with a clip board. The majority in their didn't want to move, but they were totally ignored. A club like City can get away with doing things like that, but not a club which needs it's supporters on board. The fans in the JF stand wanted everyone together to improve the atmosphere, then moved away themselves to the North Stand. The atmosphere in the JF stand is far worse than the Chaddy ever was.

Looking a the clubs books will only show what we already know. The books aren't up to date, and won't show where individual amounts come from eg. rent from OEC.

Any buyer would have to be prepared to put millions into the club, with little prospect of getting it back. An outside investor from somewhere like China won't touch it with a barge pole. It would have to be a genuine fan like Whelan at Wigan.

The disconnect started with being moved out of the Chaddy using a silly consultation which involved one person with a clip board. The majority in their didn't want to move, but they were totally ignored. A club like City can get away with doing things like that, but not a club which needs it's supporters on board. The fans in the JF stand wanted everyone together to improve the atmosphere, then moved away themselves to the North Stand. The atmosphere in the JF stand is far worse than the Chaddy ever was.

Looking a the clubs books will only show what we already know. The books aren't up to date, and won't show where individual amounts come from eg. rent from OEC.

Any buyer would have to be prepared to put millions into the club, with little prospect of getting it back. An outside investor from somewhere like China won't touch it with a barge pole. It would have to be a genuine fan like Whelan at Wigan.

Would the books actually show the the many 'undisclosed' fees?

You have taken my post completely out of context.

All I mean is if we are going to look at them let's have someone look at them who knows what they are talking about rather than the eyes of a layman

I know. But why?

People have looked at the books before. Everything will be in order legally etc...

I don't think SC specifically mentioned the books this time anyway did he? I thought it was an invitation to come and grill him live on camera...?

It's the running of the club on and off the pitch from top to bottom that's the problem. Not some numbers that end up being in the books as a result of that.

Why do we generate so much less income than we used to both through gate receipts (we pretty much know the answer to that) and commercial activities? What's being done to ensure we generate more money moving forward to make it more likely that we can improve the team & become a more attractive option for somebody to buy? Or a more attractive option for Blitz & Gazal to chuck a few quid in again?

What's being done to break this cycle of :censored: up after :censored: up?

What I'm failing to grasp is The Trusts position in all this, a week or two ago we were told as fans that information isn't divulged and The Trusts approach isn't shared because it wants to protect the brand and integrity of OAFC and protect any future dealings we may have with third parties.

I totally understand that and thought that would be that, a week later the Chairman once pushed into a corner through the Mike Keegan story that ran in The Mail comes out all guns blazing happy to be filmed whilst a handful of disgruntled fans fire questions at him, now that tells me the Chairman is happy to go on record and answer questions and grievances that a lot of our fans have but our own Trusts position is that sensitive information can't be shared with the same fans, it seems to totally contradict what we were told in the week previously.

I suspect the Trust really have no idea of the problems we face and if I'm wrong and they do why on earth are they not trying to engage with the fans to try and sort it out.

Guest nonaenever

Hi philliggi - probably me that's confused things here by using the term "independent audit" in reply to HarryBosch's original post. I didn't mean an audit in the accounting sense but more in the "business process review" sense - i.e. an independent root and branch review of the whole operation - hopefully, such a thing may have been done in the past by the owner/s - if not it might be beneficial - but as I said my view is one for the back burner for now - bridge building first I think. I am just getting something to eat and will then update re. my meeting with the Trust.

What is most interesting is everyone's approach to this whole thing.

If you read this forum, and take Simon Corney's approach, then there is a great deal of vocalise antagonism to the Board.

But, it has been a very positive approach, people have been keen to get involved, and simply a desire to know more.

I think that is something to build on.

Guest nonaenever

Can I ask and maybe I've missed this but the Chairman invited fans to speak to him.

Why are the trust involved when it's obvious reading this board that many of the same fans don't trust them believing rightly or wrongly that they havent looked after the best interests of the fans?

Hi palmer1 - it was decided to try and run this in tandem with the "OAFC - Oldham Athletic Fans' Charter" idea - if you look on that thread at 3.28pm on 18/11 that entry should hopefully answer your question - cheers

Up pops defensive 'Trust' member to try and justify the Trusts worth, may I suggest this may not of come about if we'd have had a Trust that held to account rather than protecting it's position at the table.

You know I was going to bite...and damn hard too...but you know I can't be arsed

What is most interesting is everyone's approach to this whole thing.

If you read this forum, and take Simon Corney's approach, then there is a great deal of vocalise antagonism to the Board.

But, it has been a very positive approach, people have been keen to get involved, and simply a desire to know more.

I think that is something to build on.

Is there still a board in operation?...I know there are people registered at corporates house and I know there have been some resignations/movers. When's the last time any meeting notes were published, aren't they suppose to?

I don't disagree they will be legal. However I would argue that legal and best for the club may be 2 different things entirely.

But they're a record of what's happened rather than what's going to happen.

We know what's happened and we know it was :censored:.

Edited by HarryBosch