Summary of Questions Received - "Ask the Chairman"

Guest nonaenever

Give us some instances.

Hiring Darren Kelly although at the time it the hope was he'd turn out like LJ.

Giving Dunn the job. No idea on that one

Going after Ched. I thought we should have signed him but understand some of he criticism

There's 3. 2 were obviously well intentioned. David Dunn I can't defend

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there still a board in operation?...I know there are people registered at corporates house and I know there have been some resignations/movers. When's the last time any meeting notes were published, aren't they suppose to?

No requirement for board minutes to be published.

Just a further thought - whilst asking questions of the chairman, it is also important that he understands our concerns as fans. These will be inherent in the questions of course but would the whole session benefit from a short opening statement to Corney to provide some context to the questions that follow? A scene setter. He needs to understand the sentiment behind the questions. It's not just a q and a session but an opportunity to get a clear message to the chairman.

Happy to draft an opening gambit

Is there still a board in operation?...I know there are people registered at corporates house and I know there have been some resignations/movers. When's the last time any meeting notes were published, aren't they suppose to?

Isn't Simon Brooke on the board? He's a director of the club, so he should be.

Unless I've misunderstood what you mean?

I was talking in general terms, but the current Board I think is:

Simon Corney

Mark Moisey

Simon Brooke

Anthony Gee

Ian Hill

Barry Owen.

Isn't Simon Brooke on the board? He's a director of the club, so he should be.

Unless I've misunderstood what you mean?

I didn't really explain it did I, apologies...

Yep we have monthly trust board meetings and notes are published but does the club?

As a fan I'm asking Is there anyone on the club board left to help the chairman with a business plan/financial planning? I don think they meet as offen as the Trust board does. Why is the chairman shouldering the burden alone? Or seems to be doing this alone and if so why?

I know the trust are helping where we can, the trust rep is there one day a week and on match days too. But what are the others doing? surely they have a responsibility to secure the future of OAFC too as directors? We have heard from the Chairman, we have heard from the Trust but what about the rest of the board?

Just a thought, but I'm curious....

Edited by underdog

Guest nonaenever

Update : Met with Diane Mellor and Simon Brooke of "Trust Oldham" for 2 and a half hours this afternoon. The meeting was to discuss two current ideas; the OAFC - Oldham Athletic Fans' Charter and the recent invite from the Chairman to do a filmed session answering fans' questions. A succinct summary:-

1. We had an open, honest and mature exchange of views and ideas.
  2. Having now met them both, I do not doubt the commitment and good intentions of Trust Oldham - and credit to them as they are all volunteers.
  3. I stressed that for me to get involved in this type of issue shows how bad things have become from a fans' perspective. I don't normally do this sort of thing but have been shocked by how many "dyed in the wool" supporters have abandoned (or are considering abandoning) the club.
  4. The Trust acknowledge that there may be "room" for a truly independent supporters' group such as that proposed via the Charter.
  5. They caveated the above by pointing out that independent groups already exist, so care would be needed not to further fragment support.
  6. They accepted that their "seat on the board" might lead some fans to be cynical but were absolutely adamant the benefits of that position far outweighed the negatives.
  7. There are several Trust initiatives "in the pipeline" which already pick up on aspects of the proposed Charter - they will come to fruition over the coming months.
  8. It was acknowledged that communication from the Trust could be improved and, again, background work around that will bear fruit soon.
  9. My closing sentiment to them was that there is little doubt that a distinct % of Latics' fans felt disenfranchised from the Trust (and club). They needed to be cognizant of that and find a way to appeal to the full spectrum of fans (including the "common or garden" footy fan who likes a few pints and doesn't bother too much with the internet - a lot of fans who have engaged with me fall into this category).

Diane and Simon - a big thank you for finding the time to meet with me - you didn't have to do, so credit for that.

So, my feelings presently in regard to the Charter are to place it on the back burner for now and see if the Trust's pipeline initiatives come to fruition as promised. It's definitely not dead in the water but I feel this is currently the right thing to do.

​Regarding the Chairman's invitation to meet and ask questions, I can't help but think that he has thrown open the door and asked the fans to "come meet me and ask me anything" - and that hasn't been taken up as he might have expected it to be. Can I just pose one last question to forum users please?

1. Rather than the current proposal (just dpwild and I asking the questions) would you prefer it if the Chairman were to go on stage (perhaps with another director/s) to answer "questions from the floor" from an audience of fans?

This would still be filmed and I am told this format is viable.

Finally, sorry for the long post! Thank you.

Update : Met with Diane Mellor and Simon Brooke of "Trust Oldham" for 2 and a half hours this afternoon. The meeting was to discuss two current ideas; the OAFC - Oldham Athletic Fans' Charter and the recent invite from the Chairman to do a filmed session answering fans' questions. A succinct summary:-

1. We had an open, honest and mature exchange of views and ideas.
  2. Having now met them both, I do not doubt the commitment and good intentions of Trust Oldham - and credit to them as they are all volunteers.
  3. I stressed that for me to get involved in this type of issue shows how bad things have become from a fans' perspective. I don't normally do this sort of thing but have been shocked by how many "dyed in the wool" supporters have abandoned (or are considering abandoning) the club.
  4. The Trust acknowledge that there may be "room" for a truly independent supporters' group such as that proposed via the Charter.
  5. They caveated the above by pointing out that independent groups already exist, so care would be needed not to further fragment support.
  6. They accepted that their "seat on the board" might lead some fans to be cynical but were absolutely adamant the benefits of that position far outweighed the negatives.
  7. There are several Trust initiatives "in the pipeline" which already pick up on aspects of the proposed Charter - they will come to fruition over the coming months.
  8. It was acknowledged that communication from the Trust could be improved and, again, background work around that will bear fruit soon.
  9. My closing sentiment to them was that there is little doubt that a distinct % of Latics' fans felt disenfranchised from the Trust (and club). They needed to be cognizant of that and find a way to appeal to the full spectrum of fans (including the "common or garden" footy fan who likes a few pints and doesn't bother too much with the internet - a lot of fans who have engaged with me fall into this category).

Diane and Simon - a big thank you for finding the time to meet with me - you didn't have to do, so credit for that.

So, my feelings presently in regard to the Charter are to place it on the back burner for now and see if the Trust's pipeline initiatives come to fruition as promised. It's definitely not dead in the water but I feel this is currently the right thing to do.

​Regarding the Chairman's invitation to meet and ask questions, I can't help but think that he has thrown open the door and asked the fans to "come meet me and ask me anything" - and that hasn't been taken up as he might have expected it to be. Can I just pose one last question to forum users please?

1. Rather than the current proposal (just dpwild and I asking the questions) would you prefer it if the Chairman were to go on stage (perhaps with another director/s) to answer "questions from the floor" from an audience of fans?

This would still be filmed and I am told this format is viable.

Finally, sorry for the long post! Thank you.

Thank you all for taking the time.

Personally speaking, ideally, I'd like to be greedy and have both (well all 3 including the formally written submitted questions)

The larger group could be beneficial for feeling involved, and even the possibility of lifting spirits if it goes well..

But, the filmed one to one (well several) also benefits of being tight and succints.

In terms of answers, I'd still prefer the one to one.

But if you are being guided to a more open forum then that has to be better than the current situation,

Yep we have monthly trust board meetings and notes are published but does the club?

As a fan I'm asking Is there anyone on the club board left to help the chairman with a business plan/financial planning? I don think they meet as offen as the Trust board does. Why is the chairman shouldering the burden alone? Or seems to be doing this alone and if so why?

I know the trust are helping where we can, the trust rep is there one day a week and on match days too. But what are the others doing? surely they have a responsibility to secure the future of OAFC too as directors? We have heard from the Chairman, we have heard from the Trust but what about the rest of the board?

Hi Tracy, I really don't want this to sound like I am having a pop, but I think you guys should know exactly about this sort of thing.

It's clear that NNN has satisfied himself that all of you on the Trust is working hard at improving things, and that is good enough for me at this stage, but I'd be happier if the Trust could undertake and communicate more of a custodian role, whilst clearly not harming a relationship that has grown.

Hard to explain just on a messageboard, I really am not having a go, and obviously since SB has taken over the Trust is evolving.

A very good question to ask SC, apart from simon Brooke, what actual work do the other directors do for the club?

A very good question to ask SC, apart from Simon Brooke, what actual work do the other directors do for the club ?

Edited by BP1960

Hi Tracy, I really don't want this to sound like I am having a pop, but I think you guys should know exactly about this sort of thing.

It's clear that NNN has satisfied himself that all of you on the Trust is working hard at improving things, and that is good enough for me at this stage, but I'd be happier if the Trust could undertake and communicate more of a custodian role, whilst clearly not harming a relationship that has grown.

Hard to explain just on a messageboard, I really am not having a go, and obviously since SB has taken over the Trust is evolving.

I don't take it as a pop at all, I know what the Trust are working on, what we know with regards to facts and not from the fiction that is materialising around our club, what we can say/can't say and when it's the best time to say it too with regards to ramifications/responsibilities.

I was just posting it as a fan..asking what support the chairman is getting from the members of his board team.

Yes we acknowledge trust communication is not the greatest, we are a small team 12 volunteers, who have other daily responsibilities I'm afraid. we did set ourselves targets like latics4life relaunch, former players association launch, fan fundraising, trust fundraising (war chest). Some have Happened, some the timing with things going on at the club..wasn't right at all.

Just feels the timing is bloody out in all things latics related at the moment.

I an glad NNN, met with Diane and Simon Brooke, they are human....well when I see them they are..hahah

We all knew it was going to be a tough season...who knew it was going to be this tough.

Care would be needed not to further fragment support.

Really!!

Here we go...

For someone who is busy hiding from his invitation don't even think about ripping apart anything nonaenever has come back with whether it be his words or the trusts. You do nothing. At least these people are trying to help in some way

Personally I would prefer the questions to be asked by 2,3 or 4 fans, which is what SC asked for An open forum could get out of hand and we would not get as much out of him as we would with close questioning by a small number of people who can have a pleasant discussion with him. He will offer far more answers if he doesn't feel threatened.

I will continue to say what the :censored: I want Mcduff, why don't you wind your neck in. I wasn't aware that you were the Forum police, just to put the record straight I applaud what nnn is trying to do but am of the opinion that the Chairman and the Trust are not fit for purpose and as such should be replaced on mass, neither are effective and have the same basic flaw of not being able to engage with the fans.

Now I know for some reason you will defend SC till the end but the problem I have is that whilst people like you defend him and don't hold him accountable he probably thinks he has wide spread support when in reality he doesn't, if you think crowds are bad now wait for season ticket sales for next season to witness the levels of discontent that exist on the terraces.

It's going to take a monumental turnaround to sort this mess out and still there seems to be no plan running further than the end of this week. An owner who doesn't want to be here, majority of fans who don't want him here and a Trust that struggles to bridge the gap between the two.

I will continue to say what the :censored: I want Mcduff, why don't you wind your neck in. I wasn't aware that you were the Forum police, just to put the record straight I applaud what nnn is trying to do but am of the opinion that the Chairman and the Trust are not fit for purpose and as such should be replaced on mass, neither are effective and have the same basic flaw of not being able to engage with the fans.

Now I know for some reason you will defend SC till the end but the problem I have is that whilst people like you defend him and don't hold him accountable he probably thinks he has wide spread support when in reality he doesn't, if you think crowds are bad now wait for season ticket sales for next season to witness the levels of discontent that exist on the terraces.

It's going to take a monumental turnaround to sort this mess out and still there seems to be no plan running further than the end of this week. An owner who doesn't want to be here, majority of fans who don't want him here and a Trust that struggles to bridge the gap between the two.

Yes you do, without any true understanding of the situations because it's your opinion that's all. Why don't you actually get involved and meet the people, speak with people in the know? Typing on social media site can be hard to judge the tone If you know what I mean. There is an open invite to meet the chairman and you can always attend a trust event, meet up with one of us on match days if that's easier if you want.

Get involved, help to change things

What would your alternative to the trust be, or how would you improve the trust?