Anthony Gerrard

Don't understand why people knock him, even on here people are still sniping despite him being one of the main reasons we stayed up last year, great bit of business in my view.

For the first time I 100% agree with you. A player that even when challenging for a 50/50 header still looks to find his own player. Very good footballing brain. Cracking signing ESPECIALLY on a longer deal. He's only 30 FFS

For the first time I 100% agree with you. A player that even when challenging for a 50/50 header still looks to find his own player. Very good footballing brain. Cracking signing ESPECIALLY on a longer deal. He's only 30 FFS

agree with this, him and Clarke may well be the best pairing in this league.

Guest nonaenever

I don't think anyone would argue that he was, along with some other factors, fundamental in our staying up last season. You could see he wouldn't get bullied by anyone and had an arrogance about him that wound the opposition up good style. Part of me remains to be convinced that he and Clarke will be the perfect pairing (mainly because both like to be "the Daddy" and perhaps lack pace) but I really hope my lingering doubts in that regard are soon vanished. With Edmundson learning from these 2 (and a competent back-up) and Wilson able to cover as well - we look to have a very solid league one defensive base (a really strong left back aside?).

At set plays too; Clarke and Gerrard forward together (with someone dropping back to cover) would strike fear into any opposition at this level - we haven't done that for a while.

Part of me remains to be convinced that he and Clarke will be the perfect pairing (mainly because both like to be "the Daddy" and perhaps lack pace) but I really hope my lingering doubts in that regard are soon vanished.

You may be right but Morgan & Huth were effective enough last season just by remaining central, letting opposition have the ball out wide & winning everything in the middle.