Anthony Gerrard

5 minutes ago, 4froale said:

Saw Kean Bryan in the bookies in Ashton last night. Asked him about Abdullah, he was pretty tight lipped but said he doesn't think Al as bad as being made out but said he is basically a bit of a spoon.

2 minutes ago, 4froale said:

Also said even Jack Byrne doesn't know what's going on in regards his situation.

Terrific. 

If that’s the case, it sounds quite personal. As in Byrne has rubbed AL the wrong way, and he’s just banished him. Because he can. 

Just now, mcfluff1985 said:

Basically you've no idea nor does anyone else on here so why don't you wait to see if you find out rather than speculate 

He’s suspended indefinitely, that’s a fact. People have spoke to him.

1 minute ago, Ryan said:

He’s suspended indefinitely, that’s a fact. People have spoke to him.

Have you? Is it fact? It's not fact. It's speculation at the moment. It's also been said in here that he isn't playing because his apprearance fee is too high. Or he broke Fane's leg on purpose. Or he shagged AL's wife. Or he shot JFK from the grassy knoll. Try posting something positive for a change. You're up there wig one of the most negative people on here and only come here to moan about the club, or AL, or Frankie Bunn etc.

He doesn’t know when he’s suspended till, multiple people have spoken to him/other players and it’d be a weird thing to lie about. Agreed that everything else with regards to why he has been suspended is speculation.

I haven’t moaned about Bunn since a few days after he was appointed, other than the fact he appears to be a bit of a puppet. I reckon he’s actually decent at the coaching side of things and the players seem to like him. I’ve praised AL for some things (ticket prices, renaming BP back etc) but I will not defend the indefensible such as staff being treated like shite. 

I think I’m quite fair - it’s not like I don’t ever give the club credit when there’s something to be positive about. Not going to lie,  I take it as a compliment when a fanbase who claps the players off after a relegation considers me to be a negative bastard.

Edited by Ryan

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

He wasn't sacked for this either. The sacking process was already started when the club found this...

Yeah, the article contradicts itself - states we sacked him for it then a couple of paragraphs later says we'd already sacked him and "were later informed...". Basically 2 completely unrelated facts, although it may have dissuaded him from appealing. 

In the interest of balance, a joke - even a tasteless one - about a religion does not necessarily equal racism.

Expressing bigoted views on the basis of race is abhorrent and it’s quite right he should be outed on it, if indeed this is what he has done.

However, the practices of a religion should be no less imune from ridicule than someone’s belief that the earth is flat IMO.

It’s gets up my nose when people who believe in a religion - which I defend their right to do - get all pious when someone makes of fun of it.

22 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

In the interest of balance, a joke - even a tasteless one - about a religion does not necessarily equal racism.

Expressing bigoted views on the basis of race is abhorrent and it’s quite right he should be outed on it, if indeed this is what he has done.

However, the practices of a religion should be no less imune from ridicule than someone’s belief that the earth is flat IMO.

It’s gets up my nose when people who believe in a religion - which I defend their right to do - get all pious when someone makes of fun of it.

I see no reason to defend against the article's claims without knowing the exact context of the joke. It says racist when they could have used Islamophobic if they wanted to be careful.

And as much as it's possible Gerrard navigated the delicate, intricate line between making a pointed jibe at a religion's anachronistic traditions, or having a laugh at the expense of Asian people... Well that's for everyone to come to their own conclusions about, until we know the whole story.

We can only imagine the repercussions this made around the players, especially around pre-season when squad harmony is trying to be created. Speculation is foolish around such a sensitive topic, but it does make me think about all the different things managers have to take care of around football teams from day to day!

Have to say though, splashing Steven Gerrard's name and picture all over the article is properly lowest of the low reporting, it's nothing to do with him.

Edited by Simpo