Anthony Gerrard

55 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Everybody* who has ever seen Gerrard play football knows that, if we could have got Surridge running at him, then he would have been in for a torrid afternoon. I even posted it on one of the other topics earlier in the week.

*Everybody, it seems, apart from Frankie Bunn...

It did happen once yesterday. Gerrard was caught isolated facing his own goal with Surridge pressing him... but experience won out over youth in the end with Surridge putting his hands on Gerrard’s back resulting in a free kick to Carlisle.

I suppose you could say that experience won in the battle of the respective managers too ?

8 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

It did happen once yesterday. Gerrard was caught isolated facing his own goal with Surridge pressing him... but experience won out over youth in the end with Surridge putting his hands on Gerrard’s back resulting in a free kick to Carlisle.

I suppose you could say that experience won in the battle of the respective managers too ?

Gerrard dived, the ref bought it.

@League one forever Frankie Bunn scored 26 league goals in 78 appearances. Lee Hughes scored 25 league goals in 55 appearances.

OK Lee Hughes is a knob and Bunn's 6 goals in one game will likely remain a league cup record for a long time. But to say Frankie Bunn is a club legend is stretching it a tad, especially the limited (or non) role he played in the promotion season. 

Furthermore he was recommended by Detective Shitpeas, a man who is on record saying that we weren't going for promotion because we couldn't afford it. 

Frankie Bunn had applied for the job before, what changed to give him the job this time? 

22 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

@League one forever Frankie Bunn scored 26 league goals in 78 appearances. Lee Hughes scored 25 league goals in 55 appearances.

OK Lee Hughes is a knob and Bunn's 6 goals in one game will likely remain a league cup record for a long time. But to say Frankie Bunn is a club legend is stretching it a tad, especially the limited (or non) role he played in the promotion season. 

Furthermore he was recommended by Detective Shitpeas, a man who is on record saying that we weren't going for promotion because we couldn't afford it. 

Frankie Bunn had applied for the job before, what changed to give him the job this time? 

Yeah, fair point. Legend is probably streching it a bit. 

I also agree his appointment was odd. But he’s here, and while the football is poor results have been steady. Lots of rookie managers have made worse starts than Bunn. Plus he has an affinity with the club. I think he’s worth sticking with till Christmas at least to see if he can get us going. If he can’t- he goes. Like any other manager. 

I find it amusing that deyers42 thought sacking wellens was harsh after only six months and after he played his part in our relegation. His favourite quote at the time was ‘the sample size of games isn’t enough to judge’ 

An yet he wants Bunn sacked before we’ve played a game. ?

Bizarre. 

11 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I also agree his appointment was odd. But he’s here, and while the football is poor results have been steady. Lots of rookie managers have made worse starts than Bunn. Plus he has an affinity with the club. I think he’s worth sticking with till Christmas at least to see if he can get us going. If he can’t- he goes. Like any other manager. 

I find it amusing that deyers42 thought sacking wellens was harsh after only six months and after he played his part in our relegation. His favourite quote at the time was ‘the sample size of games isn’t enough to judge’ 

Bizarre. 

Sometimes you just get a feel for something.

Considering he went from putting the cones out one day to manager the next Wellens did well when the working conditions were calm, when things got tough he understandably didn't have all the answers, perhaps if Lemsagam hadn't foisted Byrne back on him things might have worked out different.

Bunn has years of coaching experience behind him and presumably has been building towards becoming a manager for much of that time, you wouldn't know it from what we have seen so far.

19 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

No not really from some of the things I've been told about him and how he treats people, saying that he did a job in his first two seasons with us but looks a fucking state again this, be a liability for them once the pitches start playing heavy.

Like Boxing Day? :D

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

Bunn's record stands over a period (and one season in particular) when the club started to establish themselves on the footballing map. Played at Wembley in the final of a major trophy, scored a legendary(!) six goals in one game and helped set the foundations for us to win promotion to the top flight. 

Possibly not worthy of having a stand named after him, but a legend nonetheless..

Edited by JoeP

3 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Bunn's record stands over a period (and one season in particular) when the club started to establish themselves on the footballing map. Played at Wembley in the final of a major trophy, scored a legendary(!) six goals in one game and helped set the foundations for us to win promotion to the top flight. 

Possibly not worthy of having a stand named after him, but a legend nonetheless..

And scored his goals at a level higher than Lee Hughes

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Gerrard felt the hands on his back and went down - we see that free kick given a hundred times in any football weekend. 

Clarke does it every single game near enough. Experience. Edmundson should have done it at one point first half instead he tried playing his way out of trouble

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Sometimes you just get a feel for something.

Considering he went from putting the cones out one day to manager the next Wellens did well when the working conditions were calm, when things got tough he understandably didn't have all the answers, perhaps if Lemsagam hadn't foisted Byrne back on him things might have worked out different.

Bunn has years of coaching experience behind him and presumably has been building towards becoming a manager for much of that time, you wouldn't know it from what we have seen so far.

#samplesize

6 hours ago, League one forever said:

Bizarre. 

Sacking Managers has just become a repetitive bore at OAFC. The same failures at Board level will choose the next one then sack him and so on.

28 minutes ago, laticsmarra said:

Sacking Managers has just become a repetitive bore at OAFC. The same failures at Board level will choose the next one then sack him and so on.

It’s a results driven business. If results are poor, then any manager at any club comes under pressure. However results are steady, so I see no reason to look at Bunn’s position at the minute. If by Christmas the football is still poor, and crucially if results really dip. Then he will be under pressure and rightly so. 

I take your point about our appointments though, if we got right. The revolving door would stop. 

Edited by League one forever

7 hours ago, Mickey Quinn's testicles said:

The other centre half who got out paced by Miller at one point? Yeah he's world class..

You have to be world class to be better than AG?

Miller wouldn’t havd outpaced AG?

Give your head a wobble. 

49 minutes ago, Mickey Quinn's testicles said:

Where did I say Gerrard is world class? An arthritic hamster with some heavy shopping would outpace him. You're the one who said the other centre half was better than him. I'm saying I don't think he was.

Upvote for the arthritic hamster with some heavy shopping ?

21 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Peter Clarke was a part of taking us down but heaven forbid he ever receives any criticism...

The same Clarke who had to cover Gerrards fat arse when he was here and then spent half a season elsewhere.

Pull the other one, it's got bells on ?

20 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

The same Clarke who had to cover Gerrards fat arse when he was here and then spent half a season elsewhere.

Pull the other one, it's got bells on ?

Still played a part in the season therefore by association he is responsible for relegation going off the logic of some.

4 hours ago, Mickey Quinn's testicles said:

Where did I say Gerrard is world class? An arthritic hamster with some heavy shopping would outpace him. You're the one who said the other centre half was better than him. I'm saying I don't think he was.

Yeah he was.