Anthony Gerrard

Made up that he has committed to us, last season we saw what he brings to the table, him and Clarke should be the best defensive pairing in this league.

Now we just need to bring Jose "home" next season perhaps with a Chris Taylor in there.

Dale Stephens is out of contract in the summer...

What you get with AG PC is no messing about third spell playing together, Everton Huddersfield and us. First head to ball not waiting until someone get in first.

What they lack in pace is why they are at Oldham and will have a bad day now and again but both are 8 or 9 out of 10 players at our level and no striker will bully them. Perhaps the 30 month contract plus Holloway is a nod to Shez that club got it wrong by not signing the players that helped last season. Main ??? not playing at Pompey worth a go?? or is McKay an upgrade with a decent forward.

Ngoo could well surprise us if he wants a longer deal.

I would rate main a good 7 at this level, and McKay 3,

If he's not deemed good enough for Div 2 is he really a player we should be going for....decent player when here on loan when looking for a deal but like a lot of players we've had, what's he like afterwards in the comfort zone of a 2 year deal?

Edited by oafc1955

I suspect we saw the very best that Curtis Mains career will offer last season.

By all means re-sign if he is the best option we have, and he was excellent last season....... but I can't help but feel we'll be disappointed....

Absolutely.

Hence why Holloway is a better signing than Main would've been.

Explain to me how you come to that conclusion, for me Mains as good as we've had in the last few years and was all round a better player than Holloway for me.

totally agree, who,s to say that Pompey don't have a bunch of better strikers than us, in fact going off ours , I'm sure they do.

Main is 24 is from South Shields and hasn't yet settled in on the South coast with Portsmouth.

Let's also remember that when we took him on loan he came in at the same time as Holloway last season playing 18 to Holloways 10 and scoring 4 goals in a five game run that effectively secured our safety, on top of that Main told wifebeater and Donny to do one when they tried to recall him after a month of his loan which was a huge thing to do given the circumstances, I'd have him back in a shot.

Main is 24 is from South Shields and hasn't yet settled in on the South coast with Portsmouth.

Let's also remember that when we took him on loan he came in at the same time as Holloway last season playing 18 to Holloways 10 and scoring 4 goals in a five game run that effectively secured our safety, on top of that Main told wifebeater and Donny to do one when they tried to recall him after a month of his loan which was a huge thing to do given the circumstances, I'd have him back in a shot.

All absolutely fair and accurate.

Despite that the gut feeling that I have looking at his career (of now over 200 appearances) is that his run last year was a spell that was him at his absolute best and a level he is unlikely to match.

He doesn't look a natural goalscorer and when he came into the team much of his energy was wasted in directionless running. To his credit he produced at his absolute best when the team needed him most and he will always merit the warmest of welcomes if he returns in a blue shirt or otherwise.....

I just don't think he will do it again.

The assessment of Holloway is equally difficult as he clearly has ability and should develop into a talented threat at this level and possibly above. Somebody like Ricky Lambert should be his template....

However again if I'm honest I have my doubts.

In both cases I can understand the attraction and recognise the need to gamble. Also in both cases, Shez and his team need to be as good as we feel they can be to make the gambles roll in....

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...