Winding up petition from HM Customs

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Makes the swtich of ends for Sheff Utd and Bolton fully justified. We can't turn down extra money. The board made a difficult but correct decision. I'm sure we'll get through this latest winding up petition but the board need to sort the finances out so we can look more to the long term than firefighting every week just to stay in business.

I think about 90% agree with the switch but that the heart of the debate is the RRE should be the away end permanently. And has overall cost the club ST holders who have never renewed since the Chaddy was closed to us (meaning this switch makes the original decision look even more laughable)

Normally they allow it when they have run out of money, we really are on the breadline and I'd suspect it won't only be HMRC who are waiting for money, question is for how long can Corney keep pulling a rabbit out of the hat.

they don't "allow" it... it happens because it is enforced, its called bankruptcy.

Makes the swtich of ends for Sheff Utd and Bolton fully justified. We can't turn down extra money. The board made a difficult but correct decision. I'm sure we'll get through this latest winding up petition but the board need to sort the finances out so we can look more to the long term than firefighting every week just to stay in business.

Not sure the additional 50k generated will cover it. The fans really need to get behind the club and attend games. The club needs the fans support more than ever to try and address this decline. SC can only do so much with limited funding and I do not see a rich benefactor buying the club soon. I accept that SC has made many mistakes but it would, in my opinion, be much worse if he walked away.

We have no idea how much money is involved. It seems however that HMRC are getting a bit pissed off with late payments and might not be giving Latics as much time as before.

Crazy not to offer the concessions some incentive to buy in March if the amounts are large. Anyone on a concession would be daft to buy now and risk becoming a creditor. Those on the full wack will have to await the statement that must come before the March deadline.

We have no idea how much money is involved. It seems however that HMRC are getting a bit pissed off with late payments and might not be giving Latics as much time as before.

Crazy not to offer the concessions some incentive to buy in March if the amounts are large. Anyone on a concession would be daft to buy now and risk becoming a creditor. Those on the full wack will have to await the statement that must come before the March deadline.

Stick it on a credit card direct with the club. Not Ticketmaster. Section 75 consumer credit act protects you against failure to fulfil fixtures.

Brassbank don't own the club do they? but why would any owner of a club WANT to allow a club to go bust?

Ah so brass bank don`t own the North Stand,and the club keep all revenue earned not just on match days. I must have got my wires crossed.

I think about 90% agree with the switch but that the heart of the debate is the RRE should be the away end permanently. And has overall cost the club ST holders who have never renewed since the Chaddy was closed to us (meaning this switch makes the original decision look even more laughable)

Is there any evidence we lost season ticket holders (we wouldn't have lost anyway) as a result of the switch?

Folk may have used that as an excuse, don't get me wrong, but surely the vast majority had moved into the new stand anyway?

I find the above hard to believe given our finances. No chance Corney would have knowingly taken a hit. It was just the one-off opportunity to get it sorted with relatively little fuss, and after a fans' survey that backed the move... and a manager at the time who backed it too.

If it went back to the Chaddy permanently, I'd be gutted. RRE is a better stand, a better experience.

We moved because the players at the time said it was better after the trial, despite what any acoustic experts said to the contrary.

It's actually looked like we've had a proper home end at times since moving, and, most importantly, look at the proportion of our goals at home scored at the RRE!!

Just coincidence I'm sure some will say....

Is there any evidence we lost season ticket holders (we wouldn't have lost anyway) as a result of the switch?

Folk may have used that as an excuse, don't get me wrong, but surely the vast majority had moved into the new stand anyway?

I find the above hard to believe given our finances. No chance Corney would have knowingly taken a hit. It was just the one-off opportunity to get it sorted with relatively little fuss, and after a fans' survey that backed the move... and a manager at the time who backed it too.

If it went back to the Chaddy permanently, I'd be gutted. RRE is a better stand, a better experience.

We moved because the players at the time said it was better after the trial, despite what any acoustic experts said to the contrary.

It's actually looked like we've had a proper home end at times since moving, and, most importantly, look at the proportion of our goals at home scored at the RRE!!

I know of two people who've not been back, I suspect it was the straw that broke the camels back for them, as for the move it made little sense and I sit in neither stand and the reasons given for the move make even less sense now we've given the stand up to Bolton and Sheff Utd.

There are fans who now sit behind me in the he Frizzell stand who were just saying after last home match, that they preferred the Frizzell stand with regards to a clear view as there were not stansions in the way that blocks it, as there are in the chaddy

Given the way we took the piss not handing over Bolton and Dale's money for tickets sold, I don't think it'll be a foregone conclusion that the monies from away sales to Bolton and Dale will cover this petition. Holding back that money may well bite the club on the arse in a very big way. Fellow businessmen will not extend you the courtesy to continually take the piss for so long....if I was the Bolton or Dale chairman, I'd reciprocate with a massive V sign and hold back the money.

Another thing is that yet again, next season's season ticket sales look to be paying off this season's debts. So yet again we'll go into a season in similar shape to the last couple of years. It's a merry go round of :censored:...

Makes you wonder how much our clubs reputation is shot to hell and how much other clubs really want to put the boot in, whether or not it's for their own business purposes that they need the cash too.

I don't know how to run a business, I don't have the brain capacity to do it either, but it seem to me that there is no credible business plan in place/future planning we seem in dire straits living on a month by month basis. These bills don't suddenly hit the clubs doorstep, surely they know/have a rough idea of when they are coming in too?

The owner/chairman seems desperate, the club seems desperate and Maybe the "frosty" relationship between Corney/Brooke (your trust rep) is symptomatic of the whole powder keg that could go off on god knows what direction.

Is this normal business practice Not to pay your bills on time or vice versa...those that owe us not to pay us on time? Knowing when to pay too beginning of the month, mid, end?

Could it be that this is the norm in the football world? Are we the only club running the gauntlet every month?

Is it better not to know as a fan and carry on blindly? 20 odd years ago there was not internet where info is out there in seconds and were we ever in such a mess previously before our current owners?

Is this another fine mess we are in....or the norm?

Footnote: I am posting this with my OAFC fan hat on not Trust. Just in case

Corney will have us believe it's the norm, having been a fan for over 30 years I'd argue that whilst previous boards were skint and there were dark days under brierley we never lurched from one public disaster to another.

Many are voting with their feet this summer there's no light at the end of the tunnel and people will keep their money in their pocket picking and choosing.

Corney will have us believe it's the norm, having been a fan for over 30 years I'd argue that whilst previous boards were skint and there were dark days under brierley we never lurched from one public disaster to another.

Many are voting with their feet this summer there's no light at the end of the tunnel and people will keep their money in their pocket picking and choosing.

As a fan I have hit my watershed....do I buy a season ticket at whatever stage knowing we will be in the same desperate situation next year Regardless of what division we are in?

Do I withhold my money knowing or maybe not so knowing of what damage that could do to the club?

If I had a better understanding/knowledge of how perilous a situation we are in would I contribute more wether that be to club or to the Trust?

More questions than answers and will the club make a statement over it? Who knows well it's is the weekend

Makes you wonder how much our clubs reputation is shot to hell and how much other clubs really want to put the boot in, whether or not it's for their own business purposes that they need the cash too.

I don't know how to run a business, I don't have the brain capacity to do it either, but it seem to me that there is no credible business plan in place/future planning we seem in dire straits living on a month by month basis. These bills don't suddenly hit the clubs doorstep, surely they know/have a rough idea of when they are coming in too?

The owner/chairman seems desperate, the club is desperate and Maybe the "frosty" relationship between Corney/Brooke (your trust rep) is symptomatic of the whole powder keg that could go off on god knows what direction.

Is this normal business practice Not to pay your bills on time or vice versa...those that owe us not to pay us on time? Knowing when to pay too beginning of the month, mid, end?

Could it be that this is the norm in the football world? Are we the only club running the gauntlet every month?

Is it better not to know as a fan and carry on blindly? 20 odd years ago there was not internet where info is out there in seconds and were we ever in such a mess previously before our current owners?

Is this another fine mess we are in....or the norm?

Joe Royle was told on his first day in the job not to put his personal belongings in the desk draws because the receivers were in and they might take them away. This football club has spent the last 120 years losing money, any other business consistently losing money over a sustained period of time would have gone under. In this sense Oldham Athletic like other lower league football clubs are remarkably resilient. Any other business consistently struggling to pay both the tax man and it's staff (The 2 most important bills to pay for any business) would have gone under. The Internet has given us all alot more information on things like this which we didn't see many years ago. Their was probably loads of examples where we struggled to keep the lights on in the past however in the era of social media and the Internet it's very hard to keep these things hidden.

I would argue that you have no idea if this was the case years ago as unless you had shares in the club or knew people who ran it you had no idea of the clubs finances. We now live in a time when such information is easy to research-look at how some posters follow documents lodged at companies house now.

As a poster has stated above this club has always struggled for finance never having had a large fan base-hence its reputation as a 'selling club' over many many years.

As for paying bills and debts, many large companies have terrible reputations for paying-I have knowledge of a very large UK oil company that had a shocking record of setting invoices. At the time of the Rochdale non payment discussion Corney stated it was normal that monies had not been transferred at the time and it was Rochdale who had made a song and dance about it.

No idea if this is commonplace in football or not, but it's always concerning. Is our wage bill too high for us to sustain on current gate receipts? There's always going to be pressure on Corney to go out and spend money that he doesn't have, but I think I'd rather we tried to live within our means. If that means jettisoning some of our higher earners in favour of youth players, then so be it. I'm not sure a club in a situation like ours can afford the luxury of having the likes of Ryan Flynn sitting on the bench every week.

How many home-grown players have actually played under Shez? Taylor aside (who doesn't really count), I can only think of Edmundson's solitary appearance against Gillingham. I feel as though that's the only way we're going to make any progress; I can't see our chopping and changing and living hand-to-mouth every season ever actually being successful. There needs to be a long-term plan in place, and that might mean we have to take one step back to take two steps forward.

Edit: Brendy Glackin made a sub appearance at some point too, if I recall correctly.

No idea if this is commonplace in football or not, but it's always concerning. Is our wage bill too high for us to sustain on current gate receipts? There's always going to be pressure on Corney to go out and spend money that he doesn't have, but I think I'd rather we tried to live within our means. If that means jettisoning some of our higher earners in favour of youth players, then so be it. I'm not sure a club in a situation like ours can afford the luxury of having the likes of Ryan Flynn sitting on the bench every week.

How many home-grown players have actually played under Shez? Taylor aside (who doesn't really count), I can only think of Edmundson's solitary appearance against Gillingham. I feel as though that's the only way we're going to make any progress; I can't see our chopping and changing and living hand-to-mouth every season ever actually being successful. There needs to be a long-term plan in place, and that might mean we have to take one step back to take two steps forward.

Edit: Brendy Glackin made a sub appearance at some point too, if I recall correctly.

I'm not sure how much further we can cut the cloth on wages. We hardly paid any over the summer and we signed a squad who would be willing to play for food. We had money in from players (and manager) sold over the last year and we've clearly not spent much on things like the pitch, yet we still seem to be leaking money hand over fist.

Archived