Winding up petition from HM Customs

Many of us get carried away on owtb including myself and I sometimes get a bit depressed at the thought of all of us Latics fans kicking lumps out of each other.

However, I cannot think of another message board in the world where a forum topic on HMRC winding up petitions can morph into a pitched battle on the Hitchens brothers.

It may be surreal but it's what free speech is all about. Great stuff!

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, deyres42 said:

The ship has tended to hit rocky ground come Halloween time in recent years so we shall see what happens then...

Ha, so now we don't give the manager/owner/club the bog standard "ten games", we give until Halloween?
Self fulfilling prophecy.
Spooky...eh?

32 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Then you'll be saying how things normally fall apart in February and we should wait till then. Or March.  Or April. We could go up champions and you and a few others be saying "but wait, things normally go wrong in the summer" 

Silly.

44 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

If we are still top seven come Christmas I will be very happy,

Lets face it though Abdallah is on a hiding to nothing, on one hand he gets publicly shamed by an Oldham fan in the National press for over spending and throwing a couple of million around yet gets chastised for running the club in a way the said reporter suggested, he can't do wrong for doing right.

What does it matter what the budget is though? Just last season Accrington and Shrewsbury proved in the lower leagues that money doesn't buy success and if anything a bigger budget (look nearer to home) brings it's own problems, managing egos for one.

I love our team at the moment, it's a great mix of older heads who still want to prove themselves and young lads who hopefully will go from strength to strength. Of course we are a couple short - every team is but we have have two or three to come back and if we maintain our form I've no doubt we will strengthen further. 

We are sixth in the league not sixth bottom as you may well think if you read this forum as an outsider, what do some of our fans actually want? Are they going to be banging the same drum next week if we win tomorrow and sit second or third in the table? It's as if some of our own fans want it all to go pop just to fuel their agendas. 

Strange.

Of course the budget matters, the clubs that spend the most generally finish at the top and the ones that spend the least finish at the bottom.

1 hour ago, laticsmarra said:

There is no real rush to replace him as Barry Owen is currently acting as Interim Chief Executive. AL is dlearly drawing on the remaining experience within the club to help us move forward.

I am gobsmacked that barry is still involved with the club.

8 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Of course the budget matters, the clubs that spend the most generally finish at the top and the ones that spend the least finish at the bottom.

So what was The Dong's and Bury's excuses for getting relegated? Weren't they supposed to have been the big spenders last season?

18 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Accrington? Shrewsbury? Wycombe? 

We had our largest budget ever last season and it led to relegation.

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Seven months into a takeover and we are already onto severe budget restraints? That don't sound too promising...

It sounds more promising than liquidation. 

Making watching a game more affordable, thus increasing the attendances in a lower division is not too tacky either.

We know Lemsagam is not here for the land or the Joe Royle Stand. So forgive most of us, including returning fans for feeling a little more optimistic - trying to guess the future is a wast of time.

As you boys berate me and others for being allegedly over critical, you must accept you’ll receive the same in return for being hyper positive. These are early days.

Paying the players on time is the minimum requirement and shouldn’t be lauded as a huge accomplishment. Progress, yes, but it is the bare minimum required.

There have been good movements off the pitch with some of the stands being renamed and the community section of the club doing wonders.

However, there are still signs that there is a difficult dynamic going on behind the scenes with the huge exodus of staff over the summer and the uncertainty as to who actually is on our board. #Secrecy

The budget also seems paper paper thin with no room for us to bring in any players towards the end of the window. He got Lyden but he’s out for a month already, and as it stands he will return to Villa in January.

I personally feel we don’t have enough depth to launch any kind of a promotion push and any run will eventually run out of steam due to the natural demands of League 2 physical football.

I hope Abdallah continues to run the football club as it should be and long may our form continue but let’s keep our feet on the ground for the time being and strive to improve further rather than settling for the bare minimum which so many have passively accepted over the years.

7 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

As you boys berate me and others for being allegedly over critical, you must accept you’ll receive the same in return for being hyper positive. These are early days.

Paying the players on time is the minimum requirement and shouldn’t be lauded as a huge accomplishment. Progress, yes, but it is the bare minimum required.

There have been good movements off the pitch with some of the stands being renamed and the community section of the club doing wonders.

However, there are still signs that there is a difficult dynamic going on behind the scenes with the huge exodus of staff over the summer and the uncertainty as to who actually is on our board. #Secrecy

The budget also seems paper paper thin with no room for us to bring in any players towards the end of the window. He got Lyden but he’s out for a month already, and as it stands he will return to Villa in January.

I personally feel we don’t have enough depth to launch any kind of a promotion push and any run will eventually run out of steam due to the natural demands of League 2 physical football.

I hope Abdallah continues to run the football club as it should be and long may our form continue but let’s keep our feet on the ground for the time being and strive to improve further rather than settling for the bare minimum which so many have passively accepted over the years.

Show me the hyper positive posts in this thread please. 

Also, what is this secrecy you speak of?  The community section is reaching out like never before and how he wants to run his business is frankly none of yours. What exactly do you expect to hear/know?

What is the “evidence of a difficult dynamic behind the scenes”.  If all you are referring to is the exodus of the previously inept and unsuccessful staff after he has decided to start afresh then I say good luck to him, it was needed. What other evidence is there?  

8 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

As you boys berate me and others for being allegedly over critical, you must accept you’ll receive the same in return for being hyper positive. 

More made up shite. People saying the club have done well with this initiative or that initiative or that stand renaming etc etc aren't being hyper positive (not unless they're being compared to you, Ryan, Deyres42 etc) they're just pointing out that something good has happened.

As much as it might pain some when something positive happens, it isn't hyper positive to say that's a good thing!

How about you try not to find the negative in everything and enjoy things while they're looking a bit better 

Archived