Winding up petition from HM Customs

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Always the same issues between solidarity payments.

I appreciate it is "always the same" but we need to get away from this. We need to be able to cover bills from month to month regardless of when that month falls. 

This doesn't happen at Rochdale, Accrington Stanley, Forest Green or Newport (all who get similar or smaller crowds to ourselves) so why should it be accepted that it happens?

This has to be taken with the seriousness that Winding Up Petitions bring not just dismissed (excuse the pun) and swept under the carpet.

1 hour ago, unsworthlatic said:

Albeit it now states that we're "up to date and publishing was a mistake" it still shows a level of neglect in which shouldn't be seen as "normal"

For the HMRC to contact you for payment regardless is pretty worrying. The club will have received a number of requests for payment prior to a Winding Up Petition being issued.

Regardless of whether it's "sorted" or not, which for what it's worth a relief, this is once more dealing with symptoms.

The club are acting re-actively instead of pro-actively. They are dealing with symptoms of the problem rather than root causes and until that mindset or motivation shifts to dealing with the main issues this will continue to be a problem area and maybe somewhere down the line it isn't just "sorted" and presents a major threat to the future of Oldham Athletic

Why would the club have received requests for payment? The mistake by HMC was publishing in the Gazette, not sending out demands for payment.

53 minutes ago, al_bro said:

Why would the club have received requests for payment? The mistake by HMC was publishing in the Gazette, not sending out demands for payment.

That isn't the way I understand it to have been. Darren (Trust Rep) on Twitter responded to my tweets with the following quotes:

"Paying your taxes late isn’t fantastic, but it can happen in business. I’d be exceptionally worried if they were months behind on payments, but they aren’t - it’s just a few days"

"The bill was paid a couple of dates late and the club told me that this was agreed with HMRC but that’s the process they go for"

The facts bills are being paid late is not good practice and what is to say days won't turn into weeks, months or even worse never?

This has to be addressed and root causes be reviewed and rectified. This isn't an advisory either, it's a necessity.

1 minute ago, unsworthlatic said:

"The bill was paid a couple of dates late and the club told me that this was agreed with HMRC but that’s the process they go for"

The facts bills are being paid late is not good practice and what is to say days won't turn into weeks, months or even worse never?

This has to be addressed and root causes be reviewed and rectified. This isn't an advisory either, it's a necessity.

So you have never paid a bill late? Admirable if you haven't but in reality most of us have experienced this.

You are starting sound a bit like a grumpy matron- chiding the club and telling us what is good and bad practice when most of us know anyway. At the end of the day it is not you having to stump up the money to pay the bills.

As Darren says the bill was paid this was a mistake.

You know, you can almost smell the disappointment from the usual posters on here over this.

11 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

So you have never paid a bill late? Admirable if you haven't but in reality most of us have experienced this.

You are starting sound a bit like a grumpy matron- chiding the club and telling us what is good and bad practice when most of us know anyway. At the end of the day it is not you having to stump up the money to pay the bills.

You know, you can almost smell the disappointment from the usual posters on here over this.

If you consistently can't pay your most important bills on time then you've probably got a problem...

3 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Sorry, you really do have me completely wrong. Funnily enough, I was accused of being a "happy clapper" yet now classed as the complete opposite. I am never delighted or happy to see us lose a game like some seem to think nor am I happy to see a Winding Up Petition lay at the door of Oldham Athletic! 

People seem to think that this isn't at all worrying and should be seen as "normal". All I am saying is that we need to get away from that. We need to act in a pro-active manner rather than reactive. That isn't slating the club, that's merely constructive criticism which I'd wager is fairly easy to rectify in most businesses.

If there are cashflow issues, come out and be honest. Tell supporters you are struggling and that the club is sinking. Instead no, they're trying to justify actions that have contributed to this becoming the case.

PTB's survey results was something really the club ought to have done (if they took the care and attention to find out what fans think). These were provided to the club upon request, yet we see no acknowledgement whatsoever.

I appreciate I am not the one who "has to find the money" but Abdallah knew when purchasing the club what state it was in so this is up to him to find the money, he knew what he was taking on. 

To reiterate, I do not delight in bad news surrounding the club or concerning news such as this. I am absolutely terrified for OUR club's future and as such I'm speaking out and asking for support in order for the fans to be heard once more!

For what it's worth, I have never paid a bill late. Always ensure that I have enough money to pay each bill at that time. Sadly that has meant, with me purchasing a house that I will only now make about 36 instead of 46 games. This "hurts" by the way as I'd love to be at every game. 

If you think i'm happy with the current plight then you are so, so wrong. I'd rather I didn't have to protest to get the club to sit up and take notice of the support and run the club in a professional and efficient manner.

10 hours ago, al_bro said:

The club took it to the wire, it has to be at least 21 days overdue before HMRC take it to a WUP notice. 

https://www.realbusinessrescue.co.uk/winding-up-petitions/what-is-winding-up-order

“What Is a Winding Up Order or Petition by Creditors including HMRC?

A winding up order is a court order that forces an insolvent company into compulsory liquidation – a process in which the court appoints an Official Receiver (OR) to liquidate all of the company’s assets in order to repay creditors. It results when HM Revenue & Customs or another creditor sends a winding up petition (WUP) to the court after the insolvent company fails to repay a debt of more than £750 which has gone unpaid for at least 21 days.  

Upon a Winding Up Petition being advertised, a company’s bank account will typically be frozen meaning business is immediately halted. While a WUP does not necessarily mean the end of your company, you will have to move fast if you want to save it and stop it being wound up.”

7 hours ago, unsworthlatic said:

I appreciate it is "always the same" but we need to get away from this. We need to be able to cover bills from month to month regardless of when that month falls. 

This doesn't happen at Rochdale, Accrington Stanley, Forest Green or Newport (all who get similar or smaller crowds to ourselves) so why should it be accepted that it happens?

This has to be taken with the seriousness that Winding Up Petitions bring not just dismissed (excuse the pun) and swept under the carpet.

Number of home games so far in November:

Latics - 1

Dale - 4 (1 Cup) 

Accrington - 2 (1 Cup) and the league fixture was against Bolton who had over 50% of the attendance. 

Forest Green - 3 (1 Cup) 

Newport - 3 (1 Cup). 

With 2 Cup weekends in November it was always going to be a struggle financially this month. I don't know when we get the money from Gateshead and the FA but I can see it being next month at the earliest. 

We have struggled financially in November under other owners for similar reasons. I'm willing to cut AL a bit of slack this month. 

Am I happy with the way AL is running the club, no. But I'm not using another organisation's error, which they presumably put in motion a few days ago as a stick to beat him with either. If our financial circumstances were that dire, would we be signing a player who is probably going to be a high earner, I doubt it. 

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

Number of home games so far in November:

Latics - 1

Dale - 4 (1 Cup) 

Accrington - 2 (1 Cup) and the league fixture was against Bolton who had over 50% of the attendance. 

Forest Green - 3 (1 Cup) 

Newport - 3 (1 Cup). 

With 2 Cup weekends in November it was always going to be a struggle financially this month. I don't know when we get the money from Gateshead and the FA but I can see it being next month at the earliest. 

We have struggled financially in November under other owners for similar reasons. I'm willing to cut AL a bit of slack this month. 

Am I happy with the way AL is running the club, no. But I'm not using another organisation's error, which they presumably put in motion a few days ago as a stick to beat him with either. If our financial circumstances were that dire, would we be signing a player who is probably going to be a high earner, I doubt it. 

It doesn’t relate to November. The original WUP was issued on 29/10 and was at least 21 days old by then. Taking out the cup games, we all play the same number of games over the season and costs should be budgeted for and expected. 

Regardless of the error, the payment was still late. 

9 hours ago, jorvik_latic said:

It doesn’t relate to November. The original WUP was issued on 29/10 and was at least 21 days old by then. Taking out the cup games, we all play the same number of games over the season and costs should be budgeted for and expected. 

Regardless of the error, the payment was still late. 

So presumably it’s the monthly PAYE payment due on a 19th. Most firms don’t get a winding up petition for that. They get a call from HMRC saying you haven’t paid it, please do so. (I know because I forgot once in a particularly hectic time a few years ago).  They now have zero tolerance with a number of football clubs though.,

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

So presumably it’s the monthly PAYE payment due on a 19th. Most firms don’t get a winding up petition for that. They get a call from HMRC saying you haven’t paid it, please do so. (I know because I forgot once in a particularly hectic time a few years ago).  They now have zero tolerance with a number of football clubs though.,

Could be.

Depends on our VAT reporting dates. If we pay monthly or the quarter fell at the end of August then payment is due 1 month and 7 days later. 21 days after that ties in with the notice issued on 29th Oct. 

1 hour ago, jorvik_latic said:

Could be.

Depends on our VAT reporting dates. If we pay monthly or the quarter fell at the end of August then payment is due 1 month and 7 days later. 21 days after that ties in with the notice issued on 29th Oct. 

Yes. Still fits in with the zero tolerance though. You ain’t getting a winding up petition that quickly without a shady history.  I’m not saying they are wrong to issue one, I’m saying we are under much greater scrutiny.  Which is fair enough in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Yes. Still fits in with the zero tolerance though. You ain’t getting a winding up petition that quickly without a shady history.  I’m not saying they are wrong to issue one, I’m saying we are under much greater scrutiny.  Which is fair enough in my opinion. 

Agree with you, HMRC are following their process. I’m just pointing out to others that we still paid it late even though HMRC made an error - we’ve pretty much had 2 months to pay. 

Zero tolerance by HMRC is actually a good thing because it stops OAFC building up a debt that could be fatal.

Season is now over because no cups and Dino has found a formula to get us the point a game we need to survive.

4 hours ago, Hands on said:

Zero tolerance by HMRC is actually a good thing because it stops OAFC building up a debt that could be fatal.

Season is now over because no cups and Dino has found a formula to get us the point a game we need to survive.

Are we still in the Lancashire and Manchester Senior Cups?

8 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Should have kept the  Ford stand we won and saved all the trouble we've had since.😉

But we've got a modern facility now that can be used seven days a week and generate cashflow for the club. Oh, hang on a minute..... 

26 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50746013

Here we go again....says SOME of the unpaid tax bill has been paid. Fuck only knows how much hasn't??

More lies and secrets.

He really just needs to piss off back to where he came from.

You missed the part in the article that states :

Latics bosses disputed the remaining amount and no details of much they owe were given at Wednesday's hearing.

4 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

You missed the part in the article that states :

Latics bosses disputed the remaining amount and no details of much they owe were given at Wednesday's hearing.

Disputing what they can't afford is becoming a habit

Archived