Youth team promoted to first team

Would absolutely love to see us sign up more than 2 or 3 of our youths at a time. You feel more of a connection to home grown players and I believe sending George out on loan this season to bring in Burgess was one of SR's biggest errors.

What I can't believe is that Glackin still hasn't been given a shot with our lack of goals!

3 minutes ago, oafc_lover said:

Would absolutely love to see us sign up more than 2 or 3 of our youths at a time. You feel more of a connection to home grown players and I believe sending George out on loan this season to bring in Burgess was one of SR's biggest errors.

What I can't believe is that Glackin still hasn't been given a shot with our lack of goals!

Cos George has come back and really made that spot his own eh...

This was one of my questions to  the ill fated meeting.

Of the team that won the cup the other season, about 4 ere offered contracts, how many were on money grounds,a nd could we do something to ensure/invest in a production line.

That said, I'm not sure how many ex youth have gone on to bigger and better things, and therefore slip through the net.

Shez rates glackin highly apparently let's hope he has all pre season with him to get him ready and a few others will certainly save getting new players in if 3/4 can break through. Just so hope we stay up. Last night's result with Vale was a like a win for us !

13 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Different circumstances, Gerrard wasnt here at the start of the year, and who knows what would have happened if Edmondson had played from the start of the season instead of that lump Burgess. I also think Jamie Stott will come back a better player for his long term loan, he looked a nice tidy player in the pre season games.

Strikers probably take the longest to adapt to the first team from the youth set-up. If Glackin is going to make it the manager will need to persevere with him.

That's something that over the past couple of years we've not been able to do, in regards to the revolving manager's door.

4 minutes ago, youngen said:

Different circumstances, Gerrard wasnt here at the start of the year, and who knows what would have happened if Edmondson had played from the start of the season instead of that lump Burgess. I also think Jamie Stott will come back a better player for his long term loan, he looked a nice tidy player in the pre season games.

Burgess did fine, by no means certain that Gorgeous George would have done as well.

Sheridan has preferred McLoughlin and Reckord in defence, that says something.

25 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

What's with the attitude sweetheart? 

George is as good as Burgess and is our own. He's not going to get in the team ahead of Gerrard because we now need experienced heads to get us out of the pickle we're in!

5 minutes ago, oafc_lover said:

What's with the attitude sweetheart? 

George is as good as Burgess and is our own. He's not going to get in the team ahead of Gerrard because we now need experienced heads to get us out of the pickle we're in!

No attitude, just don't go along with baseless idea that he would have done better than Burgess.

9 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

No attitude, just don't go along with baseless idea that he would have done better than Burgess.

So you honestly believe Burgess is a better player than Edmundson? No argument if so. It's a game of opinions.

However, would you not rather us have developed our own prospect rather than help Fulham develop theirs?

6 minutes ago, oafc_lover said:

So you honestly believe Burgess is a better player than Edmundson? No argument if so. It's a game of opinions.

However, would you not rather us have developed our own prospect rather than help Fulham develop theirs?

Not seen enough of Edmundson to form strong opinion about him.

Don't think all loans are about development, they obviously felt Burgess was the better bet at that stage.

42 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Burgess did fine, by no means certain that Gorgeous George would have done as well.

Sheridan has preferred McLoughlin and Reckord in defence, that says something.

My personal opinion was that Burgess was a soft arse rolled straight out of the Premier League comfy academies. Needed to be nastier, and I would have preferred Edmondson to develop that nastiness alongside Clarke than a Fulham loanee. Also had a knack of hammering balls aimlessly long (See Clarkes long ball distribution - 100% better). If rumours are correct and we had clubs like Sunderland sniffing round him we would do well to develop him in our first team.

Im of the opinion that the youth team (unless outstanding) should be blood in slowly, and Gerrard/Clarke will be great to learn from. However if the option is our youth team or another clubs youth team, I pick ours.

Mclaughlin has made RB his own, looks so comfortable there, and Edmondson didnt help himself getting the sending off before coming back tbh.

Edited by youngen

Wasn't Edmundson a fish out of water in the Carlisle Scab Trophy game? I wasn't there but I thought I read comments after the game that he was all over the place. Not seen enough of him myself either but the shit thrown at Burgess is a joke tbh. He was part of one of the best defences in the division up until Xmas...someone who was young and raw but improved as the season progressed. And now Bury are keeping clean sheets coz of him (3 in a row currently when previously they shipped goals for fun.)

Still enjoyed Banks giving him a dig at ours the other week though.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Would like to see more of our younger players given more time in the first-team.  Our recent youth teams have won stuff.  They're winners.  They know how to win.  What's the harm in throwing them on for the last five minutes of a game where we're 2-0 down now and again?

As for not being ready for the first-team, etc - there's been first-team games this season where I reckon I wouldn't have looked out of place!

2 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Would like to see more of our younger players given more time in the first-team.  Our recent youth teams have won stuff.  They're winners.  They know how to win.  What's the harm in throwing them on for the last five minutes of a game where we're 2-0 down now and again?

As for not being ready for the first-team, etc - there's been first-team games this season where I reckon I wouldn't have looked out of place!

Said it before but the youth lads who have been any good have got in the team, can't think of many who haven't and have gone on to be roaring success elsewhere.

Not heard too many complaints about Ripley blocking the development of our own keepers...

Our keeper who was good enough came through and improved his development last season..... then we sold him

As for the up and comer who was going to replace him....we sold him too.

Edited by palmer1

Said it before but the youth lads who have been any good have got in the team, can't think of many who haven't and have gone on to be roaring success elsewhere.

Flawed logic, that. Perhaps the fact they haven't been given the opportunity to progress into the first team during their formative years is the reason they've never advanced elsewhere.

20 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

Flawed logic, that. Perhaps the fact they haven't been given the opportunity to progress into the first team during their formative years is the reason they've never advanced elsewhere.

Maybe, but you could say we've been shit for years and the opportunities were there for anyone good enough.

16 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

During slugfests you always want the grittier, more experienced player.

Fair point.

Throwing it forward, are we producing the right type of player? To my untrained eye, and I might be being unfair, but a lot of the lads who make the cusp of 1st team look on the small and weak side.