Youth team promoted to first team

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

Fair point.

Throwing it forward, are we producing the right type of player? To my untrained eye, and I might be being unfair, but a lot of the lads who make the cusp of 1st team look on the small and weak side.

Can agree with this.

Jordan Bove a prime example of recent times. Had like a childs' physique and at the end of the day this is professional sport.

4 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Fair point.

Throwing it forward, are we producing the right type of player? To my untrained eye, and I might be being unfair, but a lot of the lads who make the cusp of 1st team look on the small and weak side.

Maybe the facilities of the gym in the new stand will allow for a better regime in terms of strength and conditioning. What gym did they used to use?

That being said, I've read so many times about the youths when in competition something along the lines of 'they're technically better than us, but we're a better team' - while that might lead to youth team success, it probably isn't the kind of characteristic that leads to progress into the firsts.

33 minutes ago, OnchanJules said:

Jordan Bove now playing for 1874 Northwich FC

Lots of Oldham players have a connection with that club

Mark Ward is the one that first springs to mind

Vic Halom, Gary Kelly, Paul Warhurst are just a few

Edited by Stagger Lee

It depends on how the first team play ... currently AAH will hold it,  look for support and pass or hold and turn. The build up often isnt pretty. The youth team dont play like that therefore the learning curve is bigger. You have to adapt to a changr in formation, position and plan. Thats the reason they look weak and sometimes small (never stopped Jermaine Defoe like). Personally I think Glakin would do ok next to AAH .... I would also consider that now would probably not be the best time to blood him in. If we are safe with two remaining by all means.

At our level, we definitely should be taking a chance on the skillful players who are slighter on the physical side. If they develop suddenly, we have a player on our hands that would have otherwise been out of reach. Sometimes you end up with a Sugden, Wolfenden, Bove or Byrnes, sometimes a decent player like  Winchester, maybe if we're lucky someone even better.

On the other hand, Knight has quite a bit of physicality about him. It may not be a high level, but I bet he's come on loads playing against men for Ashton United for most of the season. He scored 2 in a 10-1 win at bottom club Skelmersdale last night.

Edited by Simpo