Squad movements, summer 2017

It's a bit light keeper wise!

Not sure it is that bad news, but guess we will never know.

One thing struck me is the fact we have had a mini production line of keepers recently, one who could act as reserve keeper  but seemingly not this year. So could a non league signing be a cheap-ish option, which got me thinking, when was our last non league keeper?

1 hour ago, singe said:

One thing struck me is the fact we have had a mini production line of keepers recently, one who could act as reserve keeper  but seemingly not this year. So could a non league signing be a cheap-ish option, which got me thinking, when was our last non league keeper?

Don't know the last one but John Platt was signed from Ashton United.

3 hours ago, singe said:

One thing struck me is the fact we have had a mini production line of keepers recently, one who could act as reserve keeper  but seemingly not this year. So could a non league signing be a cheap-ish option, which got me thinking, when was our last non league .

Edited by palmer1

17 hours ago, singe said:

Didn't we have a young lad last season who went on loan to a local non league side and impressed? I bet BP1960 will know

2 hours ago, astottie said:

Didn't we have a young lad last season who went on loan to a local non league side and impressed? I bet BP1960 will know

That may be youth team keeper Callum O'Neill who has been on loan at Stalybrifge Celtic. Has looked good wherever I've seen him in the youth team. Similar in build and style to Joel Coleman. 

Didn't see anything in the retained list to say whether he has been kept on or not though.

Edited by BP1960

1 hour ago, Crusoe said:

I could be wrong but I think he is moving from the first year of his scholarship to the second, so we don't have to make a decision on him yet.

You may be right, but he did sign at the same time as many who have not been retained, hence my confusion.

22 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Don't know the last one but John Platt was signed from Ashton United.

21 hours ago, disjointed said:

A keeper of his quality wouldn't be a bad acquisition.

Wouldn't it just! 

It seems strange so few keepers come through the non league route yet it is not considered strange for other positions. 

It may John Platt could have been the last, amazing! 

41 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I can't think of a single keeper at non-league level that I have ever thought could move up other than the odd one on loan from a league club.

I agree I watch plenty of non league football and the standard of keeping is very poor, one explanation could be clubs having four or five on the books in the PL and Championship and even some lower league teams have three meaning the standard lower down has been diluted.

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I can't think of a single keeper at non-league level that I have ever thought could move up other than the odd one on loan from a league club.

Not many, just a few off the top of my head, Bert Trautmann, Neville Southall, Dave Beasant, Carlo Nash.

21 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Not many, just a few off the top of my head, Bert Trautmann, Neville Southall, Dave Beasant, Carlo Nash.

My Mum was Bert Trautmann's nurse in MRI when he broke his neck.  She had no idea who he was.