14 minutes ago, youngen said:

Give me Douglas any day. If we signed him it would be a great coup. Excellent midfielder. If we didnt sign him because we have "i can tackle but cant play football" Fane Id want Shez sacked (and that is something I never want to happen)

I dont recall Douglas being as good as some are making out on here.....? Maybe my memory is failing me. I'd have him in the same category - maybe a better version of - as a Green or a Fane - a tackler who breaks up the play and gives it to someone with better distribution. We need a ball player. A Shez or Matty Palmer type - to help create chances. We've got one in Banks, he's just a massive Jessie and needs protecting in a 5 man midfield.

13 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Coached by Wellens and Shez? I think we'd cope.

I've not seen it confirmed Wellens has done anything other than complete some coaching badges by being with us. I don't believe he's a permanent part of the coaching set up is he? Anyway, we could be coached by Mourinho, but he wouldn't play 2x 35yo centre midfielders together either.

Edited by lookersstandandy

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, GravityGrave said:

Douglas is a different player to Green . In that Brentford team under Rosler/Warburton Douglas was the deep central midfielder , getting the ball from the defence or keeper & dictating play . 

I recall him sitting deep..... which is why I'm thinking of him breaking up play.... but I don't recall him playing defence splitting passes that create chances.....?

38 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Would you rather have Douglas or would you rather sign the younger Chis Taylor who could play right across midfield? 

I'd rather have Matty Palmer..... but I might choose young Chris Taylor in this instance. I want a midfielder, who when receiving the ball, immediately looks forward and runs or passes it in that direction as often as possible......

38 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

I'd rather have Matty Palmer..... but I might choose young Chris Taylor in this instance. I want a midfielder, who when receiving the ball, immediately looks forward and runs or passes it in that direction as often as possible......

You don't want Chris Taylor then....

4 hours ago, youngen said:

Give me Douglas any day. If we signed him it would be a great coup. Excellent midfielder. If we didnt sign him because we have "i can tackle but cant play football" Fane Id want Shez sacked (and that is something I never want to happen)

Fane improved massively with regards to his passing etc as the season went on. He started getting on forward runs a lot more. I'd rather have him learning and improving than bin him off onto the bench for a 35 year old defensive midfielder...

5 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Fane improved massively with regards to his passing etc as the season went on. He started getting on forward runs a lot more. I'd rather have him learning and improving than bin him off onto the bench for a 35 year old defensive midfielder...

^ This. I haven't see Fane as much as many of you, but I was mightily impressed with the way his game improved throughout the season. To me, he went from nothing more than a simple destroyer to one who could make a charge up field, have the odd shot (OK, not many on target, I'll give you that) and find a blue shirt with a pass more often than not.

What would you get out of Douglas? One season, maybe, and that's it. Not worth the cost IMO.

18 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

^ This. I haven't see Fane as much as many of you, but I was mightily impressed with the way his game improved throughout the season. To me, he went from nothing more than a simple destroyer to one who could make a charge up field, have the odd shot (OK, not many on target, I'll give you that) and find a blue shirt with a pass more often than not.

What would you get out of Douglas? One season, maybe, and that's it. Not worth the cost IMO.

Did you see him go through one on one and then turn around and try to pass to Erwin surrounded by 3 men? That alone was enough to make me realise he cant play football. Dont think he has ever kicked a ball off the ground either?

10 minutes ago, youngen said:

Did you see him go through one on one and then turn around and try to pass to Erwin surrounded by 3 men? That alone was enough to make me realise he cant play football. Dont think he has ever kicked a ball off the ground either?

Stop talking nonsense youngen. The lad has improved massively over the season and will continue to the more he works with shez. He will continue to be a starter under shez. He does what everyone else doesn't. The dirty work/ dogs body. 

Taylor's so bad he spent 5 years in the Championship....???? Just because he doesn't have the same pace as when he was younger does not make him a bad player. He was a crucial part of a team that kept up playoff form since he came in, and was played left wing back for the majority of the games which is not his position. He loves the club, he didn't pull up tress on his loan spell, but he was a steady performer and I would have him back without a doubt. He's far better and more consistent than some of the shite we have had on the left side recently! 

39 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Stop talking nonsense youngen. The lad has improved massively over the season and will continue to the more he works with shez. He will continue to be a starter under shez. He does what everyone else doesn't. The dirty work/ dogs body. 

Its not nonsense. I said above he can tackle, but those that think he is a better footballer than Jonathan Douglas are completely deluded. Fanes alright for us, but there are much better players out there