Latics Legend Gordon Lawton Has Died

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, bozman said:

Terrible news. You only have to take a quick look at tributes on Twitter to see how well respected he was. People associated with the club from all eras, some who left the club decades ago, expressing their admiration for him.

Is there any chance someone could pay the tributes on here for those of us not on twitter ?

Really sad news. Seeing Gordon was always part of the experience of being at Boundary Park for me, from when I first started going 35 years ago. Having spoken to him quite a few times, he was always a lovely man. Very sad day for OAFC. RIP Gordon, your voice, presence and passion will be greatly missed. 

Seriously lost.

I cannot even begin to remember a time when i did not see Gordon in and around the club in some capacity and as much as he was frustrating to listen to at times i cannot even begin to imagine a Brisbane Saturday night without him.

RIP Gordon

12 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Is there any chance someone could pay the tributes on here for those of us not on twitter ?

Here's a couple I've seen

From Lee Johnson:

"Such a shame .... a fantastic guy. My Deepest sympathies go out to Gordon's family and all at OAFC that knew and loved him."

From James Wesolowski

"Extremely sad to hear the news of Gordy Lawton  passing away last week. Really was a top bloke and a huge part of OAFC. Rest in peace."

16 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

I've seen messages from (amongst others):

Lee Johnson

Mike Flynn

Ian Marshall

Kevin Maher

Scott McNiven

Matthew Tipton

Dean Furman

Dominic Poleon

Cliff Byrne

Tom Eaves

Andy Holdsworth

Luke Simpson

And others from:

Rochdale's official twitter account

BBC Manchester Sport and Ian Cheeseman

Matt Chambers at the Chron

RIP Gordon.

People like Gordon make a little club what it is.

Absolute legend - met him a few times and was always a lovely bloke.

Someone earlier said we are a poorer club today. That is definitely true.

RIP Gordon - Latics Legend

Wow....what a complete and utter shock that is!! Only spoke to him a few times but what a lovely lovely man and Mr. OAFC!

Heartfelt condolences to all his close friends and family.

Club colleagues must be absolutely devastated.

RIP Gordon....gone but never forgotten.

Been a while since I posted here but couldn't let such tragic news pass without comment.

Gordon was a great friend to myself and the various lads who travelled from Edinburgh to watch the Latics, he welcomed us on a tour around 2003 where we captured his enthusiasm and commitment to the club within seconds. From that moment a great friendship was born and everytime we went to a match we met with Gordon and on occasion Lorriane, nothing was ever a problem to Gordon it's fair to say he looked after us on occasion due to our outpost for obtaining tickets etc......there was always a nice bottle of malt whisky in return for his "over and above" help.

I was delighted that he met both my kids when down last summer and he didn't hesitate in showing them round the main stand and gifting them programmes etc. Also a keen Speedway fan - a passion we also shared.

Sleep easy my big pal. You are and always will be an OAFC legend.

I didn't know him very well, but every time we spoke he had me laughing. You couldn't help but respect and listen to him, he was without doubt one of the nicest people I have ever come across.

There isn't much that can be said that hasn't already, I just hope his family know how loved and respected he was within the club and out. Calling him Mr Oldham Athletic is probably about as apt as you can get, to his family, friends and those at the club too my deepest sympathy. Rarely does someone touch so many people, and make so many people smile.