Latics Legend Gordon Lawton Has Died

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly all too often you hear of people passing these days and it doesn't come as a surprise, but this has deeply saddened me, and I have never spoken to the the man directly. This speaks volumes about his character. He epitomises all that was good and loved about football and will be a massive loss especially to a club like us. He is the glue that keeps a club like us together through hard times.

He was one of us and gave his heart and soul to the club, hats off to you Gordon you will never be forgotten. 

The world is a more emptier place......people cannot be replaced I hope the club do something to remember his service by.

he will be missed hope he can find a decent game to commentary on for the man upstairs who has took him too soon...bless Gordon he will be missed 

When I think Gary Mac at Scunthorpe, I think Gordon screaming the place down, summing up the feeling of every Latics fan.

Somebody on here sent me that years ago, sadly it's long gone, would love to hear it again.

RIP, Gordon. 

The royal blue is a little darker today, the blue flag will be flying a little lower. Legend is so much an over used word but it doesn't even begin to describe Big Gordon's contribution to OAFC. 

Goodnight God Bless, we've truly lost one of our own.

RIP Big Gordy x

?

I haven't been on owtb for over a year now but with today's sad news I just had to log on and read what I knew would be glowing tributes to the big fella. 

I knew Gordon from the day he first started at the club back in 1986. I got to know that when you went in on a match day that welcoming friendly face would be there ready and waiting to welcome all and sundry to another Saturday afternoon "offering" as he would call it from OAFC. Maybe that's what was behind his wicked sense of humour because by god was it wicked. All sorts of stories have circulated around the club over the years and you could guarantee that at least 1 person would suggest it was started by Gordy. You just never knew if he was on the wind up.

I've gone into the club at all times of day over the years and he was always engaged with someone. He became the contact for fans from all parts of the uk and further afield, and he became a great friend to all who met him. 

For me though his greatest work was in the summer of 2003 when the club was at deaths door. The work he put in in those months was staggering, the work he did in helping get that legends game on the liaising with the players etc etc  was remarkable and you'll have seen the respect from past players all day today. Gordon was a huge link that has help hold the pieces together over the years and you just can't buy what he has given the club

in recent years and particularly during the cup runs of 3 years ago he was the contact for the major media outlets. His passion and assistance shone through and it's a major reason why the club is held in high regard outside the fan base. 

Our club has had many good people work behind the scenes over the years, all different to Gordon but people who go about their job and make it the place it is. They rarely get the credit they deserve and I'm therefore so glad to see the huge amount of tributes that have been paid today to an absolute starlet. 

I have only occasionally listened to Latics Player because I'm usually at the game. But the rare time I tuned in I could get the feel of the game as if I was there. 

The chance he got recently to become football secretary was a huge privilege to him, he felt he was taking himself to the next level.

i'll finish by saying he was already at the top level, as a servant of the club, as an honest welcoming face to the public and media but most importantly as a friend. He will be missed by one and all. 

Football isn't all about the players it's about the clubs, and people like Gordon Lawton make those clubs.

RIP Gordon Lawton

55 minutes ago, Harry Dowds Green Shirt said:

I haven't been on owtb for over a year now but with today's sad news I just had to log on and read what I knew would be glowing tributes to the big fella. 

I knew Gordon from the day he first started at the club back in 1986. I got to know that when you went in on a match day that welcoming friendly face would be there ready and waiting to welcome all and sundry to another Saturday afternoon "offering" as he would call it from OAFC. Maybe that's what was behind his wicked sense of humour because by god was it wicked. All sorts of stories have circulated around the club over the years and you could guarantee that at least 1 person would suggest it was started by Gordy. You just never knew if he was on the wind up.

I've gone into the club at all times of day over the years and he was always engaged with someone. He became the contact for fans from all parts of the uk and further afield, and he became a great friend to all who met him. 

For me though his greatest work was in the summer of 2003 when the club was at deaths door. The work he put in in those months was staggering, the work he did in helping get that legends game on the liaising with the players etc etc  was remarkable and you'll have seen the respect from past players all day today. Gordon was a huge link that has help hold the pieces together over the years and you just can't buy what he has given the club

in recent years and particularly during the cup runs of 3 years ago he was the contact for the major media outlets. His passion and assistance shone through and it's a major reason why the club is held in high regard outside the fan base. 

Our club has had many good people work behind the scenes over the years, all different to Gordon but people who go about their job and make it the place it is. They rarely get the credit they deserve and I'm therefore so glad to see the huge amount of tributes that have been paid today to an absolute starlet. 

I have only occasionally listened to Latics Player because I'm usually at the game. But the rare time I tuned in I could get the feel of the game as if I was there. 

The chance he got recently to become football secretary was a huge privilege to him, he felt he was taking himself to the next level.

i'll finish by saying he was already at the top level, as a servant of the club, as an honest welcoming face to the public and media but most importantly as a friend. He will be missed by one and all. 

Football isn't all about the players it's about the clubs, and people like Gordon Lawton make those clubs.

RIP Gordon Lawton

^This is brilliant. I'm probably the inverse in the sense that the few times I've watched Latics over the years, I've sometimes wondered whether I might prefer to be at home listening to Gordon call it rather than be at the game. 

Is it too early to suggest a minute's silence on Latics Player to commemorate? 

11 hours ago, Harry Dowds Green Shirt said:

RIP Gordon Lawton

Fantastic tribute Harry Dowd.....

You are absolutely spot on..??

I think the most remarkable thing about Gordon is that he is a lifelong Dale fan.

Yet gave his all, and so much more than many of us, for Latics. Heart and soul.

Not many would do that.

Such is the stature of the man, as we all are acknowledging.

I really hope we can come upw ith a fitting, permanent, and unique tribute.

Edited by singe

Terribly sad news. As someone who's lived away from the area for 11 years, Gordon's voice was a welcome and constant connection to the club wherever I was. Even though I never met him it feels like losing a friend, which is a testament to the character of the man. 

My condolences to his family and all those lucky enough to know him personally. RIP ?