Ripley - Still a possibility?

13 minutes ago, youngen said:

This thread has shown me that there are some serial stalkers amongst Latics fan base

I said something similar on Saturday doing the groceries when the missus couldnt decide between coco pops or cornflakes

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Boro in for Sam Johnstone

Also linked with Rob Green.

Can't just be coincidence that they're linked with every goalkeeper out there.

My guess is Ripley is off either on loan or permanent. But not to us.

*Disclaimer - I did say guess. I hope to God we land him!

36 minutes ago, oafc_lover said:

Also linked with Rob Green.

Can't just be coincidence that they're linked with every goalkeeper out there.

My guess is Ripley is off either on loan or permanent. But not to us.

*Disclaimer - I did say guess. I hope to God we land him!

If ever Playershare was needed.

Edited by BP1960

47 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

If ever Playershare was needed.

Absolutely this, I too mentioned this possibility earlier in this exact same thread - I'd be more than willing to chip in if it meant even the slightest possibility of a return.

Without knowing the ins and outs of how it works - Is there a genuine possibility of those in charge of Playershare sounding this out with the club if we're actually serious about going in for him? 

Just now, deyres42 said:

Who said they are looking to let him leave?

Slice it any way you like, there isn't any circumstance where he ends up playing for us next season.

I think there is next to no chance, but there are plenty of rumours around, Blackburn are interested and they are reportedly in for Sam Johnstone.

I still think virtually no chance, but there is smidgen of a possibility, and SC said in his programme notes for last game that he was still trying

I think you're being deliberately flippant there, clearly I'm not expecting us to lodge a bid for him via player share, I stated I'd be happy to chip in if it would help with the possibility of him coming back.

As said before, the player himself has said he wouldn't rule it out, he's 24 and needs to be playing regularly, not tested in the Championship but most people assume he will end up there despite no sounds from any club about wanting him. It's entirely possible a player that's had one good season his career in League One could actually be playing in League One.  

Only the club know if it's a serious possibility, and if Boro would consider it, which is why I suggested actually having the conversation with them - or does that make me some wild eyed optimist? 

Keep reaching for those stars anyway!!

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Who said they are looking to let him leave?

Slice it any way you like, there isn't any circumstance where he ends up playing for us next season.

If they are signing a new goalkeeper, chances are they will let him go on loan as he wants first team football. Very slim chance for us but I wouldn't say there wasn't any circumstance that he wouldn't play for us. 

1 minute ago, jorvik_latic said:

If they are signing a new goalkeeper, chances are they will let him go on loan as he wants first team football. Very slim chance for us but I wouldn't say there wasn't any circumstance that he wouldn't play for us. 

He either stays at Boro, is sold (which rules us out)  or out on loan to a either mid/lower Championship club or high end L1 club which again rules us out.

In the future who knows but he won't be with us next season.

18 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

He either stays at Boro, is sold (which rules us out)  or out on loan to a either mid/lower Championship club or high end L1 club which again rules us out.

How many of the clubs in that group are looking for a goalkeeper? Not many, I would guess!!!

32 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Agree about being sold. Not seen anyone suggest that, even with £250k magic money.

We'll be a high end L1 this season with him in the team........!

Edited by singe

10 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

All this constant talk of Ripley really bodes well for whoever our new goalkeeper when he signs.

I remember Jon Hallworth getting a bit tired of hearing talk of Andy Goram returning after Andy Rhodes left...... made him perform even better in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, NIKI1234 said:

who was number one out of Rhodes or Hallworth?

They shared it almost equally IIRC.

Royle kept changing them everytime one made a couple of mistakes.

Rhodes played in the League Cup Final. Hallworth played in the F.A. Cup S/F's.

In my opinion, Hallworth was the better keeper. Rhodes could pull off the spectacular but was more likely to drop a clanger.

3 minutes ago, NIKI1234 said:

who was number one out of Rhodes or Hallworth?

Hallworth eventually. Before the 1990/91 season Royle bought John Keeley who had always had a blinder against us for Brighton to replace Hallworth. Keeley then got injured - broken finger?- in the last week of pre season. Hallworth stepped up to play the first game of the season at Wolves and played every game that season if my memory serves.

21 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

I remember Jon Hallworth getting a bit tired of hearing talk of Andy Goram returning after Andy Rhodes left...... made him perform even better in my opinion.

I remember that from the championship winning VHS me old Man had - there's an interview with Hallworth and he says something along the lines of  'at first everyone was saying 'ooh we want Andy Goram back, bring Andy Goram back... But that's stopped now' followed by a properly smug grin.

It's the same video where Ian Marshall is asked for his best goal of the season after the opening day hattrick at Wolves and he glibly replies 'derrs been so many'. ?

Superb player, superb mullet.