Most underrated player of last 15-20 years

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, blueatheart said:

Marc Tierney

I thought that Tierney was fairly well thought of, but he just wasn't good enough at the time to displace a very good Simon Charlton.

Fun fact:  Norwich's full backs when they got promoted to the Premier League in 2010/11 were Tierney and Korey Smith!

57 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I thought that Tierney was fairly well thought of, but he just wasn't good enough at the time to displace a very good Simon Charlton.

Fun fact:  Norwich's full backs when they got promoted to the Premier League in 2010/11 were Tierney and Korey Smith!

I thought he was good, but I didn't pick up on that being the general feeling. It was the free to Shrewsbury that not many people seemed to care about. 

Charlton left at the end of the season and subsequently retired. Poor decision making at the club looking to the future if he was released because of Charlton.

Edit: Still think of that goal of Charlton's against Gillingham though!

Edited by blueatheart

19 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

In terms of who I underrated the most, it'd have to be Tarky. When he first broke into the side, I didn't even see him carving a career out at Football League level, let alone Premier League...

Me too, I thought his lack of pace would be a serious drawback for him (I certainly know my stuff).

49 minutes ago, Hometownclub said:

Me too, I thought his lack of pace would be a serious drawback for him (I certainly know my stuff).

He had everything else though, or showed glimpses of in those first few cameos - came in and marshalled the defence at 19 years old, put mvoto in his place and carried the ball out of defence, did the usual dirty work of a centre half. Still to this day he's slow and turns like a cart horse sometimes but his other traits were far superior of the other centre halves we'd seen before him that season.

On 7/24/2017 at 8:43 AM, deyres42 said:

Was Liddell underrated?

I know one poster on here (who I actually really like and have a lot of time for their opinions) was particularly scathing of Liddell in his time here. I sat behind him away at Forest in a 0-0 draw and the criticism he had for Liddell was quite ridiculous...

2 hours ago, Hometownclub said:

Yep, me too. I remember seeing him get absolutely bullied by Gary Madine at Sheffield and thought he would drift down the Leagues.

Turning point, for me, was Preston away. I haven't seen many better individual performances than him that day...

4 hours ago, Latics_Fanatic said:

Second-spell Mark Allott underrated? Thought he was great in midfield, personally. 

Surely you not forgotten the: "he used to be shite, but now he's alright, walking in an Allott wonderland" chant?

If a player left Latics to go on to achieve fuck all, drop down a level or play in league for another league 1 club are they really underrated? 

Dieng for example was/Is a league 1 player. I read so many times on here he was championship bound. Surely he was overrated?