Shez - "I need five or six players"

17 minutes ago, Latics and England said:

I'd love to know what Shez actually means by needing 5 or 6 players...

Does he think that is what we need to be able to stay up?

Would that mean we could be comfortable and finish mid table?

Does he think that would give us a play-off place?

I don't think we have ever actually been told what the ambition is this season. Presumably Shez has been set a target by Corney. Is that what he is trying to achieve or is he looking to his own ambition above and beyond that?

He sounded like he meant challenging towards playoffs from that and what he's said previously

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Latics and England said:

I'd love to know what Shez actually means by needing 5 or 6 players...

Does he think that is what we need to be able to stay up?

Would that mean we could be comfortable and finish mid table?

Does he think that would give us a play-off place?

I don't think we have ever actually been told what the ambition is this season. Presumably Shez has been set a target by Corney. Is that what he is trying to achieve or is he looking to his own ambition above and beyond that?

2 new outfield players, 1 goalkeeper, plus 3 of the current squad to step up - that makes 6.

We have Gardner, Kyeremeh, Fawns plus Stott, Edmundson who I would expect to push the current failing players. 

Stay positive for a bit longer...then if nothing changes... panic.

I find it unbelievable that Sheridan didnt realize the team is shite and has left it til now to pipe up...

I have been saying for weeks there is no midfield and the centre backs are slow...

Im having serious doubts about the managers capabilities now if im honest...

Unless of course this has been made clear to corney who has told him there is no cash.

Either way..we are in deep shit.

I imagine Corners response to this will be positive...

"Hearing you loud and clear John. You need some new players. That isn't a problem, we should set up a meeting to discuss. Actually there is already a meeting in the diary as I set it recurring a couple of years back. 2nd week of January I believe."

58 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Yeah, I do think he is talking about players stepping up rather than needing 5-6 new ones.

Yep. I've been one of the biggest critics of this side but we just need one or two players to come in to sort out the midfield.

Perhaps Shez is exaggerating to try to get out.

I thinks it's simply Shez administering an arse burning rocket to the underachievers who, quite possibly, he thinks can do better. With that ringing in their ears, it may be that one or two might try a bit harder to avoid ending up with no game time at all or rocking up at the likes of FCUM or equivalent.

I might be way off target with that thought and, of course, it would depend on some lower League outfit actually wanting some of them. Plus, has Uncle Simon got any dosh left for replacements?

Shez has singed their ears, so let's see if it has any effect in the next game or two before we start writing the season off as a disaster.

I'd Say Dummigan Banks Fane are the main culprits he's on about that are not good enough, Dummigan has seriously gone backwards he has a major attitude problem and it won't cut it at this level he has a face like a smacked arse every game, Fane struggles to pass a ball 10 yards and Banks is just a weak player all round, Shez wants to be challenging at the top end of the table he's said it numerous times in interviews, he doesn't want to struggle near the bottom and what he's basically saying is some of these players are not good enough to get the club where he wants to be. Give Shez time we can't expect miracles after one full season in charge, he needs time to shift Robinsons deadwood and build his own squad then we can judge him, everyone panicking after 2 league games and questioning him get real ! Survive this season I'm sure we will with Shez in charge then we can keep building for the future. I hope Shez is here for many years we're lucky to have him back after having to put up with people like Darren Kelly, David Dunn and Steve Robinson for the last few years !

54 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

I thinks it's simply Shez administering an arse burning rocket to the underachievers who, quite possibly, he thinks can do better. With that ringing in their ears, it may be that one or two might try a bit harder to avoid ending up with no game time at all or rocking up at the likes of FCUM or equivalent.

I might be way off target with that thought and, of course, it would depend on some lower League outfit actually wanting some of them. Plus, has Uncle Simon got any dosh left for replacements?

Shez has singed their ears, so let's see if it has any effect in the next game or two before we start writing the season off as a disaster.

The thing is, he has been quite cutting already in his Oxford and Burton post match interviews. With little response from those comments he’s now gone nuclear. It’s very worrying. And while it is still very early, the worry is the closing of the transfer window. Which raises a new level of early concern.

16 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Monty is right in the fact there has been no official confirmation of this happening.

Isn't what he said though. He said “Fact” and you’ve put your words to it. 

He’s talking “probability” but when others do they demand “fact”

Edited by boundaryblue80

IMO the midfield has been terrible so far.

Green looked tired against Oxford, Banks couldn't get into the game, and Fane did his usual 'spoiling', but if Fane is the best we've got in midfield - he got the Star Man in the Chron for that match - it just illustrates how poor we are. As much as he can be effective occasionally he should be nowhere near catching an Oldham Athletic team.

At the back we look laboured. The defence that was so miserly at conceding goals last season seems to have gone. We look too slow at centre back, Clarke is worth his place any day of the week but Gerrard is looking REALLY slow. It's ok winning defensive headers but if anyone runs at him he's lost. Need to give Edmundson and Stott games alongside Clarke.

Up front someone needs to remind Amadi-Holloway that he's allowed to have a shot, it's part of being a striker!! He looks like he thinks all his job is is to bring the ball down and lay it off. Having a shot doesn't seem to be in his thinking!

i think Davies will get us goals, he looks keen and at least he will have a shot if he gets an opportunity, unfortunately he's not getting many opportunities. 

I think McLaughlin, Obadeyi and the new Belgian lad could provide lots of chances for the strikers, providing we've got players in midfield who can do the defensive stuff. Gardner will be an interesting addition. I don't know much about him but I hope he's a 'Richie Wellens' type because that's what we need.

Frustrated with Shez and his comments, 

He has known from day 1 what our problems are - Midfield

Yet who has he signed , defenders and second rate forwards.

Except for Gardner (who we haven't seen yet but will be amazed if he's the answer to our problems) Shez has kept the same midfield despite knowing how inadequate it is.

Stop moaning Shez and get something done about it , you have had long enough to get somebody in so please stop bleating. 

If you can't then move aside and let somebody else in who is prepared to have a go.

1 hour ago, Gary1906 said:

IMO the midfield has been terrible so far.

Green looked tired against Oxford, Banks couldn't get into the game, and Fane did his usual 'spoiling', but if Fane is the best we've got in midfield - he got the Star Man in the Chron for that match - it just illustrates how poor we are. As much as he can be effective occasionally he should be nowhere near catching an Oldham Athletic team.

At the back we look laboured. The defence that was so miserly at conceding goals last season seems to have gone. We look too slow at centre back, Clarke is worth his place any day of the week but Gerrard is looking REALLY slow. It's ok winning defensive headers but if anyone runs at him he's lost. Need to give Edmundson and Stott games alongside Clarke.

Up front someone needs to remind Amadi-Holloway that he's allowed to have a shot, it's part of being a striker!! He looks like he thinks all his job is is to bring the ball down and lay it off. Having a shot doesn't seem to be in his thinking!

i think Davies will get us goals, he looks keen and at least he will have a shot if he gets an opportunity, unfortunately he's not getting many opportunities. 

I think McLaughlin, Obadeyi and the new Belgian lad could provide lots of chances for the strikers, providing we've got players in midfield who can do the defensive stuff. Gardner will be an interesting addition. I don't know much about him but I hope he's a 'Richie Wellens' type because that's what we need.

Gardner isn't a Wellens type,  he needs a couple of strong runners alongside him, give him space though and he will create chances and score spectacular goals.

I did notice in the Stalybridge friendly he played a holding midfielder role (like the old libero's) quite well and maybe Shez will try him there (technically he is excellent), a bit of a waste of attacking flair, but needs must.

Edited by BP1960

2 minutes ago, Clifford said:

Proof please 

There will never be direct proof that Corney signs players. In the past, I’ve seen texts off a sponsor sent by Corney that confirm in my mind he is overly involved in signing players. I also don’t think it was a coincidence that a 5th of the squad we signed under Penney were Jewish (I have no problem that they were...it just leads me to believe they were more TTA’s/Corneys signings than Penney’s.)

As I’ve said in the past...there’s rarely direct evidence from the regime but there are often enough dots to connect to make informed assumptions. 

9 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Gardner isn't a Wellens type,  he needs a couple of strong runners alongside him, give him space though and he will create chances and score spectacular goals.

I did notice in the Stalybridge friendly he played a holding midfielder role (like the old libero's) quite well and maybe Shez will try him there (technically he is excellent), a bit of a waste of attacking flair, but needs must.

We've tried the same conversion with Banks and it's not worked so I hope we don't try the same with Gardner. He needs to go behind the strikers for me, and compete with Flynn for a place.

12 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

The inescapable problem here is that we simply don't have very good players.....Gerrard may have been decent once but is not fit enough to be a professional footballer, Fane is not good enough to be a professional footballer and Banks is not strong enough to be a professional footballer......that is the spine of our team and it's very, very ordinary.

Add to the mix strikers who can't score, midfielders who can't create and not much quality anywhere else in the squad and we really shouldn't be surprised to find ourselves in a relegation battle

i hate being this negative but it really is worrying and Shez must know there is no chance of 5-6 players coming in...and certainly none with any pedigree

Comments in bold are laughable. Gerrard is he most lean he has been in years. Look at gregan what weight you are means nothing in league 1. Fane will play higher than league 1 no doubt about it.  

Once we have someone in front of him who can play football in CM he will be some enforcer. He's a defensive midfielder and when given that role and nothing more is superb. Doesn't have to be 'nice to watch' but he clearly has more than your saying, which is clearly why scouts last season and this season are coming to watch. 

Edited by adamoafc

48 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

I also don’t think it was a coincidence that a 5th of the squad we signed under Penney were Jewish (I have no problem that they were...it just leads me to believe they were more TTA’s/Corneys signings than Penney’s.)

I have a problem with it when one of the players was Joe fucking Colbeck.