Shez - "I need five or six players"

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

To be fair we only have to watch some of the shite for an hour and a half a week Shez has to watch some of those masquerading as footballers for 20/30 hours a week, it must be soul destroying having to teach Banks to head a ball or tackle and Fane how to pass a ball 6 foot when you've had such an illustrious playing career.

Better players have managed worse teams...

3 minutes ago, latics22 said:

I think he did the right thing and has every right to say that. I don't believe he will be leaving or he is under pressure. I have every faith in him the man is a club legend! 2 to 3 midfield players and a striker, will make a world of difference. There must be money in the pot that was going to be used for ripley. Is shez we trust!!!

Maybe we didn't bring Ripley in because we haven't a pot to piss in and the money never existed, can't see how Ripley would of preferred Burtons bench to starting for us and I'm sure there could of been a deal to be done if we could of financed it.

6 hours ago, Fergie said:

You couldn't make it up FFS, could this not have been sorted out weeks ago. 

OK, I know hindsight is wonderful etc, but what exactly do you mean by "weeks ago"? Until he sees the side in action - largely the side that showed play-off form after he came back - how is he supposed to "sort out" anything?

We are 2 games in, 44 to go. Even allowing for the death wish tendencies of some on here, get a grip and let manager and chairman sort it out.

2 hours ago, Clifford said:

When shez asks for more money perhaps Simon will ask him how many goals he has got out of his record signing. No goals but 3200 chest traps and 730 aimless flick ons. 

That Corney signing that Shez didn't want last season? Ok. 

I actually like him though. 

4 hours ago, maddog said:

I just found it an honest interview from an angry manager. Angry that his players haven't done what he asked. I think he's clearly respected by the players, so he's probably hoping the players he's talking about (who will know who they are from his dressing room rant) will respond and do better (tactically and/or effort). If they don't, it forces Corney's hand to get it sorted and stick his hand in his pocket. 

This. I listened to the interview and heard a guy who is very frustrated but cares deeply. No way is he about to walk away. If he resigns voluntarily he loses any managerial credibility. 

People on here need to get a grip and get behind team and manager.

The inescapable problem here is that we simply don't have very good players.....Gerrard may have been decent once but is not fit enough to be a professional footballer, Fane is not good enough to be a professional footballer and Banks is not strong enough to be a professional footballer......that is the spine of our team and it's very, very ordinary.

Add to the mix strikers who can't score, midfielders who can't create and not much quality anywhere else in the squad and we really shouldn't be surprised to find ourselves in a relegation battle

i hate being this negative but it really is worrying and Shez must know there is no chance of 5-6 players coming in...and certainly none with any pedigree

I would much rather hear the manager speak like this after a loss, than spewing some "we will take it day by day and get better" bullshit, he sounded like a fan who was totally invested! 

Why after 2 games has everyone started questioning the manager we all wanted? Just relax if it's the same in January then yes panic but right now there's a whole lotta football to be played 

Shez ain't leaving (for the moment).  That's a very emotive, heart on the sleeve interview -

1. Telling some players who aren't delivering what's expected of them that's it's last chance saloon

2. A "show me the money" to the owners/investors that the current players aren't sufficient if those same owners/investors want an improvement on last season/season before.

The major concern for me is that those players in 1 won't attract interest from other clubs so we can't offload to help fund 2.  That means 2 can only be achieved by pumping more money in.  Correct me if I'm wrong but the club have been open that funds were available to sign another keeper, a midfielder and a winger with Kyeremeh being the winger.  Shez is stating that we need another 5 or 6 - presumably 3 to 4 of those to replace rather than compliment - so further funds are needed than what the club has suggested.  Going to be interesting how that stand-off will conclude!

Our team is crying out for a Baxter-type player so why not get Baxter?!  I'm certain Everton will allow him to come back, our board could wrangle an affordable deal so why the delay - Shez not interested?!

I'm in the States at moment so lost track of these rumours of a takeover / new investment.  Is this all unfounded or strongly linked to the Chinese digital media boards group?!  

6 hours ago, flashlatic said:

First game I watched was in 1977. Seen a lot of shite and a lot of good stuff. I thought we were firked after the Moore fiasco. We always seem to get out of the shite. Not sure we can get out of this one. Luck runs out eventually...

Oh FFS 

We've lost at the Bescot 2 games into a 46 game season.

Trump press the nuclear button now! Let's end this misery before some halfwit says "let's throw the kids in we are going down anyway it will be entertaining"

Edited by GlossopLatic

There's a lot that I admire about Sheridan coming out and making it abundantly clear that these aren't the standards he expects from some of the squad.  By doing it now he has at least left himself some time to manoeuvre in the transfer window rather than in late August/early September.  Thankfully I would trust him to wheel and deal after the last 2 seasons.

But I am worried and a bit saddened to hear him say that we need a squad overhaul.  Worried because, even with him in charge, it isn't going to be easy to shift that much deadwood and find the same number of replacements.  I don't think we are completely poor financially but nor do I think we can compete for a lot of players who are good enough for this level.

And saddened because while I had no illusions about the squad being great, I was confident that Shez was able to get a tune out of them similar to how he did from January onwards.  We have a lot of players who I thought with the right management and coaching could do well at this level.  Clearly the players that could've gone either way have gone the wrong way, without that and without good team chemistry it is another relegation battling squad.

I really thought that this season would be the one where we finally made some progress up the league.  Even with Shez in charge, another relegation battle would be hard to swallow and while it's still early, things don't look promising.

I'd love to know what Shez actually means by needing 5 or 6 players...

Does he think that is what we need to be able to stay up?

Would that mean we could be comfortable and finish mid table?

Does he think that would give us a play-off place?

I don't think we have ever actually been told what the ambition is this season. Presumably Shez has been set a target by Corney. Is that what he is trying to achieve or is he looking to his own ambition above and beyond that?