Movement, Pressing, Closing down.

Right well we've all seen the first few games and we are starting to get an idea of some of the patterns and strengths and weaknesses of this team.

I think we all agree that midfield is the major weakness but what's dissapointed me most is just how static we are. You would thought the idea yesterday of playing 5 across the middle would mean that we would stifle Wigan in the middle of the park and yet they ran rings round us. We stood off them too much and didn't show enough urgency to go and win the ball back. Yet when we get the ball we are too static. Knowone is making a run to receive the ball. Yet Wigan yesterday got the ball players were making runs and when they didn't have it they pressed us high up the pitch usually resulting in us having to just go long to Holloway who had to fight it out on his own against 2 big centre backs and on the times he did win that battle our midfield just didn't get up the pitch quick enough to support him. 

Banks is probably the main culprit for this he's a very static player now his manager made a career here of not moving too far from the centre of the pitch. But Banks isn't as good as him so he's going to have to learn how to close people down and press them. He did that on one occasion in the first half forced his opponent to go backwards and was actually unlucky he should have got a free kick he needs to do more of things like that. Not only that but if someone was backing him up we could have won the ball back and been clean through on goal. Fane obviously can run but his decision making is poor and this probably annoys Sheridan quite alot which is why he was out the team yesterday.

It's a collective problem this we need to go and hunt in packs and win the ball back and start forcing mistakes from the opposition. We also need to show more movement when we've got the ball we are very easy to defend against if everyone is standing still it we need to move. Hopefully the signings that we do bring in can add this dimension.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What signings Shez has stated there is no chance of anyone signing soon. We all know we are missing a quality goalkeeper, a scorer of goals like Erwin, and two midfielders who are prepared to run into spaces and create play. Unless Mr Corney gets out his cheque book we will truly die with this team. There must be talented players who we could get on a season loan and there are still experienced goalkeepers without a club. Come on Simon dig deep and get us out of this mess. Fane and Banks should be loaned out to a division 2 club for a season.

Why do the knives always come out for Banks. He is the only midfielder that looks for anything other than a square or backwards pass. Also the only one who even considers taking a shot at goal.  

The boo boys have a new target this season, when the rest of the midfield on Saturday, Rob included, were inept. I a decent challenging midfield, Banks would be a play maker but in Latic's team he has to try and be everything and gets the horrendous stick for it fro supposed Latics fans. Give the poor guy a break and perhaps select some team mates to help out in midfield? Let's hope Green is fit soon as the three of Banks, Green and Gardner should be able to do better? May even allow Ryan to stay on the wing but please Shez, one winger not two, when we are so pushed in the middle.

Let's hope for a sunny day (football wise) at the seaside.

38 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

Because he's shit?

Interesting that Shez keeps picking him and drops others? Then again Shez, Wright and Wellens are just our management team and an all ex-players, what would they know about skills and trying to do everything while your team-mates play statues in midfield (as Saturday)? I must remember when I'm watching the kids playing to help then along by abusing their every kick as often and as loudly as possible. It is bound to improve their performance....maybe not?

1 hour ago, Chaddy14 said:

Why do the knives always come out for Banks. He is the only midfielder that looks for anything other than a square or backwards pass. Also the only one who even considers taking a shot at goal.  

The boo boys have a new target this season, when the rest of the midfield on Saturday, Rob included, were inept. I a decent challenging midfield, Banks would be a play maker but in Latic's team he has to try and be everything and gets the horrendous stick for it fro supposed Latics fans. Give the poor guy a break and perhaps select some team mates to help out in midfield? Let's hope Green is fit soon as the three of Banks, Green and Gardner should be able to do better? May even allow Ryan to stay on the wing but please Shez, one winger not two, when we are so pushed in the middle.

Let's hope for a sunny day (football wise) at the seaside.

Banks is shit, no heart, can't tackle, can't head a ball, can't use his left peg, no desire, he takes all the dead balls which are generally piss poor and gets bullied and dominated week in week out, his goalscoring record is also pretty diabolical for someone who takes all the free kicks and generally plays as the furthest foreward of our midfield, he'd struggle in the Conference never mind in League 1 and that's being kind to the guy.

There were two differences between us and Wigan.  Ability was obvious but as you point out movement/speed/fitness (call it what you like) was the other.  I rather think it is because of desire/commitment - they or most of them are coasting, going through the motions - no umph to do anything other than survive and by so doing putting our ongoing league one status at risk.  

28 minutes ago, Chaddy14 said:

Interesting that Shez keeps picking him and drops others? Then again Shez, Wright and Wellens are just our management team and an all ex-players, what would they know about skills and trying to do everything while your team-mates play statues in midfield (as Saturday)? I must remember when I'm watching the kids playing to help then along by abusing their every kick as often and as loudly as possible. It is bound to improve their performance....maybe not?

He doesn't try and do everything though and his teammates weren't statues (Gardner closed down as much as he could especially in front of the defenders - making him less of an attacking threat, Hunt wasn't the best with his control going yards in front of him, McLaughlin was our second best player and Kyeremeh had a decent debut but refused to go down the line). He shits out of tackles and doesn't close down. He keeps getting picked because the other (slightly better) options are injured. I don't abuse him when he's playing as I get behind the team but I'll opine on here if that's ok with you?

Edited by jorvik_latic

25 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Banks is shit, no heart, can't tackle, can't head a ball, can't use his left peg, no desire, he takes all the dead balls which are generally piss poor and gets bullied and dominated week in week out, his goalscoring record is also pretty diabolical for someone who takes all the free kicks and generally plays as the furthest foreward of our midfield, he'd struggle in the Conference never mind in League 1 and that's being kind to the guy.

Don't hold back.......you need to get it out of your system!!!

1 hour ago, Chaddy14 said:

Being an ex-player doesn't always make you a good manager/coach.............the game is littered with ex-players who tried and failed in management with others who have never played the game professionally or at a high level becoming successful managers.

But please enlighten us on here, Chaddy14.....what do you see in Banks and what has he done that several of us have missed?

Edited by mikejh45

Whilst its difficult to pick out good points from the season so far - and from the game on Saturday, but I am with the very small minority that doesn't think that Bank's is the pathetic excuse for a footballer many on here (and in the ground) think he is.

As I said, no player is doing well at the moment, but Banks for me isn't worse than Fane, Dummingan, Hunt (on Saturday), Green etc etc in our midfield.  My frustration with Banks is that I think he has the potential to be our best midfielder, and the fact that he isn't means a waste of talent.

I know that this view is not popular - so expect the abuse that follows....

Mike Jones was only 5'8" and compared to Banks, he was a superstar!!!

You felt that if we had a free kick in a dangerous place, it was a goal or the goalkeeper had made a good save. He ran with the ball and put in a few tackles. Not everything came off or even close to everything but at the end, I always felt he put a shift in.

With Banks, the free kicks are powderpuff as are his tackles and the rest of his game and when he walks off, I get the impression he doesn't trouble his underarm deodorant.

We had a good midfield with Jones and Kelly but that little gimp ruined it by playing the diamond and forcing players into that formation and we are seeing the same again with Sheridan, I'm afraid. One week, we play a narrow four, then we go wide but put our best wide player on the left and a midfield workhorse on the right and them we go to a midfield five.........pick a b*stard. bluddy system and put the best players in that system and stick to it for more than ten b*stard minutes. We've got three midfield players that played at a high level but I don't they see the sh*te that we have to suffer.......maybe if Wellens sat in the Director's, it may give him a clue.

5 hours ago, Hands on said:

There were two differences between us and Wigan.  Ability was obvious but as you point out movement/speed/fitness (call it what you like) was the other.  I rather think it is because of desire/commitment - they or most of them are coasting, going through the motions - no umph to do anything other than survive and by so doing putting our ongoing league one status at risk.  

you said two .... that's six :) 

6 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Gardner is similar in style to Jones so we just need another like Kelly.

Could we have offered more than Coventry to get him back?

Scrap that.......dumbass question....what was I thinking!!!

Edited by mikejh45

20 hours ago, jorvik_latic said:

He doesn't try and do everything though and his teammates weren't statues (Gardner closed down as much as he could especially in front of the defenders - making him less of an attacking threat, Hunt wasn't the best with his control going yards in front of him, McLaughlin was our second best player and Kyeremeh had a decent debut but refused to go down the line). He shits out of tackles and doesn't close down. He keeps getting picked because the other (slightly better) options are injured. I don't abuse him when he's playing as I get behind the team but I'll opine on here if that's ok with you?

Opinion is what's OWTB is all about. Be a bit naff if we all agreed about everything, except our favourite team and the pain they cause.

18 hours ago, Scapegoat said:

Whilst its difficult to pick out good points from the season so far - and from the game on Saturday, but I am with the very small minority that doesn't think that Bank's is the pathetic excuse for a footballer many on here (and in the ground) think he is.

As I said, no player is doing well at the moment, but Banks for me isn't worse than Fane, Dummingan, Hunt (on Saturday), Green etc etc in our midfield.  My frustration with Banks is that I think he has the potential to be our best midfielder, and the fact that he isn't means a waste of talent.

I know that this view is not popular - so expect the abuse that follows....

I agree with this. I don't suggest he is a great player, just he seems to get the most stick when they are all playing rubbish in a crazy and ever changing system. You're right that he (and possibly Flynn) are capable of much better if they extract digit.

Hell if you're going to play Hunt in the middle why not McLaughlin.

Tope last season was dangerous off the right cutting in. He was there briefly when he came on against Walsall and had a reasonable opportunity in the short time he was on. 

For all McLaughlin has been a shining light this season he hasn't got many crosses in the box and a lot of the time his attacks get put out for corners. 

Gardner needs to affect the play further forward for us to look threatening and be able to probe the opposition. Perhaps if Green is fit that might allow him to do so. 

Banks looked alright last season but I'd put Fawns ahead of him so far this season

On 22 August 2017 at 10:54 PM, BP1960 said:

I've seen worse players in my time, but I can't remember a more disjointed team.

I think this is it, for me.

Davies n Holloway are basically the same player, need to play one of them with Tope alongside.

Green is a CDM not a winger.

Banks is not a CDM.

I don't actually think that this squad is as bad as it is showing, just that the formation and/or the starting XI is slightly offskewed.

On 8/22/2017 at 10:54 PM, BP1960 said:

I've seen worse players in my time, but I can't remember a more disjointed team.

I think this is it.

Last season the predominantly same team that started the season is total disarray, completed it.  We were never as bad as we looked at the start, and we were never world beaters at the end of it - the difference that Sheridan brought last season (and the one before) was organisation and belief, which in turn brought confidence.  The good results were based on being hard to beat, and taking the odd chance that we did create.

The pre-season optimism was based on seeing a good proportion of our that team being joined by a few decent but not amazing players - and the belief that we would maintain the organisation and being hard to beat and do OK.  I think talk of promotion and the play-offs was always very optimistic, but I think a solid season of not being worried seriously about relegation and maybe getting into the promised lands of mid-table mediocrity is what we expected.

The few performances and extended highlights I have seen so far this season indicate we have lost that organisation and robustness.  We look confused - shape, selections etc changing too much - and lost.

The plus side is we have lost to 2 decent teams in Wigan and Oxford and I think the last 50/60 minutes against Wigan was the best I've seen us play (though Wigan looked to have taken the foot off the gas) and a narrow away defeat.  The other factor is that Sheridan has shown he can organise and give belief to teams - and that is probably all that stands between us and being OK this season.

Yes its a depressing start to the season - but too early to press the panic button just yet. Another 2 or 3 games and we can start to really assess where we are.