• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spent so much time as a youngster dodging aggressive dogs and getting soaked through delivering the Chron. It feels like a little part of me has died.  

I even remember the 'test tube baby born in OLDHAM' edition, I seem to remember they had to do 2 print runs but my memory is not always to be trusted.

Normally No News is Good News but this is terrible news. Feel devastated for all the staff, the Chron was an institution.

As a long distance fan & exile I read it everyday online so can't imagine life without it.

The only small crumb of comfort 'Sadly' is that Ibby or is it MFC or is it Faraz Khan won't be able to post his incoherent ramblings 'Sadly' after every article.

I do find it sad that they weren't able to print today. I'm sure some sort of final commemorative edition would have boosted the coffers of the administrators too as it would have sold way more than the standard edition. 

A sort of journey through the last 150 years as it were. Focussing of course on the 1988-1994 period of OAFC's history.

2 minutes ago, OldHallam said:

That is down to KPMG and missed a trick a one off final paper would have done well. Can only assume just so far in mire no good will to print it. 

The paid-for Chronicle had a circulation of 6,408, according to ABC figures to June. It has been experiencing steady circulation decline since 2000 when it sold more than 30,000 copies in the first half of the year. Been told the date significant as month end. Suppose its a good reminder of dont use it lose it stuff changes.

Chron Press Gazette gives a good overview. 

Interesting that they specifically mention the pension liabilities.

I can see it being resurrected in some format. I suspect it could be viable without those liabilities and with fewer staff. May be as an online publication with only 1 print edition per week. A lot of regional papers seem to do that now.

3 minutes ago, bozman said:

Interesting that they specifically mention the pension liabilities.

I can see it being resurrected in some format. I suspect it could be viable without those liabilities and with fewer staff. May be as an online publication with only 1 print edition per week. A lot of regional papers seem to do that now.

Not sure who owns them, but the Bury Times and Tameside Reporter seem to keep going with a weekly print edition. 

2 hours ago, LaticMark said:

Not sure who owns them, but the Bury Times and Tameside Reporter seem to keep going with a weekly print edition. 

Bury Times has been weekly for at least 30 years. (They did a smaller Tuesday version to go with a big Friday edition for a period but that stopped, I think).

Think I did hear something about them struggling for funds, but given the nature of the newspaper business that doesn't surprise me.

Lots of local papers are owned by the Trinity Mirror (Evening News) didn't Oldham used to have the advertiser?

48 minutes ago, underdog said:

Do you remember spot the ball competition?...I was never anywhere near that bloody ball with my X

My mate won the ringed head in the crowd, problem was he should have been at work. His boss wasn't too pleased when he saw it. 

1 minute ago, opinions4u said:

The official answer wasn't where the ball was anyway.  Rigged.

Bastards......as a child my parents always allowed me the last few X's..knew I should have put a ruddy big X right over the whole back and white photo??he he

would explain why I never met anyone who won it..didn't they use to come around and collect the money from your house. Or have I confused this with the rent man

Edited by underdog

46 minutes ago, underdog said:

Do you remember spot the ball competition?...I was never anywhere near that bloody ball with my X

When I was a young lad, I kept scrapbooks of all Latics games - match reports and photos. Imagine my glee when I noticed that the picture in the Spot the Ball competition was one that I had in my scrapbook.

i carefully measured the exact centre of the ball and placed the winning 'x' on the picture along with a few other random selections for effect and submitted my entry.

I then waited for the weekend to see my name in the paper along with notification of my winnings...

I won won second prize with a near miss... but I could hardly complain could I? 

Could have set set me up for life...

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

My mate won the ringed head in the crowd, problem was he should have been at work. His boss wasn't too pleased when he saw it. 

Hahah...oh dear...that's priceless....isn't there something like that on OWTB or was it the programmes...face in the crowd.

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

When I was a young lad, I kept scrapbooks of all Latics games - match reports and photos. Imagine my glee when I noticed that the picture in the Spot the Ball competition was one that I had in my scrapbook.

i carefully measured the exact centre of the ball and placed the winning 'x' on the picture along with a few other random selections for effect and submitted my entry.

I then waited for the weekend to see my name in the paper along with notification of my winnings...

Ohhhhh I see so your the reason why our clubs in a pickle....that near miss meant your couldn't buy us...damn that spot the ball comp..but yes I remember now your X had to be a particular size and all.

congrats by the way on coming second in a. Nice way and I can now say I know someone who won something on it too

Edited by underdog

4 hours ago, underdog said:

My great uncle did spot the ball every week (well into his 70s). He was careful with his money (as many people from that era were), and would walk from Heyside to the Union Street chronicle offices (and back) to post his spot the ball entry. That save him a 2d stamp (or thereabouts). It obviously worked well, as he died in his 90s leaving a lot of money to his family.

That's a 3.5 mile walk every week, to save 2d.

Oh! and he never won.

5 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Hirst Kidd and Rennie: origins of Photoshop...

4 minutes ago, latics22 said:

How much is two d

Less than 1p.   And did you know that Mouldy Old Dough was written as a satire on decimalisation? Perhaps not the most biting piece of political satire ever written.

Edited by Dave_Og