Takeover / New Investment - What Rumours Have You Heard?

18 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Personally think you’ve been the only poster to give a reasonable view about the whole saga. You’ve got the weirdos who will defend the club to the hill for unpaid bills claiming Keegan’s story is a lie... Where’s their proof?

It's in the Daily Mail

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I take the statement and the trust's position on face value. Until proven otherwise, I have faith in what the owner is saying and that the trust is doing its job in ensuring the future of the club is safeguarded. Let AL and the trust do their work. If the trust is happy, I am happy. 

A little bit of knowledge is dangerous so I would advise against using it to extrapolate what you believe to be the truth about the club. 

Trust Statement from Facebook:

In response to the recent article regarding the club, the Trust wish to reassure fans that we are fully aware of the real situation at the club and continue to closely monitor all aspects.

As a Trust we have been given more access in the last 6 months since Abdallah took ownership, than we have ever had under the previous regime. Abdallah has been completely open with us since taking full control, and we continue to question, monitor and most importantly have an open dialogue with him.

Abdallah is still finalising the transition of ownership, and dealing with the legacy of the previous regime, before he is able to roll out his own plans for the club.

He has already shown his commitment to Oldham Athletic by investing considerable sums to cover many of these legacy issues plus the running costs for last season.

The timing of this article and the one prior to our crucial final game of the season are not a coincidence. What’s most disappointing is, this is whilst employees at the club are working extremely hard in this crucial pre-season period to focus on making this coming season a successful one, as should we all.

It is especially unfortunate that this article appears to be intended to create a feeling of negativity, in a week when we've had extremely positive news that the club have re-signed Jose Baxter and season ticket sales are higher than they have been for many years.

12 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Personally think you’ve been the only poster to give a reasonable view about the whole saga. You’ve got the weirdos who will defend the club to the hill for unpaid bills claiming Keegan’s story is a lie... Where’s their proof?

I think the statement is quite classy actually.

It ignores the hacks sensationalist article that, frankly, is all over the place in its chronology and is based on rumours from apparently disgruntled ex players that he wont name because he is a typical modern gutless Journo. 

AL has said it was a mess, he has said he has thrown a lot of cash at it and will continue to do so until its on an even keel.  I don't expect or want any more than that so I will take him at his word until PROVEN wrong.  He seems decent so why wouldn't anyone take him at his word?  He deserves that respect as would anyone else.

Keegan proved fuck all with his wet rant other than he has to make a living and will write any old dross, some of it based on year old rumour... none of it evidentially current.

3 minutes ago, singe said:

Trust Statement from Facebook:

In response to the recent article regarding the club, the Trust wish to reassure fans that we are fully aware of the real situation at the club and continue to closely monitor all aspects.

As a Trust we have been given more access in the last 6 months since Abdallah took ownership, than we have ever had under the previous regime. Abdallah has been completely open with us since taking full control, and we continue to question, monitor and most importantly have an open dialogue with him.

Abdallah is still finalising the transition of ownership, and dealing with the legacy of the previous regime, before he is able to roll out his own plans for the club.

He has already shown his commitment to Oldham Athletic by investing considerable sums to cover many of these legacy issues plus the running costs for last season.

The timing of this article and the one prior to our crucial final game of the season are not a coincidence. What’s most disappointing is, this is whilst employees at the club are working extremely hard in this crucial pre-season period to focus on making this coming season a successful one, as should we all.

It is especially unfortunate that this article appears to be intended to create a feeling of negativity, in a week when we've had extremely positive news that the club have re-signed Jose Baxter and season ticket sales are higher than they have been for many years.

Interesting comment re the timing. Definitely, something I am sure quite a few of us felt was intentional.

6 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

based on rumours from apparently disgruntled ex players that he wont name because he is a typical modern gutless Journo. 

In which long gone era did journalists name their sources? 

3 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

In which long gone era did journalists name their sources? 

Not in the last 30 years.  Your point?  

If the sources no longer work for the club what's the problem in being open?  If they wont be open then Keegan should act like a journalist and investigate, not just report what someone with an axe to grind tells him.  That's not journalism, but then there aren't many journalists left.  Where was the clubs right to reply in that piece?  Has he tried to get a proper interview with AL to talk about his plans and the future?  Of course he hasn't.  This is easier, lazy and pointless.

3 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Not in the last 30 years.  Your point?  

If the sources no longer work for the club what's the problem in being open?  If they wont be open then Keegan should act like a journalist and investigate, not just report what someone with an axe to grind tells him.  That's not journalism, but then there aren't many journalists left.  Where was the clubs right to reply in that piece?  Has he tried to get a proper interview with AL to talk about his plans and the future?  Of course he hasn't.  This is easier, lazy and pointless.

Abdallah was clearly asked questions for this piece. There are multiple quotes followed by ‘Lemsagam told Sportsmail’ etc... 

When asked by the BBC OAFC declined to comment on the issues raised and the club statement doesn’t rebut any of the claims in the article.

Just now, Dave_Og said:

Try ever. 

Not so.  I've read plenty of articles where people are quoted. So have you.  But now it is extremely rare and in maters such as these, non-existent.  Its a licence to say anything.

I've got to say that I totally respect what AL is trying to do for our club, if he was aware of the magnitude of the job when he took over he wouldn't have touched us with a barge pole but he is sticking by us and attempting to dig us out of the shit, whoever it is whose stirring the pot is a cunt of the highest order and a fucking sad bitter one at that, I would fucking love us to have a modicum of success if only to piss off the jealous bitter saddo who has nothing to do other than tarnish our clubs name.

57 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

Does concern me from that statement that AL has discovered that the mess was bigger than expected.  If he's the shrewd businessman we're hoping for then there's a massive question over due diligence.... unless there's suggestion the previous owner didn't declare everything.  If that's the case then is there any legal rights here or is it a 'sold as seen' scenario?

Heres hoping he has the funds

A couple of key quotes from AL:

“I have invested several millions in the club since my arrival but unfortunately the mess was bigger then we expected."

“Let me be clear, I am here for the long term. I will continue to invest whenever it is needed but our ultimate goal is to run the club in a responsible and sustainable manner."

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2018/june/06062018-abdallah-club-statement/

11 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Not so.  I've read plenty of articles where people are quoted. So have you.  But now it is extremely rare and in maters such as these, non-existent.  Its a licence to say anything.

Surely journalists reveal sources where the source consents to be quoted and don’t when they don’t. 

12 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Abdallah was clearly asked questions for this piece. There are multiple quotes followed by ‘Lemsagam told Sportsmail’ etc... 

When asked by the BBC OAFC declined to comment on the issues raised and the club statement doesn’t rebut any of the claims in the article.

One quote which doesn't confirm or deny any of the "facts" or figures he's chucking about

'I wanted to give the fans a present, to make them dream,'

oh and 

'cleaning up' 

No other quotes, just claims of what he's said with no quotes. If he did speak to those lowlifes I hope he's learnt his lesson and tells them where to go next time.

It may have cost him a fair few grand but I appreciate the present he gave us, Queensys winner against the bastards was highly enjoyable

Nazon just retweeted the club statement with a thumbs up. 

Good sign in my eyes when a player is doing that.

I like the statement, doesn't give too much away granted but clear and too the point. He's spent money and is willing to spend more to sort us out. 

Lets just crack on and see what happens. 

30 minutes ago, Ryan said:

The problem is, those quotes could be from any time in the last 6 months. 

Which is why a degree of caution should be used. Some are unquestioningly accepting it's a current quote. May be, may be not. 

3 minutes ago, singe said:

Which is why a degree of caution should be used. Some are unquestioningly accepting it's a current quote. May be, may be not. 

Good point to be fair. No dates where given. 

40 minutes ago, Ryan said:

not really. you aren't reading it properly.

10 minutes ago, singe said:

Ryan is certainly swallowing it whole...

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

Ryan is certainly swallowing it whole...

There’s no evidence to suggest that it’s anything but. I’d love to be proved wrong, until then...

Archived