Takeover / New Investment - What Rumours Have You Heard?

I thought I'd start a thread to bring the rumours together in one place.  This post will tell you what I've heard.  Feel free to add what you've heard.  It might all be complete nonsense, but that's part of the fun of a good football messageboard.

FACT:

Corney has introduced us to the name Abdullah or Abdallah as a potential investor.

RUMOURS WITHOUT STRONG EVIDENCE (YET):

The new investor will own 70% of the club.

Corney will remain as chairman, owning 27% of the club.  This will help him retain USA residential status.

The new owner wishes to appoint the Lincoln manager as our new manager, firing off Shez.

Most of yesterday's missing players have been told to find new clubs before the transfer deadline.  Latics won't be cancelling their contracts though.

A series of new signings have been lined up by the new owner.

MISSING BITS:

If Abdullah is an agent, how does this square with owning a majority stake in a football club?

How does the alleged new ownership structure affect Brassbank, OEC, land ownership, if at all?

That's what I've heard.  None of it backed up with anything concrete.  But feel free to discuss what else might be going on, speculate wildly and worry accordingly.

For me, I'd happily sacrifice Sheridan for a filthy rich owner willing to throw lots of money at it.  The arrangement highlighted above feels nothing like that though and makes me very uncomfortable.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ghostofcecere said:

How does Corney's involvement in an English football club help him with his US residential status? Or is it a case of him spending less time over here if he has just a 27% stake??

Something to do with USA residency rules to define an important businessman.

Apparently a divorce plus no important business = leave now or we'll deport you.

(All rumour, I do t know the specifics of the rules).

I don't love the idea of 70% ownership but leaving Corney in place. I'm not a Corney hater by any stretch. I think he's done what he can to the best of his ability but I would hope for a chairman with more footballing nouse, who won't make the mistakes Corney has. Also 70% but staying in the background would make me question his commitment. 

Just now, Fergie said:

There is that much shit going about I don't know what or who to believe. But I tell you one thing we are up shit street big style. 

Correct fergie, we are in a real mess. From top to bottom. 

Get the feeling shez knows alls not well for him.

It seems pretty clear that Corney is looking to end his involvement with the football side, his video was essentially a resignation speech.

Time will tell what the intentions of this 'investor' are but OAFC are unlikely to be the main benefactors IMO.

29 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

It seems pretty clear that Corney is looking to end his involvement with the football side, his video was essentially a resignation speech.

Time will tell what the intentions of this 'investor' are but OAFC are unlikely to be the main benefactors IMO.

You could say that nothing much will change then.

20 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Id like to know who's the other interested party he mentioned.

There's more to this than meets the eye.

Probably just a negotiation tactic that... don't want the potential investor thinking he has it all wrapped up...as if we could have two interested investors though haha! 

59 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

You could say that nothing much will change then.

This is my fear and expectation. We need new owners who want to improve the football club. Minimal investment won't move us forward.

We are working with rumours but it does sound like all that is happening is that someone else is getting involved who has their own agenda. It sounds like Corney will still be there as a decision maker.

Suggestions that that there is already more decisions being taken o we the manager's head has to be a massive warning sign.

We have heard for years from Simon Corney that he will only sell to someone with the best interests of the club at heart. I hope he hasn't been saying "the club" when he meant "Simon Corney".

5 minutes ago, Latics and England said:

This is my fear and expectation. We need new owners who want to improve the football club. Minimal investment won't move us forward.

We are working with rumours but it does sound like all that is happening is that someone else is getting involved who has their own agenda. It sounds like Corney will still be there as a decision maker.

Suggestions that that there is already more decisions being taken o we the manager's head has to be a massive warning sign.

We have heard for years from Simon Corney that he will only sell to someone with the best interests of the club at heart. I hope he hasn't been saying "the club" when he meant "Simon Corney".

If they invest enough for a new fitness coach and physio that would help. I fail to see how a "professional" outfit can have about 40% of the squad injured, mainly in training and warm up. 

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Shez wanted Jack Byrne. Was expecting it tied up for the Blackpool game. Club halted the deal.

This investor has brought a load of trialists over and they will be who we sign. 

Shez will be replaced.

I am fairly confident the top 2 are true...

I read the club need to sell first  before bringing in.Byrne due to the FFP embargo.

48 minutes ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

If they invest enough for a new fitness coach and physio that would help. I fail to see how a "professional" outfit can have about 40% of the squad injured, mainly in training and warm up. 

24yo Jason Oswell of Stockport has scored 10 goals already this season and is a qualified physio.

He won the golden boot in the Welsh Premier league last season. 2 for the price of 1.

Change required and am prepared to take the chance that that change might not be for the good long term. It might however be the start of something great. It's worth the risk. The alternative is continual slow decline. 

Archived