Takeover / New Investment - What Rumours Have You Heard?

That line about Corney wanting to sell comes up again in this thread, and I know he's said it more than a few times, but i think if he was serious about that it would have happened a long time ago.  If he was so keen, it wouldn't come down to whether the potential buyers are "the right people".  If that were the really the reason for dismissing such interested parties, Corney wouldn't have even entertained discussions with Vaughan's crew.  Wanting to sell and being willing to sell for a stupid amount of money are two different things.  My house isn't for sale but, if I could convince someone to pay a million quid for it, I'd snap their hand off.

I heard the same thing o4u posted about Corney needing to stay involved at Latics to protect other interests and that was a long time ago.

It's not the first time the fans have been given a vague indication that there's interest from a potential investor when things are not going to plan on the pitch.  For now I'm still filing it under believe it when I see it.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Andy b said:

I currently don't believe proper investment or a takeover are imminent. My prediction - we will make a couple of make do and mend signings this week which the owners will claim we have stretched ourselves to secure and we will be told that's yer lot and that we should count ourselves lucky for being in league 1 etc etc. 

i believe nothing that is spouted in those interviews.

This is the camp I'm in.... I just don't believe it at all. Something isn't right with how it's been announced and the form/attitude of the players and staff. 

I don't know what is going on but im fairly confident we wont be taken over any time soon. 

Im at a point know where id prefer corney to sell to anyone. The EFL do a fit and proper test and if someone passes that its good enough for me. Corney holding out for someone who he feels is right wgikst dragging the club down seems counter productive to me

One thing I can't see anywhere is what this investor is worth. Or what those he's facilitating are worth. And what they might be willing to put into us. 

I think Simon has tried to control the news here by doing the bit with the official site after being contacted by the Chronicle. I think the smarter move would have been to play ball with the Chron and feed them a few lines to keep us informed. I've a horrible feeling he's set himself up for a fall because - as he amusingly said - people take what he says literally. 

I recall Mike Keegan saying previous interest fell at the due diligence stage. 

I hope for the best but fear the worst - as usual. 

3 hours ago, underdog said:

I can assure you your Trust directors are in regular contact and are monitoring the situation and concerns from the terraces too.

tbh Tracy I've found Corney, the commercial department and the trust to be equally inept this season - You know why! Tried to put money into both this season with ZERO success and Mr Brooke denies knowing anything about it!

28 minutes ago, Simoncorneyisgod said:

tbh Tracy I've found Corney, the commercial department and the trust to be equally inept this season - You know why! Tried to put money into both this season without ZERO success and Mr Brooke denies knowing anything about it!

Give us a shout if you want to do something about that username, yeah?

'The club is for sale to the right person' what a caring man, looking after the well being of oafc. Been fed that one too many times I am afraid. It's crap and the sooner fans agree are united in agreement (which we must be getting close to) the better.

17 minutes ago, Andy b said:

'The club is for sale to the right person' what a caring man, looking after the well being of oafc. Been fed that one too many times I am afraid. It's crap and the sooner fans agree are united in agreement (which we must be getting close to) the better.

Hear hear!!!

The mask is slipping to more and more....i think most people with the ability to read between the lines realized a LONG time ago corney was taking the club absolutely nowhere.

14 minutes ago, Andy-latic said:

All these ridiculous rumours flying round, is anyone else of the opinion that we have simply just had a shit start in footballing terms, genuinely got 8 injuries and there's nothing too sinister or bat shit crazy going on....

I'd be inclined to agree - but not after Corney's little update. 

Why can't we have a normal season for once with 0 unrest this should of been the year we had we Shez back a full settled squad to start with, and a bit of stability  now the rumours of unrest amongst the squad and Shez could be on his way after intrest from new owners, every year we have to put up with something else, it's no wonder a lot of people have walked away from it, it's something new every single season 

37 minutes ago, Markspark92 said:

Why can't we have a normal season for once with 0 unrest this should of been the year we had we Shez back a full settled squad to start with, and a bit of stability  now the rumours of unrest amongst the squad and Shez could be on his way after intrest from new owners, every year we have to put up with something else, it's no wonder a lot of people have walked away from it, it's something new every single season 

We're probably the most dramatic northern soap opera, world's best script writers evidently - but unfortunately don't get the TV time and money as certain other soaps...

If nothing else, Corney's injection of such uncertainty with the interview was disgraceful. To suggest that a takeover/investment was on the cards, at a time when his manager and playing staff are under such pressure, is pretty low. The impact on non-playing staff at the club, who presumably earn peanuts can only be imagined. At the very least he should have kept his trap shut until the deal was done. Actually, like Stevie J, I'm inclined to think the takeover talk is hot air.

As for Rigsby, who since Saturday has gone from "hearing club has been sold" (Blackpool thread) to "this club better be sold or......" words fail me. Perhaps you and Corney could put in a joint bid for Bullshitters of the Year? In fact are you one and the same?

30 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

If nothing else, Corney's injection of such uncertainty with the interview was disgraceful. To suggest that a takeover/investment was on the cards, at a time when his manager and playing staff are under such pressure, is pretty low. The impact on non-playing staff at the club, who presumably earn peanuts can only be imagined. At the very least he should have kept his trap shut until the deal was done. Actually, like Stevie J, I'm inclined to think the takeover talk is hot air.

As for Rigsby, who since Saturday has gone from "hearing club has been sold" (Blackpool thread) to "this club better be sold or......" words fail me. Perhaps you and Corney could put in a joint bid for Bullshitters of the Year? In fact are you one and the same?

I did hear from someone who is usually spot on about the sale of the club, now im not so sure.

Either way i am certainly NOT  one of the 'i love simon corney' lemmings, im suspcious of anything the bloke says.

Don't get me wrong I love Oldham, I have been a massive fan since I was 7 years old, I genuinely thought it was going to be a no drama, steady season. But fucking hell its happend again, I've had enough of it and until stability is found off the pitch, I can't justify travelling 5 hour round trip to go to the games. It's a shame because OAFC is a massive part of my life, but every year this off field drama and  badly run business is sapping it away. Pissed off at it all, just one fucking normal steady season is all I hoped for this year. 

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

Don't get me wrong I love Oldham, I have been a massive fan since I was 7 years old, I genuinely thought it was going to be a no drama, steady season. But fucking hell its happend again, I've had enough of it and until stability is found off the pitch, I can't justify travelling 5 hour round trip to go to the games. It's a shame because OAFC is a massive part of my life, but every year this off field drama and  badly run business is sapping it away. Pissed off at it all, just one fucking normal steady season is all I hoped for this year. 

Yes i think many would echo those thoughts.

The sooner corney realises the fans have had enough the better.

I think he is just proving all the sceptics absolutely right with this latest carry on.

Alan Nixon Replying to @Tommy_Bostock

Anything possible right now. Top Cat could be coming not Ten Cate.

Some odd happenings. Club in real trouble here.

Seems to me that yer man Abdallah is not going to be the saviour after all.

Extremely worrying after the whole  ''Some of the fantasists who try to buy football clubs ?'' Tweet from Nixon
Administration? Has Corney leaned on the prospect of Abdullah too much and it appears to have fallen? Nothing a good CLUB STATEMENT can't solve...
Shame the club is obsessed with secrecy 

47 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Anything possible right now. Top Cat could be coming not Ten Cate.

Some odd happenings. Club in real trouble here.

Seems to me that yer man Abdallah is not going to be the saviour after all.

Extremely worrying after the whole  ''Some of the fantasists who try to buy football clubs ?'' Tweet from Nixon
Administration? Has Corney leaned on the prospect of Abdullah too much and it appears to have fallen? Nothing a good CLUB STATEMENT can't solve...
Shame the club is obsessed with secrecy 

Simon likes the smokes and mirrors approach.I actually saw a bloke with specs the other week with a simon corney t shirt...does he not realise how utterly cringeworthy he looks i pondered.

Then again i suppose there are gullable people everywhere...that freak in india has 60 million followers worldwide..the MSG bloke..dear me.

Nixon seems to suggest the deal may be off, don't know how he knows and it could be complete bollocks but he has nothing to gain from spreading unsubstantiated rumours....I really fear that if this investment/takeover fails to materialise we may not even be able to fulfill our fixtures.

If another deal has collapsed at the 'due dilligence' stage it surely must be down to  the demands of the 2 Amigo's or related to the OEC.

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Nixon seems to suggest the deal may be off, don't know how he knows and it could be complete bollocks but he has nothing to gain from spreading unsubstantiated rumours....I really fear that if this investment/takeover fails to materialise we may not even be able to fulfill our fixtures.

If another deal has collapsed at the 'due dilligence' stage it surely must be down to  the demands of the 2 Amigo's or related to the OEC.

NAIL ON HEAD!!

Im thinking corney and his mates are  playing us all for utter idiots.

Wonder if in years to come TTA are held in the same esteem as mr moore..

We've been had haven't we.

vulnerable town puts faith in capitalism to look after one of its prized assets. Not a happy ending. 

Played a good game corney and co whilst it's lasted but I think the penny may just have dropped for most. A video won't cut it this time.

9 minutes ago, Andy b said:

We've been had haven't we.

vulnerable town puts faith in capitalism to look after one of its prized assets. Not a happy ending. 

Played a good game corney and co whilst it's lasted but I think the penny may just have dropped for most. A video won't cut it this time.

Not sure this is a time for I told you sos.

Archived