Takeover / New Investment - What Rumours Have You Heard?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, PatchLatics said:

Statement from Trust Oldham in today's @OldhamChronicle regarding the ongoing mystery over the potential investor. #oafc

From Matt Chambers on Twitter.

Surely the Trust should publish this to us before the Chron?

Someone from the Trust provided an update on here last night, which was baicallly 'we've not been told anything by the club about the potential new investment'. I doubt much has changed between last night and the Chron's print deadline this morning.

Nothing wrong with getting their message out to a wider audience via the Chron.

32 minutes ago, Andy b said:

there is currently no such investor is there.  I am sure we are being played 

As Lee Sinnot says, surely he would not be that stupid.
I'm 75% excpecting it to fail, based on history, it's is a very risky game to play without it signed on the dotted line.

43 minutes ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

By us do you mean the small percentage of OAFC fans who hang around on OWTB? I think the Chron's audience is slightly larger for getting a suitable message out.

There are not that many more people read the Chron!!

It has a circulation now around 9,000.

Virtually all local newspaper circulation has plummetted.

2 minutes ago, ChaddySmoker said:

What about all the people who read it free online? Stop being so naive.

And then shared on Twitter, Facebook etc. People are more likely to read it on there as opposed to publishing it on the Trust website. 

Has Corney been played?

AL in talks with Corney about possible investment into the football club. AL brings in trialists (which we are yet to sign but Placide seems to be done.) The deal then seems to be falling apart, but we may be left with no other option than signing AL's mystery trialists at the last minute.

Too speculative? Over-thinking? Probably.

I accept that the long term impact of TTA has been the slow decline of our club but we are still in league 1 and we did welcome them in.

Unfortunately the statement last week by Corney might in retrospect be seen as a tipping point because it revealed once again how poorly run this club is now.  No doubt he felt he had to say something because of the impact the embargo was having and went one step further by indicating that the right sort of person was in the final stages of investing/buying (who knows what now).

We live on hope and that is what he offered.  Problem is it will only make matters worse if he doesn't deliver.

For those who remember the dark days of 2003.

This situation reminds me of another (former) football agent, Vidar Fossdal, and his mystery Norwegian consortium. They were, for a short time, our big hope of a takeover and survival in the summer of 2003.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/o/oldham_athletic/3075367.stm  

18 minutes ago, bozman said:

The statement is on the trust website now:

http://trustoldham.co.uk/trust-statement-regarding-investor-talk/

This shows, to me, that the trust has been rendered useless for the moment. Thats more than likely through no fault of their own and highlights how poor the relationship with corney must be. 

Id be happy for corney to sell to anybody now regardless of whether he thinks they're good for us or not. The way he's run the club i cant understand how he can claim to not want to hand it over to someone who doesnt have our best interest. 

10 minutes ago, OAFCinWolves said:

Mr Lee is looking at Barsnley now, so he was looking for a club and we must of blew that one

I think that's a different Mr Lee. Chien Lee, whose consortium also own Nice.

3 minutes ago, Fruitygoo said:

This shows, to me, that the trust has been rendered useless for the moment. Thats more than likely through no fault of their own and highlights how poor the relationship with corney must be. 

Id be happy for corney to sell to anybody now regardless of whether he thinks they're good for us or not. The way he's run the club i cant understand how he can claim to not want to hand it over to someone who doesnt have our best interest. 

It's not though. We have legal rights with the way the 3% is set up. We also work hard on other avenues of protecting the club for the fans (ACV etc.). 

45 minutes ago, ChaddySmoker said:

What about all the people who read it free online? Stop being so naive.

:rolleyes:

It's actual average is approx 10,000 visits per day.

OWTB is approx 1,000 per day.

Sanctimony level on max.

You are making incorrect assumptions from an aside comment.

35 minutes ago, Latics_Fanatic said:

Has Corney been played?

AL in talks with Corney about possible investment into the football club. AL brings in trialists (which we are yet to sign but Placide seems to be done.) The deal then seems to be falling apart,

It's no more "falling apart" than it was ever definitely happening.

Nothing has changed and we know absolutely nothing more, or less, since Corney's interview....

8 minutes ago, singe said:

:rolleyes:

It's actual average is approx 10,000 visits per day.

OWTB is approx 1,000 per day.

Sanctimony level on max.

You are making incorrect assumptions from an aside comment.

So in which world does 9000 plus 10000 not exceed 1000?

How is an aside comment distinguished from a comment?

20 minutes ago, Hands on said:

I accept that the long term impact of TTA has been the slow decline of our club but we are still in league 1 and we did welcome them in.

Unfortunately the statement last week by Corney might in retrospect be seen as a tipping point because it revealed once again how poorly run this club is now.  No doubt he felt he had to say something because of the impact the embargo was having and went one step further by indicating that the right sort of person was in the final stages of investing/buying (who knows what now).

We live on hope and that is what he offered.  Problem is it will only make matters worse if he doesn't deliver.

Why? Matters would be exactly the same wouldn't they? 

I don't get this perceived wisdom (on here & Twitter) that the long running shitshow will become an even worse shitshow just because this investment doesn't come off. 

4 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

It's not though. We have legal rights with the way the 3% is set up. We also work hard on other avenues of protecting the club for the fans (ACV etc.). 

I'm not a member of the Trust but it seems to me that they're doing all they can to protect the greater interests of the club. The reason why they're being frozen out by Corney is because they're asking difficult questions behind the scenes. If Bazzer was still in charge this wouldn't be happening and Corney would be able to get away with anything he wanted. It must be really difficult for the Trust to balance how they deal with the way Corney goes about his business. The Trust shouldn't be getting any grief for any of this, it's as usual all down to Corney and the terrible way he runs the club. It seems to me the Trust are in a difficult position and are doing all they can to get the truth to the fans. 

19 minutes ago, Fruitygoo said:

This shows, to me, that the trust has been rendered useless for the moment.  

Maybe your (& many others) expectation of what they can achieve with their token 3% is unrealistic. 

It's akin to when people were up in arms about the Lib Dems not scrapping tuition fees through their position as very junior partners in a coalition. 

They chipped away, got a few concessions here & there and provided a bit more accountability than there would have been without them. 

That's how I see the Trust. 

Archived