Takeover / New Investment - What Rumours Have You Heard?

16 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Monty - you got nothing better to do?

Situations change as things develop, you know - it's called changing tack.

My fluid position is no different, for example, than the Trust (as above) stating that they had concerns about our owner right from the off (and alerted the EFL), to later telling us his ownership was a welcome and refreshing change, to then start cranking up the pressure on him as they have done recently.

I just thought a formal, short letter to the EFL expressing Latics' fans concerns at the situation we find ourselves in just might help someone, somewhere in the future - you know, the football family and all that. No worries, it was only a thought.

The Trust have said they are in contact with the EFL already! 

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jorvik_latic said:

Sorry Jorvik we haven't contact them directly yet.  supporters direct are advising the Trust.

Not saying we wouldn't be on their radar anyway with regards to newspaper articles and failure to hold 3 fans meetings per season

Cheers

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

My fluid position is no different, for example, than the Trust (as above) stating that they had concerns about our owner right from the off (and alerted the EFL), to later telling us his ownership was a welcome and refreshing change, to then start cranking up the pressure on him as they have done recently.

I just thought a formal, short letter to the EFL expressing Latics' fans concerns at the situation we find ourselves in just might help someone, somewhere in the future - you know, the football family and all that. No worries, it was only a thought.

1 hour ago, jorvik_latic said:

I wrote to the EFL last year with my concerns about governance. In short they don't want to know. They are impotent and clueless.

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

Exactly, Marco declared his role as a football agent and relinquished his interest in his company to be eligible to buy us. 

While his dealings as detailed in the article (considering the less stringent libel laws in France) are immoral, there's no serious allegation of illegality. He's a former football agent a profession not known for being very moral. But that's in the past and he can presumably highlight that his shares in the business have been relinquished. 

Football is corrupt, and the EFL's test of ownership isn't worth the paper it's printed on. However, any fan of a number of EFL clubs know this, as well as wider knowledge throughout the football fan base. 

Leeds current owner has two convictions related to financial malpractice. He is still allowed to own Leeds. If the EFL had stopped Marco from owning us, even after he stopped being a football agent, he would have had a very strong case of racial discrimination. 

Our owner isn't the first owner of a football club with a history of dodgy (although not illegal) business activities, he won't be the last. 

We are currently in the unfortunate position of being one of the (many) football clubs with a dodgy owner. If the EFL's test of ownership was worthwhile I doubt Marco would have been our only owner to struggle to meet the requirements. 

The one positive thing I can say about AL is that it's good fun calling him Marco. 

If the EFL administered ownership rules and regulations stringently the pyramid would be in serious danger of collapsing. 

Meanwhile, many clubs (ours included) are in danger of collapsing anyway from underfunding simply because the majority of clubs are unfudable anyway. Gambling irrationally on success when that is mathematically doomed to failure. 

I still can’t identify a logical  reason for AL to be involved in Oldham Athletic for our benefit. There is however evidence of foreign players, unknown to our UK coaching staff turning up at our club cringingly obvious not fit for purpose. 

When the facts change I will feel a lot better. 

7 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Plenty, thanks 👍🏻

We are, by now, well aware of your propensity for changing tack (and username, or indeed ‘tack’ swinging thru 180 degrees). No need to tell us as such.

🙄.

10 hours ago, mikeroyboy said:

If the EFL administered ownership rules and regulations stringently the pyramid would be in serious danger of collapsing. 

Meanwhile, many clubs (ours included) are in danger of collapsing anyway from underfunding simply because the majority of clubs are unfudable anyway. Gambling irrationally on success when that is mathematically doomed to failure. 

I still can’t identify a logical  reason for AL to be involved in Oldham Athletic for our benefit. There is however evidence of foreign players, unknown to our UK coaching staff turning up at our club cringingly obvious not fit for purpose. 

When the facts change I will feel a lot better. 

If the EFL did not enforce their own regulations on club ownership that would a sorry state of affairs and show an organisation not fit for purpose.

Perhaps it isn't and a shake up of their hierarchy  is neeed?

Then again pigs might fly.

22 hours ago, ghostofcecere said:

Can you do a better translation than the ones done via Google translate Dan?? (I think we all get the jist but...)

Hi mate - sorry not had time, but having read it quickly yesterday there wasn't much new in there for me other than his nickname!  The fact a publication like France Football saw fit to publish a fairly in depth piece on the owner of Oldham Athletic is interesting though.

Good luck to all those trying to hold the owner to account and to encourage improved management of the club.

50 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

If the EFL did not enforce their own regulations on club ownership that would a sorry state of affairs and show an organisation not fit for purpose.

Perhaps it isn't and a shake up of their hierarchy  is neeed?

Then again pigs might fly.

I’m not sure a shake up of the EFL would do the trick. Would it improve or facilitate its ability to gain access to the deeply hidden roots of cross continent finance trails that have embedded themselves into the game over the last few decades?

Can it really be that these people’s sole interest is improving the lot of football fans up and down the country? 

The problem with the fit and proper person test is that its asking you to predict the future? Its very hard to predict what an owner of a football club is going to do with it. Both Chris Moore and TTA would have sailed passed it. The owner at Leeds in theory should fail it but he appears to be guiding them back to the premier league. If you put to stricter guidlines on who can own a football club then you deter people from buying one who might be good for that club.

In short I'm not sure their is an easy way to stop owners coming in and messing up a football club. It appears to be a lottery. 

2 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

The problem with the fit and proper person test is that its asking you to predict the future? Its very hard to predict what an owner of a football club is going to do with it. Both Chris Moore and TTA would have sailed passed it. The owner at Leeds in theory should fail it but he appears to be guiding them back to the premier league. If you put to stricter guidlines on who can own a football club then you deter people from buying one who might be good for that club.

In short I'm not sure their is an easy way to stop owners coming in and messing up a football club. It appears to be a lottery. 

Asolutely, the Directors and Owners test is not a future sanity check - the bloke at Orient perhaps being the best example.  Unless you are actually a genuine, fully fledged crook the fact that you are in a position to buy a football club suggestss that you have probably demonstrated some sort of competence in business in  the past

4 hours ago, lalalajpkalala said:

Hi mate - sorry not had time, but having read it quickly yesterday there wasn't much new in there for me other than his nickname!  The fact a publication like France Football saw fit to publish a fairly in depth piece on the owner of Oldham Athletic is interesting though.

Good luck to all those trying to hold the owner to account and to encourage improved management of the club.

Why has been mulling on my mind, something that lookerstandandy said about hardly anyone from Nantes commenting, maybe it was a fluff peice put out by their saide to detract from their wondership issues?

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Asolutely, the Directors and Owners test is not a future sanity check - the bloke at Orient perhaps being the best example.  Unless you are actually a genuine, fully fledged crook the fact that you are in a position to buy a football club suggestss that you have probably demonstrated some sort of competence in business in  the past

Excellent points, I suppose the main improvement would be sanctions as thing progressivley deteriorate or pass certin indicators. Clearly that would be need to be investigate but things liek late payment of wages, HMRC, transfer fees are probably common symptoms.

24 minutes ago, singe said:

Why has been mulling on my mind, something that lookerstandandy said about hardly anyone from Nantes commenting, maybe it was a fluff peice put out by their saide to detract from their wondership issues?

Thats how it looks to me. 

30 minutes ago, singe said:

5 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Thats how it looks to me. 

Mmmm..... that shouldn't detract from the circus he's been running though. I was calling for a Plan [and I was right to be] in May 2018 - after we'd been relegated..... at this moment, I merely want him to accept he can't carry on as he has been.... and then open up a respectful and regular dialogue with the Trust, such that we [via the Trust] can gain confidence in his governance.... leading to the creation of a Plan we can all unite behind - even if we don't all agree with it. If he doesn't do this.... then I'm spending less with OAFC 2004 Ltd.

16 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Mmmm..... that shouldn't detract from the circus he's been running though. I was calling for a Plan [and I was right to be] in May 2018 - after we'd been relegated..... at this moment, I merely want him to accept he can't carry on as he has been.... and then open up a respectful and regular dialogue with the Trust, such that we [via the Trust] can gain confidence in his governance.... leading to the creation of a Plan we can all unite behind - even if we don't all agree with it. If he doesn't do this.... then I'm spending less with OAFC 2004 Ltd.

Abolutely, a light shuld still be shone. i was thinking more that would help us piece together the jigsaw or aide us resolving things one way or the other. So far, no signs of note about positives.

32 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Thats fair. 

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Still waiting to hear what you wanted me to do when I didn't know what was in the article @TheBigDog...

I (mis) read your original post to say that you had some info but couldn't divulge it. It doesn't mention any article. 

As a general point it's irritating when people post they've got some insider info which they don't then share. 

4 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Still waiting to hear what you wanted me to do when I didn't know what was in the article @TheBigDog...

2 hours ago, Magic Mikey said:

I (mis) read your original post to say that you had some info but couldn't divulge it. It doesn't mention any article. 

As a general point it's irritating when people post they've got some insider info which they don't then share. 

I refer you to Magic Mikey’s second Sentence above.

Archived