opinions4u

Takeover / New Investment - What Rumours Have You Heard?

4 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

Sounds familiar.  

I was just reading about this £350m purchase of Newcastle by billionaire Sheikh Khaled who happens to be cousin of Sheikh Mansour at City.  

It got me thinking; what if the Sheikh bought OAFC or another L1 or L2 club instead?  Allowing a 10 year plan (or sooner), what is the probability of securing Premier 

League football if that same £350m was set aside for the project.

Take our club.  I would estimate a £50m budget could secure the club, land, develop the stadium and realistically strengthen the team to guarantee promotion to L1 and Championship within 5 years.  That gives 5 years & £300m to secure promotion to Premier League and allowance to extend the stadium further to house increased attendances.  

I know acquiring Newcastle gives you instant Premier League football but would that £350m appreciate in value without significant investment to break into that Top 6?   Granted you’ve bought SJP but the value of the stadium and land reflects the purchase price hence BP being about 2-3% of the £350m, which gives you mass wealth to strengthen the team.  You’ve also got their 38,000 STs sold annually and I know it’ll be near impossible to achieve 50% of this even with Prem football but I’m confident you could hook thousands through attractive ST pricing and effective marketing during the journey.

Its probably rise-tinted glasses and me being an OAFC fan but achieving success between 5 and 10 years up the pyramid appeals much more than lower table Premier League existence.  Is it unfeasible to attract a Sheikh to take the risk?  It doesn’t guarantee Premier League football but I think it’s much easier getting into the Prem with £350m to build than getting into that Top 6 of the Prem after spending £350m just to get Prem membership.

It would be a lot more fun for all involved, very unlikely tho

4 minutes ago, latics22 said:

It would be a lot more fun for all involved, very unlikely tho

Granted extremely unlikely.  However we’re talking individuals with unimaginable wealth who love football, love taking a risk for success and, even more so, love attention.  The sums needed to get us into the Championship would be less than what’s fallen down the back of their chaise lounge.  

The PR from acquiring OAFC and taking us to the Prem would be more significant than buying Newcastle.  Would secure you a better financial return too I reckon.

Lemsagam could never deliver this - well never on his own - so this should be our focus alongside buying the stadium and land.  Secure him a buyer so we’re not just a sustainable L2 club in 5 years but we’re back battling in the Championship.

I know they’re not queuing at the door but package us, our history, our achievement in the 90s and network.  If pushed I’m certain Lemsagam would love to offload us and get some or most of his savings back.

1 hour ago, Midsblue said:

Sounds familiar.  

I was just reading about this £350m purchase of Newcastle by billionaire Sheikh Khaled who happens to be cousin of Sheikh Mansour at City.  

It got me thinking; what if the Sheikh bought OAFC or another L1 or L2 club instead?  Allowing a 10 year plan (or sooner), what is the probability of securing Premier 

League football if that same £350m was set aside for the project.

Take our club.  I would estimate a £50m budget could secure the club, land, develop the stadium and realistically strengthen the team to guarantee promotion to L1 and Championship within 5 years.  That gives 5 years & £300m to secure promotion to Premier League and allowance to extend the stadium further to house increased attendances.  

I know acquiring Newcastle gives you instant Premier League football but would that £350m appreciate in value without significant investment to break into that Top 6?   Granted you’ve bought SJP but the value of the stadium and land reflects the purchase price hence BP being about 2-3% of the £350m, which gives you mass wealth to strengthen the team.  You’ve also got their 38,000 STs sold annually and I know it’ll be near impossible to achieve 50% of this even with Prem football but I’m confident you could hook thousands through attractive ST pricing and effective marketing during the journey.

Its probably rise-tinted glasses and me being an OAFC fan but achieving success between 5 and 10 years up the pyramid appeals much more than lower table Premier League existence.  Is it unfeasible to attract a Sheikh to take the risk?  It doesn’t guarantee Premier League football but I think it’s much easier getting into the Prem with £350m to build than getting into that Top 6 of the Prem after spending £350m just to get Prem membership.

Basically, do what Bournemouth did?

2 hours ago, Midsblue said:

The PR from acquiring OAFC and taking us to the Prem would be more significant than buying Newcastle.  Would secure you a better financial return too I reckon.

Not a chance. A few newspaper headlines and features on MOTD etc perhaps. Oldham better known than Newcastle as a place not a football team-no chance. Better financial return-pie in the sky. 38,000 season tickets holders plus POTD's turn up and they haven't had a sniff of a cup or Prem Lge title for years.

You cannot even class us as a sleeping giant given the attendances we would be likely to get. A better comparison would be Fulham, Bournemouth  or Burnley.

If you were going to throw money at a club you'd want either a significant fanbase or an absence of local competition.  Oh well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rvlatic said:

Just what I was thinking...

Very much fall into the no local competition category.

Plus, when they were in league two, weren’t both Southampton and Portsmouth making FA Cup finals and being in the Prem? Cba to check.

Bournemouth holds 11,464.  Southampton is 33 miles away and Portsmouth 58.  That's minimal local competition; I'd imagine there are more United fans in Bournemouth than there are Southampton.  For a long term owner who wants to build something for the future that's about as ideal a scenario as there can be. About as far as from the situation in the North West as it is possible to get.

Don’t see why local competition matters if you only need 10 000 people to turn up to premier league matches.

6 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Guy from Eden Creative very outspoken about him on Twitter...

About who?

30 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Absolutely disgraceful if true (I have no reason to disbelieve it).

28 minutes ago, ncookie9 said:

Absolutely disgraceful if true (I have no reason to disbelieve it).

Said what? 

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Which guy? I've searched Eden Creative and can't see anything

26 minutes ago, josh_latics said:

Thread here: 

https://twitter.com/RicPD/status/1138851443333636096

The sooner Abdallah fucks off the better, the charlatan. 

Indeed. So f**king depressing. 

The really bad part is, even if someone offered to give him his money back I genuinely don’t think he’d take it. I think he’s in it mainly for the ego.

Unless someone offered him silly money, or we got down to the last 1000 fans he ain’t going anywhere IMO. 

I think the above Twitter feed deserves repeating:

David Broadbent‏ @Broadystar

Replying to @EdenCreativeUK @RicPD

Congrats on the move! How come you’ve moved out of #oafc though?!

5:39 PM - 12 Jun 2019

Ric Dennis‏ @RicPD 

Replying to @Broadystar @EdenCreativeUK

Simple reason! AL! Full to capacity at Eden at the moment, struggled to do the programme for the 2nd half of the season due to the amount of work a 64 page programme takes - all was done for free for the club along with the rest of the design work and running of the boards......told AL I simple couldn’t afford to do it for free anymore and suggested they use the printers to do the artwork - AL didn’t like it so “evicted” Eden from the office at the club along with the services. Over 10 years of work for nothing and that’s how AL treats people......he’s not very nice man! the sad thing is I personally did a lot more for the club than he knew! Funny thing is - from the people that have left/been forced out, they can’t all be wrong but he keeps defending his actions...Saw and heard a lot whilst in there...not good at all!

That’s the thing - everyone says the same - can’t all be wrong! Some of the stuff the goes on is dodgey! Feel so sorry for the full time staff there!

Edited by LaticMark

10 hours ago, LaticMark said:

I think the above Twitter feed deserves repeating:

David Broadbent‏ @Broadystar

Replying to @EdenCreativeUK @RicPD

Congrats on the move! How come you’ve moved out of #oafc though?!

5:39 PM - 12 Jun 2019

Ric Dennis‏ @RicPD 

Replying to @Broadystar @EdenCreativeUK

Simple reason! AL! Full to capacity at Eden at the moment, struggled to do the programme for the 2nd half of the season due to the amount of work a 64 page programme takes - all was done for free for the club along with the rest of the design work and running of the boards......told AL I simple couldn’t afford to do it for free anymore and suggested they use the printers to do the artwork - AL didn’t like it so “evicted” Eden from the office at the club along with the services. Over 10 years of work for nothing and that’s how AL treats people......he’s not very nice man! the sad thing is I personally did a lot more for the club than he knew! Funny thing is - from the people that have left/been forced out, they can’t all be wrong but he keeps defending his actions...Saw and heard a lot whilst in there...not good at all!

That’s the thing - everyone says the same - can’t all be wrong! Some of the stuff the goes on is dodgey! Feel so sorry for the full time staff there!

I read things like this and weep. The club is an absolute fucking shambles from top to bottom.

How a former trust chairman and lifelong fan like Barry Owen, on the board in a so called advisory capacity, can be happy sitting through all this shit is beyond comprehension!

I really can’t raise the enthusiasm to visit BP anytime soon....I’ve seen and heard just as much as I can take.....this is no longer the club I’ve been supporting since 1960.

Abdallah out!!!!!

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Jimbooth said:

How did AL evict them when he doesn't own the ground? 

They sublet from him.