Takeover / New Investment - What Rumours Have You Heard?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Is this for Permanent signings or loan ones?

It was a loan move. He’s a right back also so not sure what that means for Hamer. 

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Shit agent then. Could have made a fair wedge on a signing on bonus. Should have asked how much.

Also I doubt the agent said no without asking his client first 

I can assure you that he said no without asking his client. 

3 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Maybe Hamer will be used at CB.

As I said, shit agent

Potentially.

Right I am failing to see how having your clients best interest at heart rather than money makes you a shit agent. Each to their own 

26 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Potentially.

Right I am failing to see how having your clients best interest at heart rather than money makes you a shit agent. Each to their own 

I don’t think stopping his client moving to Latics is working against his client in the slightest.

7 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Yet they were loaning us players when everyone knew what AL was like

Let's see who we get in this season then before you start your relentless defence of another useless self absorbed owner.

10 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

It was a loan move. He’s a right back also so not sure what that means for Hamer. 

How does he know we came in for him then? 

11 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

There's another player too who has been told of Latics' interest and told his agent to say nope straight away. I thought you were on about the same player at first, but this guy is a striker and has been mentioned on this board before...

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

There's another player too who has been told of Latics' interest and told his agent to say nope straight away. I thought you were on about the same player at first, but this guy is a striker and has been mentioned on this board before...

Interesting. If the owners reputation is influencing loan moves surely permanent deals are even more influenced.   

This always gets me when people say about players who are unattached won’t come to Oldham due to knowing what the owner is like.

Undoubtedly, he doesn’t come with the best reputation, far from it but working within a football environment and liaising with agents myself on a daily basis, unattached footballers especially at League One and Two level are worried and understandably so. The reason for this is, football is a short career, they have been released or are free agents for one reason or another and like the massive pool of fellow unattached players need a job (that’s what it is to them, I know some find it hard to appreciate) and as such the prospect of Oldham Athletic, a professional football club will always be an option to them that they will consider very seriously.

I spoke to an agent last week who’s client was unattached having been released by a club in League One. During that conversation it was clear that Oldham would be an option he would consider. The reason? Rather baffling! Oldham since January are 1 of just 11 clubs of last season’s League Two sides who paid their players late less than twice. How sad when you think about it. Another player’s agent who I spoke to was that of a player at Bury, he is currently contracted however, he had not been paid by the club for 3 months, another player released by a Championship club suggested that Oldham would be a decent club to play for on the basis of their “away support” so there are plenty of players out there who would be willing to listen to offers.

The issue with the reputation of our owner becomes when negotiating deals with him. He, apparently, is not an easy man to negotiate with and as such supply and demand is quite differential.

Loanees from Premiership/Championship sides understandably have a choice and it would be believable for them to not even entertain Latics on the base of rumours etc. That said, a few may look at the progress loanees at Oldham made last year. Surridge ended up having his loan cut short in order to get him involved with the first team (albeit very little) at Bournemouth. Lang had a good season and has benefitted substantially from his loan move. Daniel Iversen’s loan move was successful and I’m sure he will go on to have a good career in professional football in England. Jordan Lyden was riddled with injuries unfortunately but Alex Iacovitti has earned himself a two year deal by impressing on loan (however it had previously been rumoured that he had signed prior to the loan commencing)

As such, I don’t think Oldham would be cast aside when being an option to unattached players or loan players. The issue will be demands from players/agents and what AL would be willing to offer and also the relationship of parent clubs of potential loan players.

Additionally, to give you an example of young player demands, a League Two club we deal with (not Oldham) where I work, placed an offer of £1,500 per week to a youth team player who had been released from a Premiership club. He was previously on £6,500 per week at said club and despite not playing a game of professional football demanded £4,000 per week from the League Two club.

Another issue lower league teams face when entering negotiations with players who are released by top tier clubs.

30 minutes ago, unsworthlatic said:

This always gets me when people say about players who are unattached won’t come to Oldham due to knowing what the owner is like.

Undoubtedly, he doesn’t come with the best reputation, far from it but working within a football environment and liaising with agents myself on a daily basis, unattached footballers especially at League One and Two level are worried and understandably so. The reason for this is, football is a short career, they have been released or are free agents for one reason or another and like the massive pool of fellow unattached players need a job (that’s what it is to them, I know some find it hard to appreciate) and as such the prospect of Oldham Athletic, a professional football club will always be an option to them that they will consider very seriously.

I spoke to an agent last week who’s client was unattached having been released by a club in League One. During that conversation it was clear that Oldham would be an option he would consider. The reason? Rather baffling! Oldham since January are 1 of just 11 clubs of last season’s League Two sides who paid their players late less than twice. How sad when you think about it. Another player’s agent who I spoke to was that of a player at Bury, he is currently contracted however, he had not been paid by the club for 3 months, another player released by a Championship club suggested that Oldham would be a decent club to play for on the basis of their “away support” so there are plenty of players out there who would be willing to listen to offers.

The issue with the reputation of our owner becomes when negotiating deals with him. He, apparently, is not an easy man to negotiate with and as such supply and demand is quite differential.

Loanees from Premiership/Championship sides understandably have a choice and it would be believable for them to not even entertain Latics on the base of rumours etc. That said, a few may look at the progress loanees at Oldham made last year. Surridge ended up having his loan cut short in order to get him involved with the first team (albeit very little) at Bournemouth. Lang had a good season and has benefitted substantially from his loan move. Daniel Iversen’s loan move was successful and I’m sure he will go on to have a good career in professional football in England. Jordan Lyden was riddled with injuries unfortunately but Alex Iacovitti has earned himself a two year deal by impressing on loan (however it had previously been rumoured that he had signed prior to the loan commencing)

As such, I don’t think Oldham would be cast aside when being an option to unattached players or loan players. The issue will be demands from players/agents and what AL would be willing to offer and also the relationship of parent clubs of potential loan players.

Additionally, to give you an example of young player demands, a League Two club we deal with (not Oldham) where I work, placed an offer of £1,500 per week to a youth team player who had been released from a Premiership club. He was previously on £6,500 per week at said club and despite not playing a game of professional football demanded £4,000 per week from the League Two club.

Another issue lower league teams face when entering negotiations with players who are released by top tier clubs.

This is an absolutely brilliant post to be fair and you make some excellent points.

Any player out of contract should find themselves fortunate to be offered a contract by ANY professional club, be it Oldham or anyone else, as it means they continue the career they ubdoubtably love.

Have to disagree with one small point though, I was far from "impressed" with Iacovitti's loan, I thought he was absolutely shocking when he was here and found it baffling we offered him a 2 year contract to sign full time. Each to their own however.

Still, excellent post

8 minutes ago, JTM said:

Have to disagree with one small point though, I was far from "impressed" with Iacovitti's loan

I felt he was adequate at this level at left back albeit required a lot of help and coaching throughout the game by Clarke. He won't have that next season so sink or swim time really!

What I meant by impressing, wasn't necessarily myself but more so the club. His loan to other players would be seen as successful as he has a 2 year deal off the back of it.

11 minutes ago, JTM said:

This is an absolutely brilliant post to be fair and you make some excellent points.

Any player out of contract should find themselves fortunate to be offered a contract by ANY professional club, be it Oldham or anyone else, as it means they continue the career they ubdoubtably love.

Have to disagree with one small point though, I was far from "impressed" with Iacovitti's loan, I thought he was absolutely shocking when he was here and found it baffling we offered him a 2 year contract to sign full time. Each to their own however.

Still, excellent post

Correct, the other option for players released is find a job and go part time non league.

Many I think would prefer a crack at League 2 football, even with us.

Also many in non league would jump at the chance to step up if offered a decent contract.

6 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

The managerial appointment will be a hindrance rather than a help IMO...

If the rumour (no reason to believe otherwise) is true that he cannot speak English this potentially will be a stumbling block.

I do believe most of (if not all) our signings will be from French/Moroccan contacts rather than domestic, unattached players. That said, as alluded to in previous post, domestic players will listen to offers due to Latics being a professional league club as well as good proximity to the city of Manchester.

I do fear however, that your point may be correct

1 hour ago, unsworthlatic said:

Decent post and a lot of it makes sense, but the reality is that due to the reasons mentioned (owner's reputation of treating employees etc etc.) if we are up against other League Two teams, more often than not we aren't going to be first choice for the player and will miss out on our targets.

Result of that means we'll likely end up with the dregs.

Unfortunately for us, players and agents talk to each other and news will travel fast about what's been going on here for the last couple of years.

Archived