Takeover / New Investment - What Rumours Have You Heard?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some insightful posts Unsworth thanks for you're input

A little bit concerning that we are one of only 11 clubs who have paid their players late less than twice in the 2nd half of the season especially when you consider we had a substantial amount of unbudgeted income in the 2nd half of the seaosn.   

7 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Some insightful posts Unsworth thanks for you're input

A little bit concerning that we are one of only 11 clubs who have paid their players late less than twice in the 2nd half of the season especially when you consider we had a substantial amount of unbudgeted income in the 2nd half of the seaosn.   

Sorry, I should have made the point more clear. Oldham paid their players late once from January to May (unsure about June) which was by 3 days. Only ourselves and 10 other clubs either paid players on time or missed payments once during that 5 month period. The other clubs, I am led to believe (I know personally of 7 clubs) paid their players and/or staff late on two or more occasions during that 5 month period. 

Just shows how lower league teams are struggling to meet the demands of players/agents and running costs of being a League One/Two club.

1 minute ago, unsworthlatic said:

Sorry, I should have made the point more clear. Oldham paid their players late once from January to May (unsure about June) which was by 3 days. Only ourselves and 10 other clubs either paid players on time or missed payments once during that 5 month period. The other clubs, I am led to believe (I know personally of 7 clubs) paid their players and/or staff late on two or more occasions during that 5 month period. 

Just shows how lower league teams are struggling to meet the demands of players/agents and running costs of being a League One/Two club.

It does and it also shows that clubs need to only spend what they can afford because if they are struggling to pay payroll they are probably not paying less important bills either.

34 minutes ago, LaticsLegend said:

Decent post and a lot of it makes sense, but the reality is that due to the reasons mentioned (owner's reputation of treating employees etc etc.) if we are up against other League Two teams, more often than not we aren't going to be first choice for the player and will miss out on our targets.

Result of that means we'll likely end up with the dregs.

Unfortunately for us, players and agents talk to each other and news will travel fast about what's been going on here for the last couple of years.

It will to a certain extent. It is clear what a lot of players/agents think of Oldham at present. That said, as I've said before, it's a job to them. If they believe that they can get a 1 year deal (seemingly the norm in the lower leagues nowadays, generally with an option) at a professional league club on a safe amount of money, I reckon a lot would consider it seriously.

The "dregs" is probably slightly insulting given that there is such a big pool of unattached players year upon year. Some drop out of football, some get contracts, some just go round to different clubs on trial in the hope of securing a deal somewhere but there are plenty of players out there who have been released by lower Championship clubs, League One and League Two clubs that would be adequate signings for us. 

The likes of Devitt and Mayor who we have been linked (term used loosely) to are the cream of the crop for League Two sides I'd wager. I cannot for the life of me see either of those signing but there are players available who will have been contacted I'm sure who would improve (not hard at present) our squad. The issue will be the wage demands, especially so early as plenty of players test the water early doors before settling for way less come mid/late July and even less if getting into August without a club.

5 minutes ago, unsworthlatic said:

It will to a certain extent. It is clear what a lot of players/agents think of Oldham at present. That said, as I've said before, it's a job to them. If they believe that they can get a 1 year deal (seemingly the norm in the lower leagues nowadays, generally with an option) at a professional league club on a safe amount of money, I reckon a lot would consider it seriously.

The "dregs" is probably slightly insulting given that there is such a big pool of unattached players year upon year. Some drop out of football, some get contracts, some just go round to different clubs on trial in the hope of securing a deal somewhere but there are plenty of players out there who have been released by lower Championship clubs, League One and League Two clubs that would be adequate signings for us. 

The likes of Devitt and Mayor who we have been linked (term used loosely) to are the cream of the crop for League Two sides I'd wager. I cannot for the life of me see either of those signing but there are players available who will have been contacted I'm sure who would improve (not hard at present) our squad. The issue will be the wage demands, especially so early as plenty of players test the water early doors before settling for way less come mid/late July and even less if getting into August without a club.

Yep- players wage demands and getting close to them are key to getting in some of the better players we undoubtedly need.

I wouldn't however completely rule us out on this though. AL has previous for paying reported ridiculous amounts money to certain players over the past year. No-one really knows how much money he has or is prepared to spend but him.

He's such a loose canon and egotistical prat, that I wouldn't be surprised if we suddenly announced out of the blue a Devitt or Mayor type signing. Money talks at this level and if he will pay them what they are after, certain players will undoubtedly follow the £££.

Its ridiculous that Prem and now Championship clubs can poach the best youth players, offer them extortionate money, and then release them to drop to a league 1 or 2 level who then have to foot the bill as the young lads have become disillusioned with life as a pro footballer. Premier League clubs should be made to subsidise wages for xx amount of years after the player leaves if they are willing to offer these young players such amounts. It may reduce the amount of silly 10-15k a week contracts offered to Under 18s.

On another note, I will also believe we have a new manager when we see him. I also couldnt care less if he doesnt show up.

51 minutes ago, youngen said:

On another note, I will also believe we have a new manager when we see him. I also couldnt care less if he doesnt show up.

If I were a manager I would want to have a good look around the club before signing. Check the training facilities, dressing rooms, stadium and the general feel of the place. This guy must be a mug if he has signed on what AL has described to him, or he's desperate to get into English football. I'm afraid he's going to get a rude awakening.    

17 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Yet they were loaning us players when everyone knew what AL was like

9 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Let's see who we get in this season then before you start your relentless defence of another useless self absorbed owner.

I bet we don't get anymore loans from Bournemouth or Wigan. Just think about it, clubs loan players to clubs where they think they will be looked after and progress. We don't have even have a coaching structure.Those loans last year were on the back of Frankie Bunn and Andy Rhodes having contacts in English Football.

41 minutes ago, laticsmarra said:

I bet we don't get anymore loans from Bournemouth or Wigan. Just think about it, clubs loan players to clubs where they think they will be looked after and progress. We don't have even have a coaching structure.Those loans last year were on the back of Frankie Bunn and Andy Rhodes having contacts in English Football.

Lang didn't Seem to have issues and developed as a player during his loan spell so Wigan will be happy with that. They also extended his loan so if they had problems this wouldn’t have happened. Sometimes the players attitude as well as other changeables at a football club have big parts to play! 

6 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Posh owner going in on Lemsagam as well tonight...

*he doesn't mention him by name, but clear as daylight that's who he's on about...

Glad to see we still “do things properly round here”

38 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Posh owner going in on Lemsagam as well tonight...

*he doesn't mention him by name, but clear as daylight that's who he's on about...

The same owner than denied the deal was happening a short while ago on Twitter at said it was all untrue? 

Not saying it’s not true by the way but he’s not whiter than white. 

15 minutes ago, Jimbooth said:

He agreed a fee, arranged for George to meet, then called them 36 hours before saying the deal is off unless they pay more... 

Well, you have to admire the way he starting a bidding war, not classy but the only positive i can see is that we no longer role over with the first bid.

Archived