Squad til January, your first choice 11, pecking orders

Unless one or more of these foreign players is any good it looks like we have our squad until January.

What would peoples first choice 11's be and what do you reckon the pecking orders are for each position?

GK

Ruddy

Wilson/Placide?

Difficult to say here. Will Wilson stay? If he does he's blown hot & cold so far so would Shez give Placide a go as Number 2, starting tomorrow in Ruddy's absence? 

I'm underwhelmed with Ruddy and his one professional appearance ever. Ripley had a decent number of games under his belt before coming here.

Placide is pretty experienced (nearly 200 games club & country) and I wonder if Shez's words were a bit of posturing on his part.

I hope Ruddy's the real deal but I've got a gut feeling Placide might come through as our main keeper.

RB

Dummigan

Wilson

Mantack

LB

Hunt

Wilson

Stott

CB
Clarke

Gerrard

Wilson

Stott

Edmundson

As Wilson can cover the whole back 4 I think we might see him used more sparingly with Dummigan a fixture at RB. This worries me on the one hand because he's a bit hit & miss (mainly miss so far :lol: )   but hopefully he can settle down and do well. Wilson will still get a decent number of appearances filling in all over which should keep him happy and he's a good pro anyway in that respect. I don't see Shez using McLaughlin as a RB unless needs must at some point. 

I'd still like to see Stott in the side at CB or LB. I think Shez is missing a trick here.

Wings/Wide Midfield 

McLaughlin

Obadeyi

Kyeremeh when fit?

Hunt if we go 3 at the back?

Flynn - who knows where Shez wants to use him this season?

Gardner - on the right if not in a central 2 

Green (FFS) 

Mantack

I'd like to see Tope and McLaughlin as first choice right and left in a 4-4-2. What's actually wrong with Tope? Injured?

Kyeremeh from the bench once he's back. Hopefully Queensy might be in aswell.

I think it'll be more of a diamond though 

Footballing CM

Gardner - I reckon Shez sees him as his main man in midfield

Byrne - Shez might see him as his main man if he wasn't a loan :grin:

Banks

Flynn?

Fawns - he's done OK but I reckon we'll see a bit less of him now Byrne and Bryan are in. I like him though and reckon he might force his way back in. Should be a regular from bench being able to cover midfield, wings and upfront.

Defensive midfield

Bryan - looks like he's been brought in to do Fane's job better than Fane. His spell at Bury and our history with City loanees suggests he might not do though. I might be wrong though and he's just here as another body rather than someone Shez is looking to start with. In his interview Bryan said he hadn't spoken to Shez yet.

Fane - I predict he'll spend a month or so on the bench, the rest will do him good and he'll force his way back in for a disappointing Bryan.

Green? I can't weigh up whether Shez will want to start him regularly. Maybe one to be used similar to Wilson as he can cover most of midfield (albeit badly :lol: )  

Upfront

Doyle 

Holloway - if he hasn't dropped him yet he'll surely stick with him to see if it works with Doyle. I think he'll need to start offering more in the next 3 games though otherwise he'll be benched.

Duffus - I only put him ahead of Davies on the assumption his illness means we've not seen anywhere near what he can really do

Davies/Osei? Is Davies truly injured or has he fallen out with Shez already? I've always liked Osei and I'd like to see him given a run. We might see him start alongside Doyle tomorrow maybe.

Tope

Fawns

Doyle will undoubtedly be first choice but I think the job of partnering him is very much up for grabs. I predict it'll be him and Duffus most of the time provided Duffus recovers quickly.

Fingers crossed Davies can start producing.

With Gardner & Byrne meaning most of our quality is in CM and the lack of 2 proper quality out & out wingers, and the fact that McLaughlin has the energy to play in a 3 and easily drift wide and back when need be I think we might see 4-3-3 quite a bit.

So I think this will be the starting 11 he has in mind with everyone fit

Ruddy

Dummigan

Clarke

Gerrard

Hunt

Bryan

Gardner

Byrne

McLaughlin

Doyle

Holloway

4-3-3 could be 

Ruddy

Dummigan

Clarke

Gerrard

Hunt

Gardner

Bryan

Byrne

Doyle

Holloway

McLaughlin/Davies/Duffus/Osei/Tope

Guaranteed starters

Ruddy

Clarke

Gerrard

Hunt

Gardner

Byrne

McLaughlin

Doyle

Not a bad 8 that is it? Plenty of competition for the other 3 places....

Looks good when you look at it like that :lol:

Edited by HarryBosch

38 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Unless one or more of these foreign players is any good it looks like we have our squad until January.

What would peoples first choice 11's be and what do you reckon the pecking orders are for each position?

GK

Ruddy

Wilson/Placide?

Difficult to say here. Will Wilson stay? If he does he's blown hot & cold so far so would Shez give Placide a go as Number 2, starting tomorrow in Ruddy's absence? 

I'm underwhelmed with Ruddy and his one professional appearance ever. Ripley had a decent number of games under his belt before coming here.

Placide is pretty experienced (nearly 200 games club & country) and I wonder if Shez's words were a bit of posturing on his part.

I hope Ruddy's the real deal but I've got a gut feeling Placide might come through as our main keeper.

RB

Dummigan

Wilson

Mantack

LB

Hunt

Wilson

Stott

CB
Clarke

Gerrard

Wilson

Stott

Edmundson

As Wilson can cover the whole back 4 I think we might see him used more sparingly with Dummigan a fixture at RB. This worries me on the one hand because he's a bit hit & miss (mainly miss so far :lol: )   but hopefully he can settle down and do well. Wilson will still get a decent number of appearances filling in all over which should keep him happy and he's a good pro anyway in that respect. I don't see Shez using McLaughlin as a RB unless needs must at some point. 

I'd still like to see Stott in the side at CB or LB. I think Shez is missing a trick here.

Wings/Wide Midfield 

McLaughlin

Obadeyi

Kyeremeh when fit?

Hunt if we go 3 at the back?

Flynn - who knows where Shez wants to use him this season?

Gardner - on the right if not in a central 2 

Green (FFS) 

Mantack

I'd like to see Tope and McLaughlin as first choice right and left in a 4-4-2. What's actually wrong with Tope? Injured?

Kyeremeh from the bench once he's back. Hopefully Queensy might be in aswell.

I think it'll be more of a diamond though 

Footballing CM

Gardner - I reckon Shez sees him as his main man in midfield

Byrne - Shez might see him as his main man if he wasn't a loan :grin:

Banks

Flynn?

Fawns - he's done OK but I reckon we'll see a bit less of him now Byrne and Bryan are in. I like him though and reckon he might force his way back in. Should be a regular from bench being able to cover midfield, wings and upfront.

Defensive midfield

Bryan - looks like he's been brought in to do Fane's job better than Fane. His spell at Bury and our history with City loanees suggests he might not do though. I might be wrong though and he's just here as another body rather than someone Shez is looking to start with. In his interview Bryan said he hadn't spoken to Shez yet.

Fane - I predict he'll spend a month or so on the bench, the rest will do him good and he'll force his way back in for a disappointing Bryan.

Green? I can't weigh up whether Shez will want to start him regularly. Maybe one to be used similar to Wilson as he can cover most of midfield (albeit badly :lol: )  

Upfront

Doyle 

Holloway - if he hasn't dropped him yet he'll surely stick with him to see if it works with Doyle. I think he'll need to start offering more in the next 3 games though otherwise he'll be benched.

Duffus - I only put him ahead of Davies on the assumption his illness means we've not seen anywhere near what he can really do

Davies/Osei? Is Davies truly injured or has he fallen out with Shez already? I've always liked Osei and I'd like to see him given a run. We might see him start alongside Doyle tomorrow maybe.

Tope

Fawns

Doyle will undoubtedly be first choice but I think the job of partnering him is very much up for grabs. I predict it'll be him and Duffus most of the time provided Duffus recovers quickly.

Fingers crossed Davies can start producing.

With Gardner & Byrne meaning most of our quality is in CM and the lack of 2 proper quality out & out wingers, and the fact that McLaughlin has the energy to play in a 3 and easily drift wide and back when need be I think we might see 4-3-3 quite a bit.

So I think this will be the starting 11 he has in mind with everyone fit

Ruddy

Dummigan

Clarke

Gerrard

Hunt

Bryan

Gardner

Byrne

McLaughlin

Doyle

Holloway

4-3-3 could be 

Ruddy

Dummigan

Clarke

Gerrard

Hunt

Gardner

Bryan

Byrne

Doyle

Holloway

McLaughlin/Davies/Duffus/Osei/Tope

Guaranteed starters

Ruddy

Clarke

Gerrard

Hunt

Gardner

Byrne

McLaughlin

Doyle

Not a bad 8 that is it? Plenty of competition for the other 3 places....

Looks good when you look at it like that :lol:

Give the missus one....

Fook me i use to get this excited when i was KID then i discovered boobies, beer and Indie music....

6 minutes ago, Blue_Guru said:

Watching the training highlights video there was only Wellens who put the ball in the back of the net...who was it that crunched Byrne too? Bit daft that! 

No wonder there's a spate of injuries. 

Keeper - no idea, just glad we've got some competition for the spot.

Right back - I'd give Dummigan the place as he has the best potential, but if he doesn't step up soon then Wilson would be an ideal replacement.  Maybe Mantack can push for a place.

Left back - Hunt is first choice and I think as we've given him a 3 year deal we should play him there as much as possible and let him gain experience there.  Again Wilson can deputise.

Centre-backs - Clarke and Gerrard are currently the best two individually but as a pairing I'm not convinced.  Edmundson or Stott should be considered for one of the places with Stott being just ahead at present due to being left-footed and having impressed more recently.  Clarke should be ahead of Gerrard for the other spot.

Right midfield - McLaughlin.  Gardner if needed, Flynn at a stretch.

Left midfield - Obadeyi when fit.  Kyeremeh if he impresses and again, Flynn at a stretch

Centre midfield - Bryan as defensive midfielder, Byrne or Gardner as the ball player.  Fawns as a utility player.  I can understand why Shez prefers Banks to Fane as he can do more with the ball at his feet but I'm hoping that neither will be needed much.  Both have strengths but way too many clear flaws.  Bit part players at best.

Forwards - Holloway and Doyle should start tomorrow and I'd want the pairing to have a run of games.  If Holloway can't perform with a player like Doyle then he doesn't deserve a place in the team.  With Davies waiting in the wings to replace Holloway and Duffus and Osei as wildcard players, hopefully the competition for places will improve players.

1 hour ago, leeslover said:

Very the one eyed man in the land of the blind, but I can't think of a better performance this season than Mantack at Blackpool. I'd hope he's in contention for several positions as first change

I'm not sure.

His decisions and end product once he got the ball were poor suggesting no football brain but, then again, he did keep finding those positions suggesting a decent football brain in that respect. 

Unless it was poor defending from Blackpools left back.....

Definitely worth another 20 minutes as a sub if needed and Shez thinks he can exploit Charlton's left back....

6 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I'm not sure.

His decisions and end product once he got the ball were poor suggesting no football brain but, then again, he did keep finding those positions suggesting a decent football brain in that respect. 

Unless it was poor defending from Blackpools left back.....

Definitely worth another 20 minutes as a sub if needed and Shez thinks he can exploit Charlton's left back....

Did you slip off a ladder while painting your fence this afternoon?