The ref and refs in general

29 minutes ago, losesome said:

Whats galling about the situation is had that refs performance had been at Old Trafford the only way he would have been allowed to ref again would be under an alias name in South America , but the FL will have him on show again next week to ruin another game!!!!

I wonder where he is next?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, Forte_Baby said:

Just read in The Sun today that someone posted the Refs phone number online.

as angry as fans can get , clearly out of order whoever did this.

Yeah the regional FA he works for. 

No fan posted it, although someone found it.

PS Don't buy the Sun

Edited by rudemedic

There is clearly a problem with any referee who books 34 players in 6 games, now 43 in 7. He sees every tackle where a player goes down as a yellow card. I couldn't understand what any of the Charlton players did wrong at the end of the game to get booked.

Why not let clubs or managers write reports on referees which include video evidence to back up complaints or praise. The ones who constantly attract bad reports should then be removed for training and sacked if they don't improve.

The fourth official is a total waste of space and should be discontinued. They can't do anything except get an ear bashing from the managers.

Obviously the assessors are just as clueless as the bad referees, and no doubt always back them up. Why don't the EFL publish their reports? Probably because they make it up at the end of the game after colluding with the ref.

I had not realised that Joyce had also refereed the Walsall, burton Oxford Blackpool and Wigan games too! ....some referees make mistakes, some are incompetent, some are right when fans think they are wrong....but no team loses 6 matches on the trot conceding 15 goals in the process because of the referee. Any team or supporters getting wound up by the referee with a record like that is in denial.

Edited by Magister
Omitted word

40 minutes ago, Magister said:

I had not realised that Joyce had also refereed the Walsall, burton Oxford Blackpool and Wigan games too! ....some referees make mistakes, some are incompetent, some are right when fans think they are wrong....but no team loses 6 matches on the trot conceding 15 goals in the process because of the referee. Any team or supporters getting wound up by the referee with a record like that is in denial.

I don't recall the referees getting the blame for the earlier games. Did the referee on Saturday contribute to our defeat? Absofuckinglutely.

35 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

I don't recall the referees getting the blame for the earlier games. Did the referee on Saturday contribute to our defeat? Absofuckinglutely.

Nobody will get any joy out of these idiots. A certain Mr. Joyce was on the panel/board in 2015.

https://www.the-ra.org/index.php

1 hour ago, Magic Mikey said:

How was he at fault for their 4 goals? ......would you have said " fair enough" if that penalty had been given against us? 

6 minutes ago, Magister said:

How was he at fault for their 4 goals? ......would you have said " fair enough" if that penalty had been given against us? 

You obviously weren't at the game. We had pulled back to 2-2 and had the momentum. He gave one of our players a second yellow card (that means he gets sent off). That gave Charlton an advantage. He didn't contribute to the first two goals, please show me where anyone says he did. If that isn't simple enough for you I give in.

Edited by Magic Mikey

5 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

You obviously weren't at the game. We had pulled back to 2-2 and had the momentum. He gave one of our players a second yellow card (that means he gets sent off). That gave Charlton an advantage. He didn't contribute to the first two goals, please show me where anyone says he did. If that isn't simple enough for you I give in.

"he gives one of our players a second yellow card" .......who was responsible  for the first yellow....I can't find the three page thread abusing Fane ....who completely fluffed the header for the one on one goal? .....I can't find that abusive thread either....etc etc

blaming referees 

1 minute ago, Magister said:

"he gives one of our players a second yellow card" .......who was responsible  for the first yellow....I can't find the three page thread abusing Fane ....who completely fluffed the header for the one on one goal? .....I can't find that abusive thread either....etc etc

blaming referees 

Referee singular. This is too difficult for you and I will now give in.

1 minute ago, Magic Mikey said:

Referee singular. This is too difficult for you and I will now give in.

The title of the thread is refs in general....I am not defending the ref I am defending refs....a ref's clanger can change a game,. Of course it can but 98% of the time it is players at fault but 80% of the time is spent discussing refs....it is a blind alley and a coping strategy 

9 minutes ago, Magister said:

The title of the thread is refs in general....I am not defending the ref I am defending refs....a ref's clanger can change a game,. Of course it can but 98% of the time it is players at fault but 80% of the time is spent discussing refs....it is a blind alley and a coping strategy 

I responded to your post because it reads as if you're saying that Latics fans are blaming the referees for the early defeats. The OP was about one referee as is the majority, if not all of the thread. If we'd won every game up to Saturday it would make no difference, the man is a disgrace of a referee and I never want to see him in charge of one of our games again.

16 minutes ago, Magister said:

It's good that you've backed up your point with solid, researched, unarguable statistics. 

Just to be clear though, that 80%, is it 80% of owtb posts since the season started blaming our position on the ref? Or 80% of all owtb posts being referee related?

4 minutes ago, Magister said:

Fine...but do you want to see Fane in a Latics shirt again? ...do you want the header fluffier in a Latics shirt again?....refs make mistakes , players make mistakes but it is undoubtedly the latter which makes  massively the biggest influence on the game.....but fans don't want to see the ref again but chant the players  name! .....it is denial and a coping strategy 

Just to balance out this ref debate I'm sure you'll find far more posts/threads blaming and signalling out our own players than you will those criticising refs.

My original post was about the ref on sat, but I put refs in general in the title to open it up to a wider debate in general.

We seem to get 1 or 2 matches like this a season where the ref is at best incapable. The standard of refereeing for me is appalling. However I do see it as a very difficult job and one which I would not do myself. 

We can talk about disciplining referees and demoting them (i still believe like clubs, referees should be promoted and demoted each season rewarding consistently good refs and each would overtime find their level), but i more pressing concern for me is their inability to consistently read the game at a set standard from one referee to another. 

Personally I believe this is caused by the rules of the game being messed with too often and leaving to much open for the ref to interpret as they see fit.

Offside rule as an example, the "involved with play rule needs scrapping. If your offside your offside. This would take it completely out of the hands of the ref and leave it squarely with the linesman. No interpretation needed just a simple "your offside or not". 

This could be done right across the rule book. Tackle from behind, last man, too many rules open for the referee to interpret.

Simplify the rules, raise the standard

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/09/2017 at 8:59 PM, oafcmetty said:

Keep us posted where he's allocated next. The nice lag between Fane's "foul" and the second yellow made my profit for the day. Too slow b365, too slow...!

Wycombe v Barnet (William Hills offering booking points odds)

In a shocking turn of events he reffed Forest Green v Cambridge Utd last night and didn't show a single card.

13 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

In a shocking turn of events he reffed Forest Green v Cambridge Utd last night and didn't show a single card.

Cost me money in the Southend game too, the cunt

16 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Was talking about this last night. He reffed the Rochdale v Scunthorpe match a few games before us and gave no cards out. He's got to be dodgy.