Sheridan's future.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cold hard facts are becoming difficult to defend.

It sounds as though we are playing some good attacking football but we've now conceded more than half the goals we conceded in the whole of last season.  That's in 9 games compared to 46!

After today, no matter how good the attack is, we need to do what we can to sort out our crisis in defence.

I'd always give Shez the time to sort things out and him leaving wouldn't even come close to solving all our problems.  However in any other club the knives would be out and he would be in serious danger of losing his job.

If Shez goes (think that he will and should go if he himself says he wont change tactics, even though we ship goals and have lost all but two games) i think we need someone who knows the English game and lower divisions.  Concerned at the names that have been touted on here.

Just now, deckyd said:

If Shez goes (think that he will and should go if he himself says he wont change tactics, even though we ship goals and have lost all but two games) i think we need someone who knows the English game and lower divisions.  Concerned at the names that have been touted on here.

I agree.  But I don't think that's going to happen.

I would think that is days are numbered. Once Corney goes then Sheridan will go. We desperately need a defensive coach to sort this mess out. Pity Stott is not match fit. Gerrard and Clark is not working. Last year they hardly played together due to Gerrard being injured. It was Stott that helped keep us up with exceptional goalkeeping from Ripley

18 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

After today's performance we need a new Manager, goalkeeper a must, and a mobile centre back. That was the most embarrassing display of football from an Oldham team in years. The French guys are out of their depth. 

After Rotherhams expected huff and puff for the first 5-10 mins of the second half, we were in control without really threatening. I always thought we could and should have stepped up a gear. But we slipped one, conceded a second and crumbled.

We actually played some neat non panicky football. 

Think that's him done now, didnt go today myself but same old same old from the lads who went.

We have gone from a boring, gritty, goalless, clean sheet machine of last season to a gung-ho style team, missing out a huge area of transition in the middle, 3 oil tankers as defenders wont work if you are pushing further up the field especially if there isnt a tackle in any of your midfield. Gerrard & Clarke worked last season because we sat deep and had no space in-behind and even though they had 2 very limited midfielders infront of them at least they put a foot in and broke play up. Even Iniesta and Xavi had to have a stable base to play from in Busquets.

Be very suprised if he hasnt got a pile of removal boxes outside his door on Monday, sad as it is but nowhere to go from here

Well I think that's what he's doing trying to get sacked knowing the new owners have a bob or two. I know he saved us the last two seasons but he had just been sacked and needed a job. He's not had any loyalty to the club ever since he got the sack after the Dogs incident.

Edited by Smiler13
Needed another sentence

28 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

You forget Gerrard and Clarke hardly played together last season. Gerrard was out injured for the biggest part of the last 20 games. The defence was Wilson , Clarke and Stott

1 hour ago, Smiler13 said:

I would think that is days are numbered. Once Corney goes then Sheridan will go. We desperately need a defensive coach to sort this mess out. Pity Stott is not match fit. Gerrard and Clark is not working. Last year they hardly played together due to Gerrard being injured. It was Stott that helped keep us up with exceptional goalkeeping from Ripley

Some fact checking needed here, I'm afraid.

Gerrard re-joined last season with 21 games to go. He and Clarke played together 14 times, during which time we won 7, drew 3 and lost 4, conceding 14 goals. Also, 4 of the 7 when they didn't play together were the last 4 games of the season, by which time we weren't quite safe but were in 17th and had most of the hard work had been done.

Stott played in the last four games of the season, two of which were when we were already safe.

Having said that, I don't dispute that Stott has a promising future (although he also isn't the quickest so there's no guarantee he wouldn't also suffer in this system) and that Clarke and Gerrard are being more exposed this season (although a lot of that is down to the system, the poor goalkeeping behind them and the lack of protection they get from the midfield).

6 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

If Shez has said that Ruddy did nothing wrong in today's game he needs sacking quickly. Ruddy is a liability. He must have been watching a different game to me. We need to bring in a defensive coach quickly someone like Peter Shirtlif.

Or maybe "clipboard" Barraclough who was a quite decent defender shouldn't have been left go?