Sheridan's future.

In this day and age, it's rare for an individual to have such a connection with a club, especially at this level, as Shez does with Latics.  As a fan, you want that the person to do well just that little bit more.

There's no loyalty in modern football (as Shez himself proved!), but his status amongst the fans and the fact he's saved us from relegation twice should count for something.

Have a feeling the new owners won't see it that way, though..

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, Senor_Coconut said:

Seriously, need to stop listening to Nixon

I do reckon there's an element of truth in it - I said on the Takeover thread that I reckoned we'd have a foreign coach in by Christmas.

Sheridan had a meeting with his coaching staff two days before Deadline Day and basically said "This guys coming in and he's bringing a load of lads in and he'll want to replace us..."

12 minutes ago, Markspark92 said:

Why does everyone think everything Nixon says is true ? The fact he works for the Sun says it all, dident he say we had no chance of signing Doyle then changed his tune soon as he was announced !

I'd tend to think that not everything he says comes off but much of it has some substance to it initially. I suspect that he has some connections to the club (probably agents) somewhere but that some things (like Doyle) pass him by. This article just seems to sum up the general rumour that had been flying around that this 'may' happen although there doesn't seem to be anything to suggest that it's imminent. Hopefully, the likes of Byrne & Bryan will carry on adding that bit of spark that we need to turn results around for Sheridan because I like the moody, shouty bastard.

15 minutes ago, Twisbrogan said:

I'd tend to think that not everything he says comes off but much of it has some substance to it initially. I suspect that he has some connections to the club (probably agents) somewhere but that some things (like Doyle) pass him by. This article just seems to sum up the general rumour that had been flying around that this 'may' happen although there doesn't seem to be anything to suggest that it's imminent. Hopefully, the likes of Byrne & Bryan will carry on adding that bit of spark that we need to turn results around for Sheridan because I like the moody, shouty bastard.

Yes does seem from the pre and post match presser that Shez is losing interest even seeing the highlights from yesterday he just walked down the tunnel at the FT whistle and was sat on the bench for most of the game leaving the managing to Tommy Wright, hopefully we get a pre match presser from Shez for the Bristol game, if TW does it again it doesn't indicate good signs for Shez, I think it would be a huge mistake to get rid of him, a manager the fans have affection for and someone who we know cares about the club, we've had success with him in the past, the new owners should just let him get on with the job for this season !

I think Shez is the right man for the job and I think it is telling that he is still getting so much support from the fans despite our start to the season.

That said, if we have new owners (and for what it's worth I do think that is still a big 'if') they have to have a manager they are happy with. The owners will be judged pretty quickly so they need to have everything in place to give them what they see as their best chance of success.

It is also worth considering that whilst Shez is the best man for the job, that presumes we know what the job is. Just because he is the best man to keep us up, he might not be the best person to take us up.

This feels a bit like when Chris M**re took over and dispensed with Stitch. Hugely unpopular but the right decision.

In my view, the one thing I am sure about is that the manager needs to have English lower league experience.

Edited by Latics and England

23 minutes ago, Latics and England said:

This feels a bit like when Chris M**re took over and dispensed with Stitch. Hugely unpopular but the right decision.

Why was it the right decision?  We'd just started motoring when he was sacked and he went on to take Barnsley up out of this division.

If Shez is replaced that would be it for me, supported this club for nearly 20 years the best times I've seen this club have is with Sheridan at the helm, saved us again last season, he's cult hero status with us as a player and had success with us as manager, give him the funds to spend and let him build a successful side don't gamble on a forgien import that doesn't have a clue what there getting in to and then realise it was a bad decision in 12 months time, I think a lot of fans would agree we would rather keep Shez, although Corney did say a couple of week ago when I spoke to him after the Wigan game, that he would have a difficult decision to make if we were 10 games in and without a win 

Edited by Markspark92

1 hour ago, Latics and England said:

I think Shez is the right man for the job and I think it is telling that he is still getting so much support from the fans despite our start to the season.

That said, if we have new owners (and for what it's worth I do think that is still a big 'if') they have to have a manager they are happy with. The owners will be judged pretty quickly so they need to have everything in place to give them what they see as their best chance of success.

It is also worth considering that whilst Shez is the best man for the job, that presumes we know what the job is. Just because he is the best man to keep us up, he might not be the best person to take us up.

In my view, the one thing I am sure about is that the manager needs to have English lower league experience.

Not often I disagree with you but...

MDxwWlR.gif

.....it was awful watching him go on to take Barnsley up thinking that should have been us.

People often talk about getting rid of Ronnie Moore being the biggest bollock dropped (at least until this perma-bollock dropping era) but I've always thought it was Moore replacing Ritchie. 

If Andy Ritchie had got his way, we'd have spent the best part of 2 million signing John Oster, McAteer, Faulconbridge, Newby and Daz Ferguson. We'd have been relegated and in liquidation within two years. This is also added to the 70k he spent on Wayne Gill.

Great manager when we were borrowing and stealing, but wouldn't trust him to spend my pocket money...

There must be a reason why Shez didn't do the pre match interview or the post match one. 

IMO some of these players have been forced on him through the new investment. He said that he needed 5 or 6 new players and that's what he's got, but every manager wants to bring his own choices in not someone else's.

Also, why did he dash down the tunnel at the end of the game without shaking hands with the opposing manager and bench?

i think his days are numbered to be honest. 

If we are to have a new majority shareholder then they usually want to appoint their own manager, unless the team is already near the top of the league.

We are bottom so it would be a decision that could be justified by any new owner.

Personally I hope he stays and the new investment enables us to keep the successful loanees come January, but it looks like all is not well behind the scenes.

What does anyone else think??

Cannot understand why people keep talking about loyalty and Sheridan in the same sentence. Would it really be the end of the world if he was removed? Bottom of the league after 6 games, shocking tactics and team selection up to yesterday. Funny how the good players we signed are suddenly Sheridans but the poor players (and there are plenty in this squad) are usually Corneys.

it puts it into a bit of perspective when somebody quotes (Markspark92) the best years of watching Latics are when Sheridan was involved-well for me some of the worst years of watching Latics are when Sheridan is involved.

11 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Cannot understand why people keep talking about loyalty and Sheridan in the same sentence. Would it really be the end of the world if he was removed? Bottom of the league after 6 games, shocking tactics and team selection up to yesterday. Funny how the good players we signed are suddenly Sheridans but the poor players (and there are plenty in this squad) are usually Corneys.

it puts it into a bit of perspective when somebody quotes (Markspark92) the best years of watching Latics are when Sheridan was involved-well for me some of the worst years of watching Latics are when Sheridan is involved.

We have a winner well said sir

17 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I'd love Shez to stay but my gut feeling is that he's lost heart and become disenchanted because he knows his days are numbered - shame really.

100% where I'm at !! The sad thing is nothing surprises anymore and doesn't really devastate me like it used to. Don't get me wrong I still love the club and always will but empathy has well and truly set in a long time ago. You will never catch me throwing my toys out tho like some stating this is it for me .... etc etc. Oldham till I die. 

13 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

It's not down to loyalty it's about what's the best decision for Oldham Athletic and right now getting rid of him would be the wrong decision for Oldham Athletic this may change in the next few months if results don't pick up. 

Just now, GlossopLatic said:

It's not down to loyalty it's about what's the best decision for Oldham Athletic and right now getting rid of him would be the wrong decision for Oldham Athletic this may change in the next few months if results don't pick up. 

So why is it the wrong decision? We  are bottom of the league.

1 minute ago, GlossopLatic said:

There's only black and white with some. 

Good post