Sheridan's future.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

So why is it the wrong decision? We  are bottom of the league.

Have you not seen an improvement in last two games then ? It's September for crying out loud !!! We are gonna improve under Shez definitely. I thought anyone would be able to see that ? Some would rather basque in the negative tho !

1 minute ago, whittles left foot said:

It is not negative- I keep asking why we should keep him and so far no one has come up with a good answer.

Take it you've forgotten the last two seasons and the dire positions he saved us from? Surely just for that he deserves a bit of grace.

He knows this division and is well respected by the players, Doyle has gone on record to say he came here on the back of good reports of Shez, he's not some rookie whose out of his depth it's the circumstance that's to blame not the manager, he's seen his arse and is having a bit of a sulk but he's still the best man for the job.

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

If Andy Ritchie had got his way, we'd have spent the best part of 2 million signing John Oster, McAteer, Faulconbridge, Newby and Daz Ferguson. We'd have been relegated and in liquidation within two years. This is also added to the 70k he spent on Wayne Gill.

Great manager when we were borrowing and stealing, but wouldn't trust him to spend my pocket money...

He spent Barnsley's pocket money well enough....

12 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Take it you've forgotten the last two seasons and the dire positions he saved us from? Surely just for that he deserves a bit of grace.

He knows this division and is well respected by the players, Doyle has gone on record to say he came here on the back of good reports of Shez, he's not some rookie whose out of his depth it's the circumstance that's to blame not the manager, he's seen his arse and is having a bit of a sulk but he's still the best man for the job.

I remember the past 2 seasons very well but for different reasons-he is the bloke who upped sticks and left us in the mess that led to Robinson. For that he deserves no grace at all.

As per usual you have used quotes that no one else can verify, but yes he is not some rookie-he is the bloke who was sacked by Notts County for allegedly verbally abusing a referee when his team was on a run of 9 losing games.

Have to say posters are not exactly rushing to support you and come up with reasons to keep him.

7 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

I remember the past 2 seasons very well but for different reasons-he is the bloke who upped sticks and left us in the mess that led to Robinson. For that he deserves no grace at all.

As per usual you have used quotes that no one else can verify, but yes he is not some rookie-he is the bloke who was sacked by Notts County for allegedly verbally abusing a referee when his team was on a run of 9 losing games.

Have to say posters are not exactly rushing to support you and come up with reasons to keep him.

They don't have to support me its not a dick waving competition it's merely my opinion.

48 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

So why is it the wrong decision? We  are bottom of the league.

Because it's not as simple that.

We've played 6 games we've been beaten in 5 of them. Yesterday we gained a point and what everyone seems to agree on is that both yesterday and for large chunks against Charlton we have seen an improvement in performances. We have bottomed out and we now appear to be on an upwards curve.

Plus and I'm not sure why I should have to justify this to another Oldham Athletic supporter. Sheridans record last season the season before shows his ability to turn round difficult situations. His first spell here we had 2 pretty bad August's and he improved from there. I'm pretty confident we are going to turn the corner from now on under his leadership.

Edited by GlossopLatic

18 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

As much as I love the bloke I don't want to keep him for his sake I want to keep him for me & for us, for Oldham Athletic. Because I think he's a manager likely to take us somewhere given the environment to do so. 

Also, if the rumours that we're to be used in a similar way to these Belgian clubs hold water, I'd like to have someone like Shez in charge who might have the wit & wherewithal to still do something in such circumstances....

Personally speaking, it's a difficult situation to find ourselves in. On one hand, I think I'd happily sit back and let this guy pump money into the club, and help us try to stop this L1 hiatus that we have got ourselves in. On the other hand, throwing unknown players at us is a little unnerving, yeah there could be a few gems in amongst them, but I would have thought others would also be aware of them - he is their agent after all!

As far as managers go, Shez is a bit of a mixed bag if you ask me. He knows this league and us, but it would appear that he could implode when things aren't going right! .. by that I mean him upping sticks to NC and the barny he had with the ref and his employer resulting in his sacking - the bonus of that being he came back to us! .. 

As far as a 'new' manager goes, there's plenty of 'names' kicking around who've proven they haven't quite matched up to their playing reputation .. and that's the difficult bit for me! .. Shez DOES work wonders, Shez does have our faith (mostly!) and the football HAS improved in the last couple of games - i think we would have won both if it wasn't for the worlds worst referee and mistakes caused by panic and inexperience! ..

So, for me ... i think as long as laddo isn't wanting to play around with our club and pretend he's some wannabe Abramovich, I believe we should trust in Shez! .. the team as it is, knows him and knows what he wants, any newbies will be no different with him than any other manager .. a new manager will start afresh with them ALL .. and that for me isn't the right thing - we simply haven't got time for that, September or not!

As far as the Man City thing goes .. well, why not, our club has history, I've yet to call the ground by it's 'official' name and never will do! Whoever has their name on it, it will always be Boundary Park - or my personal favourite Ice Station Zebra!

History has been made, it is what it is, we shouldn't be afraid of a new chapter - the last few chapters have been pretty mind numbing to say the least.

It's laddo's money (and trialists) for me, Shez in the driving seat (to prove to them he CAN do it!) and if that involves City then I'm cool with that too ...

Edited by thetramfixer

34 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Agree, and as some have alluded to, a bit of managerial stability is long overdue and could help if the transition goes ahead.

19 minutes ago, singe said:

You don't like him, we get it.

It is not so black and white. I really do struggle to understand the faith Latics fans have in him and want to see what it is they think he can do for the club. A couple of the last posts make good cases for keeping him-it is just a pity some posters have to make it personal and cannot back up their belief with good reasons.

26 minutes ago, latics22 said:

In the days we live in, in football where you barely see a season with the same players. You gain no affinity with them no link to your club, we need shez. For me the memories of him as a player and a manager are strong! I would be devastated if he left, I can't think of anything better than him getting us out of the division.

Best post you've made on here.

Edited by yarddog73

50 minutes ago, latics22 said:

In the days we live in, in football where you barely see a season with the same players. You gain no affinity with them no link to your club, we need shez. For me the memories of him as a player and a manager are strong! I would be devastated if he left, I can't think of anything better than him getting us out of the division.

24 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Best post you've made on here.

Praise indeed..... :lol: 

2 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

+1

football is a different game than that which we as supporters would idealistically want. John Sheridan has been good for Latics on balance,but is by no means a manager with impeccable credentials. Last year he dug us out of the mess that he left us with. He is a professional like the rest and will go for the money as we all would. All the hype around him is misguided and he to be fair doesn't promote it.

lets just face it he is another on the merrygoround of Latics managers,we are bottom of the Division and he theoretically is at the helm of the football matters. I for one am sick of the  merrygoround and really don't know where we go from here manager wise.

1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

It is not so black and white. I really do struggle to understand the faith Latics fans have in him and want to see what it is they think he can do for the club. A couple of the last posts make good cases for keeping him-it is just a pity some posters have to make it personal and cannot back up their belief with good reasons.

Who was in charge when we went to Scunny fully expecting to turn over the top of the table side, having blown away most teams we'd faced in recent months? We weren't even fielding big money players. It was fucking lovely.

I don't think Sheridan will be here much longer tbh which I think is a massive shame, because I can't think of anyone who could do a better job than him at the minute. (Especially Walter fucking Zenga).

its been a very tough start to the season. We've played teams who, in my opinion will be near or near abouts the top 6. Wigan (top 2), oxford, charlton (awful referee didn't help), fleetwood. 

We struggled against Blackpool (who are currently near the top 6 I think) and only had 3 subs. We've had plenty of injuries (apparently) and we've clearly had a shit load of distraction off the field too.

Things look like they could be starting to click, so I hope things start to settle down.

20 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I can't see a thread that is exclusive to Sheridan's future with us, so I thought I'd start this thread.

Bit harsh that. I thought he done OK, tracked back well and took on the full back a few times. Crossing was poor but, at least he was trying to force it, instead of lose possession or just pass it back to the defence. 

Edit- quoted the wrong bit (it's early in the morning, let me off) ? 

Meant the bit about the new lad winning a raffle to play. 

Edited by we hate man,u and city to