Sheridan's future.

10 hours ago, latics22 said:

Oh Andy (bestie)... I have to disagree,this has hardly been his team. You could maybe say from fleetwood he is starting to build his team, judge him from now. Not the dregs of green and banks etc

Bestie latics22 I'm sorry it was a moment of madness I can only blame the misses 33 week pregnant asking for food at 4am in the morning I blame sherri for This I mean misses ffs!!!@

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, oldhamoafc said:

I don't think Sheridan will be here much longer tbh which I think is a massive shame, because I can't think of anyone who could do a better job than him at the minute. (Especially Walter fucking Zenga).

its been a very tough start to the season. We've played teams who, in my opinion will be near or near abouts the top 6. Wigan (top 2), oxford, charlton (awful referee didn't help), fleetwood. 

We struggled against Blackpool (who are currently near the top 6 I think) and only had 3 subs. We've had plenty of injuries (apparently) and we've clearly had a shit load of distraction off the field too.

Things look like they could be starting to click, so I hope things start to settle down.

What is apparent to me is the recent change in Sheridan's body language and interaction with media, players and fans alike. Whether this is down to the bad start or him being undermined by events at the club is open to speculation.

it is fair to say that, even allowing for injuries, his tactics and selections have not worked in the early games. He has also suffered through one or two key players performing badly and this has led to often shambolic defending and a lack of attacking quality.

However, those of us who were at Fleetwood (and to a lesser extent at the Charlton game) have seen a definite improvement in the quality of players on the pitch and quality of play going forward. There is still a question mark (in my mind) over the formation - three at the back does not suit us. But it is evident that both Gerrard and Clarke are getting back on form. 

Sheridan is starting to effect a change for the better and we are starting to look a better and more cohesive unit. Whatever happens in the next few weeks off the pitch, I believe that, if Sheridan is around, things will continue to improve on the pitch.

Edited by TheBigDog

I'm biased but I can't think of anyone who's realistically better to have in charge than Shez.

He was my favourite player growing up and has been more than adequate as a manager during his three spells in charge.  He made mistakes during August, but I'm interested to find out the exact order that off-field events transpired during the month because his demeanour changed dramatically from the Burton game onwards.  One unsettled month doesn't overwrite his previous achievements.

Sadly I think it's inevitable that Shez will leave in the not too distant future.  Either by his own accord if he doesn't get a say in some of the transfer dealings or if he gets pushed by the new owners who want to bring in their own man.

Hopefully there will be three things that make them reconsider.

1.  While I rate what he can do, Shez's stock won't be as high anywhere else as it is here.  I'm not convinced he'll get as good a job as he would have at present.

2.  If the new owners consider everything other than their own agenda, sacking Shez would be risky at best.  It wouldn't be a case of sacking a run-of-the-mill lower league manager and starting from scratch, it would leave a bad taste in the mouth of the majority of fans who have an affinity for Shez.  If they are looking to convince fans that their long-term intentions are fair, then it wouldn't be the smartest move to immediately get rid.

3.  Results.  Hopefully the current set up (manager, coaches and players) gets the time to show that it can function well and is worthy of sticking with.

The whole thing is bittersweet.  The start of the season has made it all too clear just how much we need new impetus and investment, but throwing the baby out with the bathwater would not bode well for the future.

16 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

I remember the past 2 seasons very well but for different reasons-he is the bloke who upped sticks and left us in the mess that led to Robinson. For that he deserves no grace at all.

Not this utter bollocks again :rolleyes:

Shez got a payday. Corney got a payday. Everyone who made it happen was a winner.

Obviously your feelings got hurt though. Damn :sleeping:

Edited by boundaryblue80

26 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Not this utter bollocks again :rolleyes:

Shez got a payday. Corney got a payday. Everyone who made it happen was a winner.

Obviously your feelings got hurt though. Damn :sleeping:

Yeah everyone but the most important thing-The Club. 3 weeks before the season started-It led to Robinson something arguable the club has still not recovered from. All you can see is £ signs.

7 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Yeah everyone but the most important thing-The Club. 3 weeks before the season started-It led to Robinson something arguable the club has still not recovered from. All you can see is £ signs.

I completely agree with you and it stopped my attendance BUT Corney could have said no! He didnt, as usual he cashed in. I dont just blame Shez totally.

IF we get any new investment its highly unlikely to be anything that will massively change the fortunes of our Club

Hopefully though something that will enable us to continually improve our squad, as we've seen in recent weeks with the introduction of Eoin Doyle Jack Byrne Kean Bryan and less recently Dan Gardner.

The addition of a 'well known' player at the latter years of their career would be a bonus

For me, I'd most certainly stick with John Sheridan who with funds to strengthening the squad could well get us to a play off place.

If our supposed new investor was a billionaire oil sheikh,  I'm pretty sure we would have all known by now :D

57 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Blaming Shez for the board appointing a shit replacement is bizarre. If we'd have appointed someone decent and got promoted, would you have been praising Shez for leaving?

It's as simple as this for me. If Shez has to go to enable us to get investment and actually compete rather than the circle of uncertainty we keep going round in then fine. Shez leaving to go to county was beneficial to him as he got massive wages, it was beneficial to Corney and the club as they got a decent fee for him. So what's the difference now? If it's going to help the club it has to be done Shez will do alright as he will have to be paid off and will get another job.

25 minutes ago, Blue_Guru said:

He sounds proper downbeat in his interview...can't be good for drumming up the players!

I've haven't watched it yet myself but Matt Chambers tweeted earlier that Sheridan was in good form this morning.

Edited by bozman
spelling mistake

I don't think it has been mentioned yet but does anyone think that Shez is distracted by his court case with Notts?

With all the other stuff going on it will make him grumpy, stressed, distracted and just less effective. Just like having your star player out injured, when Shez is finally able to give us 100% I'm positive things will turn around.

In Shez I trust

1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

Blaming Shez for the board appointing a shit replacement is bizarre. If we'd have appointed someone decent and got promoted, would you have been praising Shez for leaving?

Crikey this is hard work. The reason they appointed Robinson was because Sheridan upped sticks and left just before the new season started.

Sheridan got us out of a mess and then put Notts County into one.  Sheridan then got us out of a mess again but here we are rock bottom again.  Anyone taking over or investing in Latics might wonder, as I have, if Sheridan is the right man to take us forward and upwards.  Of course our position might have everything to do with the possible take over/investment but the decisions on formation and selection must also have had their impact and that is down to Sheridan (or is it).