Keeper situation.

I think it's worth discussing where we are at with regards to our goalkeeper as I personally think it's our achilles heel, I am presuming Sheridans one priority this season was resigning Connor Ripley and he made no secret of that, in fact he went on record to say he'd wait till the last possible moment to resign him which left us hopelessly short going into the season, not signing Connor has been a massive mistake and I know there was a deal to be done and I'm sure given the choice Connor himself would of preferred to have been playing as opposed to sitting on Burton Albions bench, it's a crying shame that this deal couldn't be done and it's a decision that makes no sense from any angle.

Moving on to what we have to work with, Wilson was out of his depth and his weaknesses were obvious from the start, Ruddy likewise has a long way to go and although he's an improvement on Wilson he isn't a patch on CR. For me these two keepers have totally undermined our defensive unit and are just not good enough as they have been directly responsible for goals conceded game after game.

What's the new guy Placide doing here if he's not going to play? His pedigree would suggest he's better than what we have seen but there seems a reluctance to play him which seems a little mystifying when we are giving game time to two keepers who are way off what's required who seem to struggle at times with the basics, from the reports I've heard he looked steady enough in the

reserve fixture at Everton and can't be any worse than the 2 a game keepers we are blooding for other teams who frankly aren't up to the job.

For me to get our season on track this farcical situation needs resolving and sharpish.

Edited by yarddog73

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given we went 100% to get Ripley, I think it was in Boro's hands with  the two factors we cannot control ie percentage of wage and playing  in Championship the difference

It does seem strange that Boro allowed him to be benched all season though, that cannot be good for his development Maybe they ultimately thought we'd struggle all season again. 

I don't think the new money was a possibility then. 

I agree Placide has the pedigree so maybe there is another hold up, match fitness or maybe some wil say Shez being stubborn. He's played Gevaro so I'm 100% it's not that, and Shez is too professional IMHO. 

To me it looks like shez is being a little stubborn. Yes he has played Gervaro but i think that is because he has no other real option. I say this as he hasn't given any of the others a single minute. Menig for example should surely have made an apperence from the bench at least. He's tricky, dynamic has a great first touch and turnd defenders as well as having an eye for goal. This reluctance to use his squad may ultimately cost him his job.

8 minutes ago, oafc1000 said:

To me it looks like shez is being a little stubborn. Yes he has played Gervaro but i think that is because he has no other real option. I say this as he hasn't given any of the others a single minute. Menig for example should surely have made an apperence from the bench at least. He's tricky, dynamic has a great first touch and turnd defenders as well as having an eye for goal. This reluctance to use his squad may ultimately cost him his job.

Menig played yesterday.

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

You probably said similar when Cornell was clearly out of his depth, of course there's an issue because we have the worst defensive in the division after having one of the best with very similar personnel.

If we can't blame the ref we go to Plan B and blame the keeper!?

Take yesterday's first goal as an example...the keeper absolutely should have done better with the cross but where is the thread analysing the laughable antics of the left side in  managing to avoid having to try to stop a cross coming in.....l am a believer in addressing the first mistake which leads to a goal not just the last

12 minutes ago, Magister said:

If we can't blame the ref we go to Plan B and blame the keeper!?

Take yesterday's first goal as an example...the keeper absolutely should have done better with the cross but where is the thread analysing the laughable antics of the left side in  managing to avoid having to try to stop a cross coming in.....l am a believer in addressing the first mistake which leads to a goal not just the last

Do you mean a keeper should never have to face a cross from the wing then - revolutionary idea.

I'd personally prefer it if we had a competent keeper who could gather a simple ball rather than spilling it to on rushing forwards.

The 'keeper situation isn't good, but I think what's even more worrying is that our defensive shape isn't really going to help protect them in the long run.  Whereas our 3-5-2 last year was more of a back 5 with the players we had, it's definitely a back 3 this year and Clarke and Gerrard aren't the most mobile players to play it.  Hopefully whoever the keeper is forms a good understanding with the players in front of them soften the blow.

That being said, providing we don't stay in the relegation zone all year long, I would much prefer this year's great attack/crap defence compared to the opposite from last year.  Especially as it's difficult to replace any of the current midfield/attacking 7.

1 hour ago, Magister said:

It was Ripley who held Latics to ransom for his wages...... We have now had 4 keepers this season ....and we sent the best back across the Pennines

Presuming you mean the potential Leeds loaned, not aware he has been snapped up elsewhere has he? No evidence at all to suggest how good or otherwise he is.

Ruddy is no better than Wilson. Capable of making the occasional good stop but just as likely to make an error & commands very little. That's if we're OK with having to score 2 a game to get any points whilst he learns but I don't think we are. If we have to pay to bench him then we've been done.

Apparently Placide likes to sweep behind the defence which is no bad thing when a couple of them seem to have lost their legs in the summer.

1 hour ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

The 'keeper situation isn't good, but I think what's even more worrying is that our defensive shape isn't really going to help protect them in the long run.  Whereas our 3-5-2 last year was more of a back 5 with the players we had, it's definitely a back 3 this year and Clarke and Gerrard aren't the most mobile players to play it.  Hopefully whoever the keeper is forms a good understanding with the players in front of them soften the blow.

That being said, providing we don't stay in the relegation zone all year long, I would much prefer this year's great attack/crap defence compared to the opposite from last year.  Especially as it's difficult to replace any of the current midfield/attacking 7.

I think you are spot on there. Several times they had a spare man on the left or the right. The problem is we have no real cover in central defence apart from Stott who is injured (far too much of that happening as well this season, something is drastically wrong with the training methods) and Wilson who could have played. Everyone thought the defence was the only area which didn't need strengthening after last season, but we have been proved wrong. It could be that they don't have confidence in the goalkeeper, were as last season they all had 100% confidence in Ripley.

30 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Presuming you mean the potential Leeds loaned, not aware he has been snapped up elsewhere has he? No evidence at all to suggest how good or otherwise he is.

Good enough to be called up for the Irish senior squad for last week's World Cup games against San Marino and Czech Rep...good enough to be given a 3 year contract by the top of the Championship....and he doesn't have to be that good to be better than Ruddy and Wilson in any case

27 minutes ago, Twisbrogan said:

Ruddy is no better than Wilson. Capable of making the occasional good stop but just as likely to make an error & commands very little. That's if we're OK with having to score 2 a game to get any points whilst he learns but I don't think we are. If we have to pay to bench him then we've been done.

Apparently Placide likes to sweep behind the defence which is no bad thing when a couple of them seem to have lost their legs in the summer.

We play too deep for keeper sweeper qualities to come into play

1 hour ago, rvlatic said:

I was concerned by ruddy 's kicking yesterday - not much distance, especially one at the end- where we had players up top waiting for it and he 'spun' one into the midfield pack of Shrewsbury players.

He kicking was decent early on...

1st half he pinged a cracker of a ball wide for Doyle and turned defence into attack instantly! 

2 hours ago, singe said:

Given we went 100% to get Ripley, I think it was in Boro's hands with  the two factors we cannot control ie percentage of wage and playing  in Championship the difference

It does seem strange that Boro allowed him to be benched all season though, that cannot be good for his development Maybe they ultimately thought we'd struggle all season again. 

I don't think the new money was a possibility then. 

I agree Placide has the pedigree so maybe there is another hold up, match fitness or maybe some wil say Shez being stubborn. He's played Gevaro so I'm 100% it's not that, and Shez is too professional IMHO. 

We will have a better idea if he drops Gevaro as soon as Hunt is fit.

1.) Just because this only happened in front of 123 of our fans doesn't mean it didn't happen 

2.) Shez is not being stubborn, he plays the best team from those he sees day in and day out, regarding the Keepers I bet he listens to Carlo Nash a lot. Placide has pedigree but so does Ruddy and Wilson's pedigree isn't bad either, half of French Ligue 1 would struggle in our division, but because PSG and Monaco do so well in Europe it's a great league and he can make saves against the likes of Zlatan etc.

3.) I can see why he has picked Gevaro, his delivery yesterday was some of the best I've seen at this level, I was also underwhelmed by Queensy.

4.) Ruddy demonstrated some great kicking yesterday aside from the one already mentioned, which was a cracking pass, he had a good hand in the chance Doyle squandered when he rounded the keeper.

5.) Goalies make mistakes, young Goalies make more mistakes than old ones. I think people are forgetting that Ripley had a howler or two, and especially in the early part of last season.

6.) The conspiracy theories on here some times make me think that illicit drug use is a bigger problem than I thought.

So what's Ruddy done wrong exactly?

yes Wilson was shit, we replaced him. The elephant in the room remains, the fact that Clarke's legs have gone. He was awesome last season but Ripley was digging him out of the shit every week. This year he looks every bit the old man. He was awful for that second goal yestday but people focus on a kid in goal that looks decent and whether Gerrard is overweight or not. The problem in defence is our captain. Edmundson hasn't great either but he gets some slack he's a kid. I'd bring Stott in once he's fit. 

29 minutes ago, oafcprozac said:

So what's Ruddy done wrong exactly?

yes Wilson was shit, we replaced him. The elephant in the room remains, the fact that Clarke's legs have gone. He was awesome last season but Ripley was digging him out of the shit every week. This year he looks every bit the old man. He was awful for that second goal yestday but people focus on a kid in goal that looks decent and whether Gerrard is overweight or not. The problem in defence is our captain. Edmundson hasn't great either but he gets some slack he's a kid. I'd bring Stott in once he's fit. 

Are you really suggesting dropping Clarke and keeping Gerrard? The latter is very limited as a  footballer when fully fit, he's an utter liability in the state he's in.