Keeper situation.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, leeslover said:

Are you really suggesting dropping Clarke and keeping Gerrard? The latter is very limited as a  footballer when fully fit, he's an utter liability in the state he's in.

He has played better than Clarke this season - in the matches I've seen anyway. 

28 minutes ago, leeslover said:

Are you really suggesting dropping Clarke and keeping Gerrard? The latter is very limited as a  footballer when fully fit, he's an utter liability in the state he's in.

26 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

What's your problem with him?

Are you watching a different game to me Andy? Gerrard didn't put a foot wrong yesterday all the problems came on Clarke's side awesome last season poor this there's no room for sentiment. Hopefully he'll improve over the season as he learns to trust Ruddy I'm of the belief he's slowing down and over compensating for not having Ripley behind him.

Gerrard started the season slowly but the last few times I've seen him he's been a dominant force.

Edited by oafcprozac

8 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Menig played yesterday.

Sorry i wasn't aware of that. I'm away on holliday and had to resort to i(tryto)follow Latics but it's toss and went off in about the 70th min. Had to resort to watching the bet365 inplay thing which goes along the lines of Oldham dangerous attack, Shrewsbury in posseion, Shrewsbury attack, Oldham in possesion. Lol.

How long did he get, how did he do?

4 hours ago, oafcprozac said:

So what's Ruddy done wrong exactly?

yes Wilson was shit, we replaced him. The elephant in the room remains, the fact that Clarke's legs have gone. He was awesome last season but Ripley was digging him out of the shit every week. This year he looks every bit the old man. He was awful for that second goal yestday but people focus on a kid in goal that looks decent and whether Gerrard is overweight or not. The problem in defence is our captain. Edmundson hasn't great either but he gets some slack he's a kid. I'd bring Stott in once he's fit. 

Im away but managed to watch the highlights. It looked to me he should have easily gathered the ball at his near post that he fumbled and pushed onto their strikers foot 4 yards out. May have just looked that way on TV as i wasn't there.

19 minutes ago, oafc1000 said:

Sorry i wasn't aware of that. I'm away on holliday and had to resort to i(tryto)follow Latics but it's toss and went off in about the 70th min. Had to resort to watching the bet365 inplay thing which goes along the lines of Oldham dangerous attack, Shrewsbury in posseion, Shrewsbury attack, Oldham in possesion. Lol.

He was only on for 15 mins didn't get much of the ball did a backheel which proves he is a million pound player ;) needs more game time to settle

7 hours ago, latics22 said:

If u play 3 5 2 you require the two either side of midfield to track back they need to be able to defend and attack. The left side will hopefully be sorted once hunt is back. I think we need to sacrifice McLaughlin on the right for who I don't know maybe dumingham, if he can get some form back. 

Gevaro, probably much to Shez's chagrin :lol:, deserves to keep his place. 

McLaughlin's gone from being head & shoulders our best player to being shite since going away on international duty. If he doesn't get his arse back in gear I'd try Hunt on the right. 

1 hour ago, oafc1000 said:

He was shit :lol:

41 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

He was shit :lol:

Not to worried about that if he only got 15 minutes and hardly got the ball to be honest. The whole team sounded shit for the first 25 minutes of the game so hopefully he will look better once he gets a bit of game time. Thanks for your constructive analysis though.?

6 hours ago, oafcprozac said:

Are you watching a different game to me Andy? Gerrard didn't put a foot wrong yesterday all the problems came on Clarke's side awesome last season poor this there's no room for sentiment. Hopefully he'll improve over the season as he learns to trust Ruddy I'm of the belief he's slowing down and over compensating for not having Ripley behind him.

Gerrard started the season slowly but the last few times I've seen him he's been a dominant force.

Must be. He's always been an extremely limited player, I think some people's view is based on the time when he was about the only defender we had and he did a job. There is no aspect in football at which he is better than Clarke. A poor Guy Branston, he least could kick a ball more than 20 yards.

Gerrard is a master of bullying and dominating physical opponents. The issue is Clarke is on the slide, Gerrard is not really very athletic and my worry they were too one paced is playing out. I said at the time I found the length of contract given to Clarke was odd. Playing three at the back rather than four kills the pair of them.

Whoever was going in goal this year was always going to be poor in comparison to Ripley. He was always going to get some stick.

Ruddy isnt the answer though. He cant command his back line, kicking is suspect and is nervous coming for crosses. 

I get the argument he made a great kick to Doyle, and made a great save at bristol, but these are exceptions rather than the rule. 

Ripley, although only young, carried himself like an experienced pro and won the respect of those in front of him. Ruddy looks like a boy in a man's game. 

I'd give placide a run he is our player after all, and has that experience we are crying out for. Wilson and ruddy are conceding 2 a game he can't be any worse. 

7 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

If they thought this Placide was any good they wouldn't have gone for Ruddy.

He would as Ruddy is his signing Placide isn't and if he plays Placide and the goalkeeper situation is sorted it will damage his pride and make him look a fool even if he is a fool for not playing him!!!

37 minutes ago, Andy Perimeter West said:

He would as Ruddy is his signing Placide isn't and if he plays Placide and the goalkeeper situation is sorted it will damage his pride and make him look a fool even if he is a fool for not playing him!!!

Pride has been the undoing of many a manager.

53 minutes ago, Andy Perimeter West said:

Drives me insane could make his position much more stable and if he Placide is worse he can at least say I told you so!!!!

Placide hadnt pl;ayed a first team game for anyone for well over a year and didn't have a club.  Doesn't suggest he's the second coming of Lev Yashin.