Keeper situation.

Neville & Carragher were discussing Everton back 3 yesterday and how having 2 x 30 year old plus defenders (Williams & Jags) is too much, they are slowing down and dropping too deep, conceding lots of goals. They reckoned a back 3 should have at least 2 good mobile players to play that system. It seems to be our issue as well.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Placide hadnt pl;ayed a first team game for anyone for well over a year and didn't have a club.  Doesn't suggest he's the second coming of Lev Yashin.

Well hes not likely to play a first team game for us either to get him up to speed, why is here for 2 years?

On 17/09/2017 at 0:45 PM, oafcprozac said:

So what's Ruddy done wrong exactly?

yes Wilson was shit, we replaced him. The elephant in the room remains, the fact that Clarke's legs have gone. He was awesome last season but Ripley was digging him out of the shit every week. This year he looks every bit the old man. He was awful for that second goal yestday but people focus on a kid in goal that looks decent and whether Gerrard is overweight or not. The problem in defence is our captain. Edmundson hasn't great either but he gets some slack he's a kid. I'd bring Stott in once he's fit. 

I'd say it was the other way round on many occasions...

58 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Well hes not likely to play a first team game for us either to get him up to speed, why is here for 2 years?

Don't know.  ALthough it wou;dn tnecessarily be a bad thing to have a back-up keeper on a contract rather than changing every season. 

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Placide hadnt pl;ayed a first team game for anyone for well over a year and didn't have a club.  Doesn't suggest he's the second coming of Lev Yashin.

Ruddy hadn't played a first team game for anyone for 3 years despite having a club.....

Edited by HarryBosch

5 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

He's literally just starting his career and you and others want him to be the finished article, quite scary really.

Don't think I've said that - I'm happy for you to quote me though, he's a long way off what we need and i've no doubt he will develop and become better but he's not really what we need from what I've seen, happy to be proved wrong of course.

5 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Both Ruddy and Wilson look too small and scrawny to be goalies to me. They just don't have a presence in between the sticks in my eyes. I want my keeper to be at least 6ft 3 and built like a brick shit house ! 

Good job Ruddy is 6ft 5 then...

I imagine those saying that Ruddy is "young and has only played 3 games" are the same folk who have totally slated and exiled Wilson despite being young and having only played 7 games. Laughable :lol:

I'm not going to make the mistake of comparing either to Ripley. It's silly to do so as he was well above this level.

In the 5 games I saw of Wilson, I only saw 1 thing that concerned me and was well below this level (the goal at Blackpool.) The rest is what I expect at this level and the shit fans have come out with is quite frankly a joke. In the 2 games I've seen of Ruddy, the howler on Saturday was pub league stuff and miles worse than that of Wilsons at Blackpool. He did pull off a corker at Bristol tho. I'd say these two are about on a par with one another so far.

I wouldn't have dropped Wilson but I'm a big believer that unless a keeper is consistently throwing in bad errors that lead to goals you shouldn't just chop and change the current keeper who has the shirt. So Ruddy should stay in goal for now.

When colmar and cornell(?) Were chopped and changed every week it didn't do wither any favours.

Can't be helping the defence not knowing who's number 1 in training. Ripley and Clarke had a relationship last you and you could see it I  the reactions to saved and goals conceeded.

This year the defenders just walk off and shun each other.

17 hours ago, deyres42 said:

You hang on Sheridan's every word, he's made it pretty clear that he doesn't fancy Placide.

I may well have missed it, but when and where did Shez say he didn't rate Placide? And, if so, why has Placide been on the bench the last couple of games and Wilson not even in the squad?

14 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

I may well have missed it, but when and where did Shez say he didn't rate Placide? And, if so, why has Placide been on the bench the last couple of games and Wilson not even in the squad?

Said he didn't see him as a number 1, might have been in the Chron.

Wilson not in squad due to loan rules (max 5 in matchday squad) presumably.

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Said he didn't see him as a number 1, might have been in the Chron.

Wilson not in squad due to loan rules (max 5 in matchday squad) presumably.

It was in a Latics Player interview I think 

He went on to say there was a proper number 1 ready to sign but whether he could go & get him or not was out if his hands (this was before deadline day when Banks & Fane were our midfield) 

I wonder if Ruddy was that man? 

Edited by HarryBosch