Man City link rumour

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

They've been saying there will be a European league for 30 years - they will still be saying it in another 30 years.

They have, but I think that as the money in football has increased and increased - the difference between being in and not being in the CL for the top clubs is becoming more and more significant.  Eventually the 'big names' of Europe will get fed up with the risk of 'rubbish small teams' like FK Qarabag, Apoel Nicosia, Leicester and Celtic taking their place at the table - and come up with a new competition that they set the rules for.

I think it will take a new media option (Amazon, Netflix for example)..or Sky (an an attempt to get back the 'big European nights') to be willing to offer a ridiculous TV Deal to a new competition and it will be done.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, Scapegoat said:

They have, but I think that as the money in football has increased and increased - the difference between being in and not being in the CL for the top clubs is becoming more and more significant.  Eventually the 'big names' of Europe will get fed up with the risk of 'rubbish small teams' like FK Qarabag, Apoel Nicosia, Leicester and Celtic taking their place at the table - and come up with a new competition that they set the rules for.

I think it will take a new media option (Amazon, Netflix for example)..or Sky (an an attempt to get back the 'big European nights') to be willing to offer a ridiculous TV Deal to a new competition and it will be done.

Being in the CL has actually become less significant for English clubs as the tv deal is so much bigger in England than anywherelse in the world. The likes of Stoke City can now compete with and even outbid AC Milan in the transfer market.

Where the desire to create a European league would probably come from, would be from the likes of  Celtic, Ajax and to a lesser extent PSG who dominate their domestic leagues to a level where they arguably need stronger competition to compete against the rest of Europe. I doubt the cream of the Premiership will push for this and I'm not sure the big 2 in Spain will or the likes of Bayern Munich.

The logistics of putting one together are probably far too complex and probably unrealistic who goes in who is out. So as a result it will probably never happen. 

Edited by GlossopLatic

4 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Being in the CL has actually become less significant for English clubs as the tv deal is so much bigger in England than anywherelse in the world. The likes of Stoke City can now compete with and even outbid AC Milan in the transfer market.

Where the desire to create a European league would probably come from, would be from the likes of  Celtic, Ajax and to a lesser extent PSG who dominate their domestic leagues to a level where they arguably need stronger competition to compete against the rest of Europe..

However the logistics of putting one together are probably far too complex and probably unrealistic so as a result it will probably never happen. 

They could in theory accomodate 40 elite European clubs in two leagues  A and B with play offs from each group at the seasons end to gain more revenue.

16 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

They could in theory accomodate 40 elite European clubs in two leagues  A and B with play offs from each group at the seasons end to gain more revenue.

But then you have all these others questions that would come up.

1 Getting 40 teams to agree to sign up the Premier league clubs have a very good tv deal it would take some persuading for them to walk away from that. Without their participation it would severely harm any financial windfall from a tv deal.

2. How and when do you play the fixtures not all the European leagues are in sync so to speak Scandinavian clubs play in summer.

3. How would promotion and relegation work what about the teams at the bottom of division B some clubs would have a choice of being stuck in the lower end of European league that they can't realistically win or stay in their domestic league where they will challenge for honours.

4. If a team is at the bottom of the B division with no chance of promotion but no relegation to fall through what is their motivation? You could see a poor competition.

Everytime one of these things is muted it's as if everyone realises how difficult it would be to setup and get everyone to agree on so realistically we are better off as we are.

Edited by GlossopLatic

11 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

But then you have all these others questions that would come up.

1 Getting 40 teams to agree to sign up the Premier league clubs have a very good tv deal it would take some persuading for them to walk away from that. Without their participation it would severely harm any financial windfall from a tv deal.

2. How and when do you play the fixtures not all the European leagues are in sync so to speak Scandinavian clubs play in summer.

3. How would promotion and relegation work what about the teams at the bottom of division B some clubs would have a choice of being stuck in the lower end of European league that they can't realistically win or stay in their domestic league where they will challenge for honours.

4. If a team is at the bottom of the B division with no chance of promotion but no relegation to fall through what is their motivation? You could see a poor competition.

Everytime one of these things is muted it's as if everyone realises how difficult it would be to setup and get everyone to agree on so realistically we are better off as we are.

The format will change somehow as the greed increases, that's my prediction anyway.

Not in the immediate future, but eventually.

https://www.reuters.com/article/soccer-europe-league/soccer-rummenigge-says-european-league-a-possibility-in-the-future-idUKL3N14Y4NP20160114

Edited by BP1960

11 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

The format will change somehow as the greed increases, that's my prediction anyway.

Not in the immediate future, but eventually.

https://www.reuters.com/article/soccer-europe-league/soccer-rummenigge-says-european-league-a-possibility-in-the-future-idUKL3N14Y4NP20160114

I hope it's on a different Sky Channel so I can opt out it.

I tried recently to give up all Sky Sports channels, bar Cricket, cos I can't be fked paying for European & Premier League football that I dont give two shiny sh1tes about, but there was little/no financial benefit in doing so.

if I could buy EFL only I would.

2 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

I tried recently to give up all Sky Sports channels, bar Cricket, cos I can't be fked paying for European & Premier League football that I dont give two shiny sh1tes about, but there was little/no financial benefit in doing so.

I fooked Sky off a couple of years ago and now just pay for the odd day/week pass on NowTV when there is something worth watching i.e. Cricket, don't miss it to be honest as I have little or no interest in Premier league football or Rugby league. 

5 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

You may well get your wish in the future. Tv audiences are currently falling as more and more people are using illegal streams it may all go down the streaming root in the future. Ifollow maybe seen as the first step towards that and we may just see a football league streaming channel or even just an Oldham Athletic one who knows.

On ‎17‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 7:35 PM, mossleyblue said:

Rather go down / out of business / reform as AFC Oldham and stand or fall by what we do as a club than be feeder club for any team. 

We all remember great FACup days against City, Liverpool, Everton, Forest, Southampton , Arsenal ( and unfortunately South Shields), as well as a couple of promotions and relegations since the late 60's, but we all get our moment in the sun as "our team" and put up with mediocrity in the meantime. 

Once that goes it's the end of the "92" club league for me. 

Not just the cup- who can forget Roger's hat trick at main road with us happily singing 'city reject'

4 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

The issue if they start throwing money at us is that they will want a say in how we are run as a club which wouldn't be in Oldham Athletics interests 

For the last 10 or so years, since about 3,000 fans ago, Corney & Co have had all the say in how we are run as a club. I'd take my chances.......

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

For the last 10 or so years, since about 3,000 fans ago, Corney & Co have had all the say in how we are run as a club. I'd take my chances.......

Ah the old anything can be better than what we have now argument. This would be great if things couldnt get any worse but the thing is they can.

Yes I want a change as much as the next man but it has to be the right one not the perfect one just the right one. If it means waiting abit longer struggling to survive in leahue 1 so be it. I'd rather we did that than make a change which leaves us even worse off.

3 hours ago, Andy Perimeter West said:

Downboats everywhere

Got to admire your bouncebackability fighting qualities, it's about opinions and I'm all for you having your say, that's what forums are all about.

Edited by BP1960

3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Got to admire your bouncebackability fighting qualities, it's about opinions and I'm all for you having your say, that's what forums are all about.

Well yeah everyone has the right to their opinion I don't care if they agree or don't it's not going to change my life :)