Development squad

Slightly linked to the takeover, but I feel there's a separate discussion  here.

It's been stated in the men today we are still putting together our development squad, clearly funded by Abdullah. Question is what does this mean for our current crop, and future prospects? 

Is the plan to call time on taking in scholars and produce solely imported talent or will we have a healthy mix of scholars and imports. 

Even if we have a mix there is no doubt the foreigners will impede the development of young British players much the same as the premier league has done over the last 20 years. 

Also is there any plans to change the coaching structure at the club? Surely we need more coaches with the influx of new players?

It's an interesting topic of discussion 

Brentford got rid of there Academy set up a few seasons back. Instead they play organised friendless and tournaments across the continent.

Huddersfield have this week announced there no longer running an academy at junior levels.

i still feel it's important to keep the youth set up but at the same time with the new trialists coming in. 

If there of a better standard could help the youngsters raise there game and prepare them a lot better for first time football. If they get the opportunity.

Edited by Forte_Baby

1 hour ago, Forte_Baby said:

Brentford got rid of there Academy set up a few seasons back. Instead they play organised friendless and tournaments across the continent.

Huddersfield have this week announced there no longer rubbing an academy at junior levels.

i still feel it's important to keep the youth set up but at the same time with the new trialists coming in. 

If there of a better standard could help the youngsters raise there game and prepare them a lot better for first time football. If they get the opportunity.

Rubbing an academy at junior levels - wasn’t Mick Wadsworth there once. Allegedly.

4 hours ago, JohnnyPimp said:

Pop quiz guys and gals.

How many of these reserves will make a name for themselves over the next couple of years?

Surely the law of averages guarantees that at least one or two are diamonds in the rough.

For a bonus point how many of them will make a name for themselves at other clubs.

The thing I can't get my head around in all this is this need to establish a development team, I recognise we need a pathway to the first team for the odd player and I'm a great believer that reserve team football provides this but to me we are going to end up watering down our quality and resources even further, we don't have a state of the art training facility nor the structure in place to support thirty to forty players and this could just lead to us ending up with two poor teams as opposed to the one, initially I would of thought the main aim would be to get the town behind it's football team again by putting a team out there to compete, my fear is those coming in have the same self absorbed attitude of those departing and we will be in even bigger danger of being left in an even greater mess than we started in, time will tell but for me this could go either way.

7 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

The thing I can't get my head around in all this is this need to establish a development team, I recognise we need a pathway to the first team for the odd player and I'm a great believer that reserve team football provides this but to me we are going to end up watering down our quality and resources even further, we don't have a state of the art training facility nor the structure in place to support thirty to forty players and this could just lead to us ending up with two poor teams as opposed to the one, initially I would of thought the main aim would be to get the town behind it's football team again by putting a team out there to compete, my fear is those coming in have the same self absorbed attitude of those departing and we will be in even bigger danger of being left in an even greater mess than we started in, time will tell but for me this could go either way.

Not done Dale any harm when they try to develop youth properly by giving them grown-up games or taking 'broken' players and repairing them.

Could it be that a 'development' squad is being built of the overseas players and Sheridan is carrying on regardless doing what he thinks is best for what he regards as his squad.  No doubt if there is someone worthwhile in the 'development' squad he will use them but his expectation is that they are all 'seconds'.