Shez has gone

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just like to add my thanks to John Sheridan for all he has done for us as player and manager and wish him all the very best for the future.

At risk of getting off-topic, I'm no shrinking violet and believe passionately in freedom of speech, but Mr Perimeter West, some of your posts on this thread have been absolutely disgusting and beyond the pale. If you were to be sin-binned by the mods for a decent period I wouldn't be too upset. By all means welcome Shez's departure if you must but at least show the man and your fellow OWTB posters some respect. 

2 hours ago, jorvik_latic said:

If he's in charge for 10 matches, he's deemed to be the next manager according to the bookies. Currently 10-1.

10 games is 6 weeks, I can see the "permanent" appointment taking longer than that. Appointing Johnson took longer and that was without the issue of a takeover to make things more complicated.

56 minutes ago, Andy-latic said:

We love shez, we always will and he loves the club.... However 1 win in 11 is just not good enough, although the players should take blame, the buck always stops with the manager, so it was the right decision in my eyes

I doubt very much he loves the club.

right decision though. He's not the man to get the best out of what is a decent squad (GK aside) on paper. 

Was it inevitable that it would end like this? After his disasterous time at Notts county I'd have probably. 

Happy to give wellens a go. 

9 hours ago, PlayItLivo said:

Certainly not just footballing reasons at play here.

The clamour for Shez to go wasn't even that prominent and Corney's usually good at giving manager's time (maybe Kelly aside). The results just give the owners the excuse they needed.

If we get that guy who used to manage Nantes, the motivations for doing so are questionable and I don't believe he'd be brought in because he's the best person for the job.

Nancy.

If it is Correa he would have the best record of any manager we've ever appointed 

4 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Nancy.

If it is Correa he would have the best record of any manager we've ever appointed 

Even better than us appointing Royle in 2009? Won the FA Cup with Everton. Two promotions to the top flight. A league one promotion (with City) and a league cup final with us?

There's not much I can find about Correa but are any of his achievements as relevant today as Royle's were in 2009?

It’s clear to me - given the stagemanaging of all this - that...

1 - Sheridan got a payoff sufficient to include an interview after his sacking saying he loves the supporters and it’s all mutual agreement. If I’m right on that then good - I love Shez. 

2 - The absence of any mention of a process for a successor, anywhere, means there already is one. 

3 - It’s going to be Correa. They were just waiting for the opportunity to bin a club legend and replace him with something the purse strings like better. 

4 - Note absence of PR blunders and statements about statements. 

6 minutes ago, PlayItLivo said:

Even better than us appointing Royle in 2009? Won the FA Cup with Everton. Two promotions to the top flight. A league one promotion (with City) and a league cup final with us?

There's not much I can find about Correa but are any of his achievements as relevant today as Royle's were in 2009?

Yeah, forgot about him somehow :lol:

9 minutes ago, Nohairdontcare said:

It’s clear to me - given the stagemanaging of all this - that...

1 - Sheridan got a payoff sufficient to include an interview after his sacking saying he loves the supporters and it’s all mutual agreement. If I’m right on that then good - I love Shez. 

2 - The absence of any mention of a process for a successor, anywhere, means there already is one. 

3 - It’s going to be Correa. They were just waiting for the opportunity to bin a club legend and replace him with something the purse strings like better. 

4 - Note absence of PR blunders and statements about statements. 

That seems sensible to me. 

Normally a manager could have no complaints after such a poor run of form and we as fans would have been calling for his head.

(Certainly nobody was 25 "football minutes" ago at 1-1 at Rotherham. We'd been singing his name FFS).

But, it's not been as simple as that has it...

There's been a lot of talk about his demeanour after Saturdays result but, his demeanour after these last two defeats has been very similar to his demeanour around the Blackpool match, during the early throes of the takeover rumours when all the triallists started arriving (Matt Chambers confirmed on GMR earlier these were without his say so) and before he was finally allowed to bring in Byrne, Bryan & Doyle.

It seemed to have needed quite a bit of brinkmanship on his part to bring that about. Don't forget he was having mysterious digs at people in interviews back then.

I still think that was one or both of Clarke or Gerrard. As it was after Saturday.

All was clearly not well.

They came in and we instantly looked miles better and results had looked like coming. 

Pre-season started with us going about the business of signing a few new players in the manner of a normal, stable football club.

Then it all ground to a sudden halt, while we still didn't have a single goalkeeper on the books. 

It's seemed since Corney announced how close we were to investment/takeover (this still keeps changing, Moisley on GMR the latest to suggest nobody's sure what it's going to be) that Shez has been on borrowed time and it's smacked of him being managed out all along. 

I don't necessarily subscribe to it being "sad" because we all love him, he's a club legend line or that we should feel sorry for him - he's a big lad and probably has enough to tide him over for a few years - it's just a stupid, stupid football decision. Not just this final act of sacking him but all the shenanigans that have led to it. 

We aren't adrift, very few fans were calling for his head - there aren't many of us left and most of us have been doing this long enough to see that there was promise in this side as opposed to no hope under Robinson or Dunn - and, as bad as Saturday ended up, many of us were still strangely optimistic heading into tomorrows match.

While it's a managers job to keep the players happy it's Corney's, or Moisleys, job to manage the manager and keep him happy.

As ever he's been fucked about left, right and centre and this is, yet again, where we've ended up. 

He's been very diplomatic in that interview. I reckon he's sick to the back teeth of it all and has said thank you very much for the payoff and been relieved to get out of Dodge.

What a stupid, stupid chain of events. 

The Lemsagam deal will probably fall through now and Corney will have fucked himself out of what could have been a rare decent, enjoyable season with a placid, content fanbase.

Totally fucked off with it all. 

47 minutes ago, PlayItLivo said:

Correa did win the French lge cup whilst at Nancy. not to shabby to have on your c.v.

Archived