Shez has gone

2 hours ago, Hometownclub said:

Really sad to see him go, especially after saving us from certain relegation in the last 2 seasons.

He will always be a club legend for me.

It just hasn't worked out this season.

27 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

This has been on the cards for ages and, whether you agree with the decision or not (I certainly don't), Shez hasn't helped himself by losing a lot of football games and making bizarre tactical decisions...

Sums it up for me. Time finally ran out for John but he will always be remembered for the good times. 

Good luck Shez with your next venture.

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

What does he say in his exit interview please? I'm thinking it's probably very sad...

He's gutted - but I get the feeling that he's run out of steam.

Said he needs a break, but everything with the squad, dressing room etc was spot on, just didn't get the results. Didn't want to lose the respect of the fans.

If the whatever we are waiting to happen happened I expected John Sheridan to be one of the first casualties. It feels like a mistake. If he is replaced by someone from the foreign legion he will not get it easy unless it is win win win. I suppose it could also mean the whatever is now close to happening.  Thank you John Sheridan - I won't be surprised if we see you again. 

Heart breaking video that.

Really feel for him.  Anyone who doesn't has no empathy.

He does take some blame and he wishes us the best.  He is clearly genuinely at a loss as to why it hasn't happened and believes with the players we have we shiuld be higher up.

Confirms no issues with staff or players in terms of morale or desire.

Its just one of those things it seems.  Just wouldn't click.

17 minutes ago, Hands on said:

If the whatever we are waiting to happen happened I expected John Sheridan to be one of the first casualties. It feels like a mistake. If he is replaced by someone from the foreign legion he will not get it easy unless it is win win win. I suppose it could also mean the whatever is now close to happening.  Thank you John Sheridan - I won't be surprised if we see you again. 

I agree this could go horribly wrong and could be the final nail in the coffin for our club, at least Shez has the backing of the fans, if Lemsagam brings his own forgien manager in and more forgien players in and we continue to struggle it could turn toxic and the fans will turn against the idea fingers crossed but I've got a feeling this could go horribly wrong !

35 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Heart breaking video that.

Really feel for him.  Anyone who doesn't has no empathy.

He does take some blame and he wishes us the best.  He is clearly genuinely at a loss as to why it hasn't happened and believes with the players we have we shiuld be higher up.

Confirms no issues with staff or players in terms of morale or desire.

Its just one of those things it seems.  Just wouldn't click.

Yeah, it was hard to watch. Especially mid way through when it looked like he had a tear in his eye.

They do seem to have parted on good terms though - not many managers do an interview after they've left.

I almost detected a sense of relief from him that he's out of the pressure cooker environment.

1 minute ago, bozman said:

Yeah, it was hard to watch. Especially mid way through when it looked like he had a tear in his eye.

They do seem to have parted on good terms though - not many managers do an interview after they've left.

I almost detected a sense of relief from him that he's out of the pressure cooker environment.

I got that too.  I think he is genuinely struggling and at a loss as to why he couldn't get it right so he is relieved to a degree.

I keep reading stuff along the lines of "a manager who doesn't know league one," and I'm not sure what that means. Surely, that means we want someone who can win and has gotten a team out of league one. Are there any of those that would be on the radar of a consistently bottom half league one team with limited budget? Not likely.

So then we want a manager who knows league one that has never achieved anything in this league other than being in it. Without some minor miracle then, we're accepting we're happy with what we've had the last however many years?

So then we're linked with a manager (Correa) that has experience of managing in the top flight of France, got a team promoted for Ligue 2 and kept them up in Ligue 1 (granted he did also struggle to keep another ligue 1 team in the top flight) and we're not happy with that because "ahh he doesn't know league one football?" I don't get it. Someone on twitter threw the Huddersfield managers name out there as someone who didn't know league one and that's worked out pretty well. I'd say any appointment for a team like us is a gamble, it could all go tits up but it could also be brilliant. Personally, I'd rather see us try something a little different and get in a manager that's been relatively successful in a foreign league than keep plumping for British managers that leave us in the same spot year on year.

Side note: I personally would have given Shez until the end of October to turn it round but, if this is the situation we're in, I wouldn't be dreading the thought of Correa with some money behind him.

15 minutes ago, jbrown23 said:

I keep reading stuff along the lines of "a manager who doesn't know league one," and I'm not sure what that means. Surely, that means we want someone who can win and has gotten a team out of league one. Are there any of those that would be on the radar of a consistently bottom half league one team with limited budget? Not likely.

So then we want a manager who knows league one that has never achieved anything in this league other than being in it. Without some minor miracle then, we're accepting we're happy with what we've had the last however many years?

So then we're linked with a manager (Correa) that has experience of managing in the top flight of France, got a team promoted for Ligue 2 and kept them up in Ligue 1 (granted he did also struggle to keep another ligue 1 team in the top flight) and we're not happy with that because "ahh he doesn't know league one football?" I don't get it. Someone on twitter threw the Huddersfield managers name out there as someone who didn't know league one and that's worked out pretty well. I'd say any appointment for a team like us is a gamble, it could all go tits up but it could also be brilliant. Personally, I'd rather see us try something a little different and get in a manager that's been relatively successful in a foreign league than keep plumping for British managers that leave us in the same spot year on year.

Side note: I personally would have given Shez until the end of October to turn it round but, if this is the situation we're in, I wouldn't be dreading the thought of Correa with some money behind him.

Logic - I like it!

1 hour ago, AndrewDodd said:

He's gutted - but I get the feeling that he's run out of steam.

Said he needs a break, but everything with the squad, dressing room etc was spot on, just didn't get the results. Didn't want to lose the respect of the fans.

Thank you - it's a very sad day, sounds like that's how JS feels at present. 

I agree with a previous poster...It's quite obvious to me from his final interview he had been struggling and his leaving is almost a relief for him. 

He's a true legend and served us well as a player and as manager but unfortunately his time here is now over. At least he's gone with his reputation intact, it could have turned very bad if he'd stayed and failed to turn it around.

I get the impression he can only go so far in football management as his spells with ourselves and Notts County demonstrate.

He went on an horrific run at County and has repeated it here. He's okay when things are going well but seems to struggle when results aren't forthcoming. All the more baffling that he has managed to keep us up twice from seemingly hopeless situations.

He obviously went to County for the money but I also think he left for fear of failure here when he intimated that he'd probably taken us as far as he could.

A real shame he hasn't had the success he had hoped for here, he no doubt badly wanted to do it for the supporters who have backed him through thick and thin.

Thanks John and good luck in the future wherever that may be.

45 minutes ago, jbrown23 said:

Great post, most of us didn't want to see shez go, but he has and maybe this could be the turning point..A bit of info of whats going on at our club would be a good start

Archived