Thanks John

16 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

It is a forum. You are entitled to post your opinion-preferably without judgement. Inevitably not all you will agree with.

As Stagger Lee said in the very first reply - “good thread idea - let's save the debate for the other threads and make this a 'good memories' only thread”. 

There are plenty other opportunities for people to slag off a club legend in other threads, what’s wrong with leaving this one alone?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

It is a forum. You are entitled to post your opinion-preferably without judgement. Inevitably not all you will agree with.

There are (at least) two sorts of opinions that are not worthy of respect.  Those that are based on palpably obvious falsehoods and those that are gratuitously obnoxious

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

There are (at least) two sorts of opinions that are not worthy of respect.  Those that are based on palpably obvious falsehoods and those that are gratuitously obnoxious

It is the dichotomy of social media...gratuitous worship or outright defamation.
Just watch the Latics hashtag on Twatter, on any given match-day. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched the extended highlights back for the first 5 games of the season. I think In advance of whenever the time comes and we lose a game, those fans who will moan and criticise should go and watch them back because it is unbelievably painful and a world away from where we are now. I think if I’d gone back and watched another 5 games from the start of the previous season I might have had to follow Rugby instead! It’s a miracle the fans we have left are still here and hopefully we’ll be rewarded with an enjoyable season!

Edited by b0ndl1ne

49 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Just watched the extended highlights back for the first 5 games of the season. I think In advance of whenever the time comes and we lose a game, those fans who will moan and criticise should go and watch them back because it is unbelievably painful and a world away from where we are now. I think if I’d gone back and watched another 5 games from the start of the previous season I might have had to follow Rugby instead! It’s a miracle the fans we have left are still here and hopefully we’ll be rewarded with an enjoyable season!

Garbage absolute garbage. We weren't that bad. We had the potential. You could see it in many of the games.

11 minutes ago, oafcshuck said:

Garbage absolute garbage. We weren't that bad. We had the potential. You could see it in many of the games.

So you watched Oxford, Burton, Walsall and Wigan and saw potential? Jesus Christ.

Gerrard getting constantly skinned, Clarke playing despondently, The defence having no confidence in Ben Wilson who flapped at everything. You had Holloway playing with lead in his boots, the midfield standing off and Banks strolling around the pitch. McLaughlin couldn’t beat a man. Nothing but long balls with no winning of the second ball.

You are utterly clueless if you saw potential in those games and I suggest you go back and watch them

2 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

So you watched Oxford, Burton, Walsall and Wigan and saw potential? Jesus Christ.

Gerrard getting constantly skinned, Clarke playing despondently, The defence having no confidence in Ben Wilson who flapped at everything. You had Holloway playing with lead in his boots, the midfield standing off and Banks strolling around the pitch. McLaughlin couldn’t beat a man. Nothing but long balls with no winning of the second ball.

You are utterly clueless if you saw potential in those games and I suggest you go back and watch them

I thought we were brilliant against Burton ..

25 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Gerrard getting constantly skinned, Clarke playing despondently, The defence having no confidence in Ben Wilson who flapped at everything. You had Holloway playing with lead in his boots, the midfield standing off and Banks strolling around the pitch. McLaughlin couldn’t beat a man. Nothing but long balls with no winning of the second ball.

I don't wish to engage in the whole-length debate, it's been covered, we were pretty shit, then we signed Doyle, Byrne and Bryan... along with the foreign lads.

However, McLaughlin was outstanding the first few games of the season. 

25 minutes ago, Latics_Fanatic said:

I don't wish to engage in the whole-length debate, it's been covered, we were pretty shit, then we signed Doyle, Byrne and Bryan... along with the foreign lads.

However, McLaughlin was outstanding the first few games of the season. 

Good post.

Yet again another load of Shez bashing nonsense is thwarted by the above facts.

Would love to have seen what Shez could've done had he been backed. Thanks Simon.

30 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Good post.

Would love to have seen what Shez could've done had he been backed. Thanks Simon.

He certainly wouldn't have thrown away a 4-2 lead with 10 minutes left and a 4-3 lead with a minute left. Can guarantee that.

24 minutes ago, oafcshuck said:

Why wouldn't we? Scored 2 at Fleetwood 3 at Bristol 1 at Rotherham. Hardly lacking goals under Sheridan.

What a dumbfounded statement.

Can't believe you have just used '1 at Rotherham' to try and back up your statement.

4 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

Can't believe you have just used '1 at Rotherham' to try and back up your statement.

Scunthorpe, Northampton and Southend have all gone there and not scored this season. Difficult place to go and we scored. We scored in every away game under Sheridan this season. Goals were there. Dumbfounded to say we'd never have scored 4 when we scored 3 at an arguably more difficult ground.

9 minutes ago, oafcshuck said:

Scunthorpe, Northampton and Southend have all gone there and not scored this season. Difficult place to go and we scored. We scored in every away game under Sheridan this season. Goals were there. Dumbfounded to say we'd never have scored 4 when we scored 3 at an arguably more difficult ground.

I presume you're going to go and support the team he ends up at next.

Shez lost his job due to sheer stubbornness. He played the same team for about 4 games in a row and it was obvious it wasn't working. Richie has well and truly galvanized the team and I'm sorry you're having a hard time trying to accept it but he's gone. Get over it and get behind Richie and forget about Shez. 

1 hour ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Good post.

To be honest as much as I love Shez there was little to suggest he was tactically up to it this time around. 

Keeper, Clarke and Gerrard combo, not playing Fane, Hunt in midfield plus lots more.

As soon as Wellens came in he knew what to change. The players who have made the change were largely available to Shez anyway weren't they? 

2 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

To be honest as much as I love Shez there was little to suggest he was tactically up to it this time around. 

Keeper, Clarke and Gerrard combo, not playing Fane, Hunt in midfield plus lots more.

As soon as Wellens came in he knew what to change. The players who have made the change were largely available to Shez anyway weren't they? 

Yes and given time Sheridan would have changed it just as Wellens did. He deserved the chance and time that's my point.

6 minutes ago, oafcshuck said:

Yes and given time Sheridan would have changed it just as Wellens did. He deserved the chance and time that's my point.

Anyone who doesn't think he was going to change it simply needs to listen his last post match interview at Rotherham. Specifically his talk about "being too loyal to some".

And that was after vastly improved performances in previous games.

As has been said above...this thread should really be thanking Shez for what he did. If people want to take the one month of August 2017 where all sorts of shit was going on in the background as evidence that Shez couldn't cut it, then it's a shame and those people won't be reasoned with. In my opinion, of course :D

Edited by boundaryblue80

Just now, boundaryblue80 said:

Anyone who doesn't think he was going to change it simply needs to listen his last post match interview. Specifically his talk about "being too loyal to some".

And that was after vastly improved performances in previous games.

As has been said above...this thread should really be thanking Shez for what he did. If people want to take the one month of August 2017 where all sorts of shit was going on in the background as evidence that Shez couldn't cut it, then it's a shame and those people won't be reasoned with. In my opinion, of course :D

But it was obvious where we were struggling and he didn't address that anywhere near quickly enough which unfortunately cost him his job. Prematurely I have to admit.

22 minutes ago, oafcshuck said:

Sorry but he would never have played Placide. Shez states Ruddy was his number 1 keeper and what a fffffing disaster he was so if you think Shez would have changed the goalkeeper think again and he would never have played Clarke and Brian together at the back. As far as tactics where concerned he was clueless. I think we would have been bottom at Christmas if we had continued playing the same set up with Mr Banks in Midfield. How many chances do you think he needed. He was stubborn and could not accept the fact that some foreign players where joining the club for him to run the rule over. Problem was he could not be arsed at watching these guys in training with the reserves and it was Wellens who was looking after the reserves who noticed the potential these guys had. He’s gone we are on a winning run so get over it and support the new manager and the team he selects. The football over the last 7 games has been fantastic. Stop saying that Corney never gave the last manager a chance because that is complete rubbish. Most of the players we have have been with us from the start of the season accept for the loans. Johny Placide was here from the start of the season just think if Shez had played him instead of Wilson and a Ruddy we could be in the Playoff places now. 

Edited by Smiler13