Peterborough number 11

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, rvlatic said:

Just watched the goals on sky - it was a definite manufactured pen...soon as he got in the box he put the brakes on and collapsed - Wilson couldn't really do much about it other than collide with him.

Wonder if an appeal against the red card is worthwhile?

Thought it was nailed on pen at the time but the video shows no intent to foul by Wilson and that Maddison is a cheat for more or less going into reverse to back into him instead of taking the shot on.

5 hours ago, mick26 said:

Wonder if an appeal against the red card is worthwhile?

Thought it was nailed on pen at the time but the video shows no intent to foul by Wilson and that Maddison is a cheat for more or less going into reverse to back into him instead of taking the shot on.

We should appeal because it looks like Maddison 'won' the penalty. Looks like he changed his run, almost jumping across to make sure Wilson ran into the back of him. 

But I doubt an appeal would be successful as they like to back their refs on marginal calls don't they. 

22 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

We should appeal because it looks like Maddison 'won' the penalty. Looks like he changed his run, almost jumping across to make sure Wilson ran into the back of him. 

But I doubt an appeal would be successful as they like to back their refs on marginal calls don't they. 

Watched highlights again on tv rather than phone, he absolutely cheated to win that penalty. Deliberately jumped and arms were going out for the dive before the contact. 

Nothing Wilson could have done about that all. We should appeal the red card as that surely goes down as an 'accidental foul'?

TBH I don't think an appeal would be a worthwhile exercise, they're not going to overturn that.

I think the player was definitely looking for the penalty as he ran across Wilson, very fortunate execution of the penalty too.

Thought we played well, showed a ton of spirit and character when down to 10 men.

Thought Placide looked much better and more assured than Ruddy or Wilson, I can see him being a real fans favourite, he's a character.

Also thought Byrne had an excellent game and was my MOM, he's really tricky and a proper handful, he has a low centre of gravity and his turns simply bamboozle opponents, he's gone before they've had a chance to see which way.

Good performance and a very much needed and deserved 3 points.

When was the last time you heard of us appealing a decision after the fact?

I can't remember and we've had a few more debatable calls than that one. Premier League clubs do it, as will a few Championship ones as the lawyer fees compared with the players wages make it worthwhile, at our level I doubt it is worthwhile.

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

I can't remember and we've had a few more debatable calls than that one. Premier League clubs do it, as will a few Championship ones as the lawyer fees compared with the players wages make it worthwhile, at our level I doubt it is worthwhile.

We shouldn't need a fancy lawyer to appeal this one.  Walk in, read out the rule and show the video, slo-mo and stills.

All you have to appeal is whether it was a deliberate foul or not, video clearly shows it was accidental.  What the video also shows is that Maddison clearly cheated and it shouldn't have even been a penalty.  But as far as the appeal is concerned, it should be pretty obvious that it falls under the 'accidental foul' category.

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Watched highlights again on tv rather than phone, he absolutely cheated to win that penalty. Deliberately jumped and arms were going out for the dive before the contact. 

Nothing Wilson could have done about that all. We should appeal the red card as that surely goes down as an 'accidental foul'?

It's a penalty for me. And I'm sure many would be jumping all over Fane's back if it was him. Clumsy etc etc

edit  no red tho

Edited by simplythemostimportantkick

3 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Connor Brown - Sheridan's first match (I think?) of that spell.

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2016/january/latics-to-appeal-brown-red-card/

10 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Thought Wilson should’ve let Johnny save it. He was never catching him and asked for trouble with the push. 

As for the other one, just couldn’t believe the ref didn’t give it. About time one went our way. 

Perhaps the ref evened it up?

Wow...can't believe some people are trying to say it's not a penalty. No wonder we have fans who think we have a shit ref every week. I must imagine Wilson putting his hands on their lads back then :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: You give the man a shove....you've got absolutely ZERO defence when the red card comes out.

Any attempt to get the red card rescinded will cost us £1000 (the standard amount to appeal) and get an increase in ban for a frivolous appeal. No thanks!

5 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Wow...can't believe some people are trying to say it's not a penalty. No wonder we have fans who think we have a shit ref every week. I must imagine Wilson putting his hands on their lads back then :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: You give the man a shove....you've got absolutely ZERO defence when the red card comes out.

Any attempt to get the red card rescinded will cost us £1000 (the standard amount to appeal) and get an increase in ban for a frivolous appeal. No thanks!

It was a definite penalty, even though it was very clearly bought. Very naive of an experienced player like Wilson to get so close to a player known for his theatrics.

2 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

I haven't blamed the ref myself, at full speed it's a hard one to pick.

But when you watch the replay there are clear grounds for an appeal in my opinion.  The new rule states that it has to be a deliberate foul with no attempt to play the ball.  I don't see what Wilson could have done to avoid contact in that situation. He was running on a different line to Maddison and Maddison made a very clear attempt to check his run and jump to the side to make sure Wilson touched him.  For me it's not a red card as it's a clear accidental foul - ie penalty and yellow card these days.

Whether it's a penalty or not I think depends on where you stand on the whole "right to go down" debate if there's been contact.  For me I don't think it's a penalty because the attacker created the contact and his subsequent unnatural dive to the floor deliberately.

9 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

I can see why the ref gave it but you need to have a closer look at the offence before rubbishing others opinions. Yes Wilson puts his arm up of their players back, but the attacker TOTALLY played for it and had already halted his run to step across Wilson and had his arms outstretched ready for a triple salchow BEFORE he was in the box. 

1 minute ago, danoafc said:

I can see why the ref gave it but you need to have a closer look at the offence before rubbishing others opinions. Yes Wilson puts his arm up of their players back, but the attacker TOTALLY played for it and had already halted his run to step across Wilson and had his arms outstretched ready for a triple salchow BEFORE he was in the box. 

I have had a closer look. 3 times on replay. From a better angle than I saw it from in the North Stand. To which I thought at the time, definite pen and red card.

4 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I don't see what Wilson could have done to avoid contact in that situation. He was running on a different line to Maddison and Maddison made a very clear attempt to check his run and jump to the side to make sure Wilson touched him. 

Not put his hands on the lads back, perhaps? So the lad made sure Wilson put his arms out and shoved him? Ok :chubb:

Just now, boundaryblue80 said:

I have had a closer look. 3 times on replay. From a better angle than I saw it from in the North Stand. To which I thought at the time, definite pen and red card.

The attacker has already stepped across Wilson at this point, halting his run and has got his arms up in the standard "about to be shot by a sniper" stance. The offence is clearly OUTSIDE of the box. 

As I say, I can see why the ref gave it in real time but he was mugged off big time by the attacker. 

IMG_2351.PNG

11 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Not put his hands on the lads back, perhaps? So the lad made sure Wilson put his arms out and shoved him? Ok :chubb:

If you look at the picture Dan has posted, see Maddison's body position, it's totally unnatural.  It would have been totally unnexpected that he would do that, Wilson's arms would have come up instinctively.  Not trying to excuse him here, I just think that's what anyone would do if someone jumped in front of you like that.  Once there's a touch, Maddison plants his feet together too, again it's in that picture, which again, is totally unnatural.  It's a dive.  Just because Wilson touched him on the back it doesn't mean he shoved him to the floor.  It's a contact sport.  Again, the debate for me is whether we appeal his red card, and I think we should do based on all this.

32 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

I'm all for being fair to refs and quite often laugh at those around me, who claim for every decision under the sun. But, that's total bollocks, I was sat straight across from it in the north stand. You could see Maddison look over his shoulder, wait for him to get within arms reach and then he just threw himself to the ground. You can't blame Wilson at all, the ref was conned by the so called 'best midfield in the league', who was shit scared to take a 1v1 on because of how well Placide had played.