Great Latics debuts & instant cult heroes....

After Placide putting in such a great performance last night & gaining instant cult hero status who else in the past have made similar impacts?

The cult hero bit with Placide is unusual because that's often down to them being a bit shit but triers - Ngoo being a recent example - but Placide also looks decent...

Kuqi had a great start - instant goals with added bellyflops were a great combination...

Edited by HarryBosch

29 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

I also remember Bradford City bringing a few to watch Sean McCarthy’s Latics debut, at home to Southampton maybe?

There wasn't too many at his actual debut away to Ipswich. If my memory serves me correct it was 0-0.

Edited by yarddog73

There was a player in the 1960s who had a superb debut called Tony Foster, unfortunately he never had another good game and was soon released.

Andy Sweeney was reckoned to be the next George Best, brilliant on his debut then faded into obscurity.

Jim Beardall, a dozen goals before Christmas and in the New Year transferred to Great Harwood.

Steve Taylor scored a scorcher on his debut and many more after.

Simon Stainrod, from his first touch of the ball you knew he was a class player.

Frank Large, bulldozed every player on his debut, including some of his own. 

Shefti Kuqi did much the same.

Bert Lister scored goals galore,  can't remember any from outside the penalty area.

George Kinnell, only played a dozen games (8 goals) before being sold for a quick profit.

Jim Fryatt, have we ever had a better header of the ball?

Maurice Whittle converted from an ordinary midfielder to a fast raiding left back, Ian Wood from centre forward to a tenacious right back and Ken Knighton from a struggling full back to a sensational midfielder..all and more remain in my memory.

Edited by BP1960