Great Latics debuts & instant cult heroes....

• 4 months later...
9 hours ago, Gary1906 said:

Steve Taylor, 1978 I think.

Scored 2 on his debut against Notts County.

Stevie Stevie Taylor!! ⚽️⚽️

Still remember Taylor's first goal, ran with the ball from 40 yards out then rocketed the ball into the net from just outside the penalty area.

2 hours ago, NewBlue said:

To this day I’m convinced he would’ve been had management not been on his mind

Shez was available too. 

We could have had Shez managing with Dunn playing and learning from him. 

If Dunn would have come under those circumstances that it... 

29 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Still remember Taylor's first goal, ran with the ball from 40 yards out then rocketed the ball into the net from just outside the penalty area.

He was rapid as well! 

I used to stand in the old Ford Stand paddock with my dad. 

Mull of Kintyre used to be played before the match. ?

Mile Bernard made his debut in the same match. David Irving might have done as well. ⚽️

4 minutes ago, OldHallam said:

A player older fans will remember Ray Treacy had a stunner of a game. played two more games and back to Preston never to be seen again. 

David Shaw was pretty spectacular on debut still vastly underrated for his goal to games ratio for latics. 91 goals in 214 games. 

Stainrod the best debut by far. How Ron Atkinson let us have him a mystery having scored against us at Bramhall Lane was clearly a good player. 

Ron Atkinson??

14 minutes ago, OldHallam said:

lol manager was Harry Haslam.... Atkinson link was via my late uncle who was a latics director but already moved to Blackpool as a director. Atkinson was at West Brom but supposed to be helping the board out  in Sheffield as team struggling and advised to go for experienced  players at Sheffield and mentioned Stainrod to my uncle. Blackpool had signed a few high profile players and passed on Stainrods name to latics. West Brom had considered signing him but wasnt experienced enough for Atkinson who could have had him. 

Thanks for clearing that up. I was trying to remember Ron Atkinson at Sheff Utd.

??

1 hour ago, OldHallam said:

David Shaw was pretty spectacular on debut still vastly underrated for his goal to games ratio for latics. 91 goals in 214 games. 

Underrated? Says who? In his first spell with us he scored 70 goals in 155 games and was rightly recognised as a very good striker which saw him leave for (a higher division) West Brom for 80k - at the time a decent fee.

He didn’t have the same impact at the Baggies - possibly due to injuries coupled with playing against a better standard of defender. Still decent when he came back for his second spell at BP.

Vastly underrated? Not really.

7 minutes ago, OldHallam said:

Some argumentative folk on here .;-) .. lol. Could of sworn I mentioned his 91 goals. By those not fortunate to have seen him play. Taught lots of kids who simply have heard of Groves, Stainrod, Palmer, even Wylde and Fryatt but you mention Shaw and its a who? 

Not from me .Great striking partner alongside Jimmy.Only realised he wore specs when we passed the team coach going down to Walsall.Last time I saw him was as a pub landlord in Milnrow.

3 hours ago, Flemboy said:

Not from me .Great striking partner alongside Jimmy.Only realised he wore specs when we passed the team coach going down to Walsall.Last time I saw him was as a pub landlord in Milnrow.

He once spent 10 minutes looking for his contact lenses in the mud at Boundary Park, didn't find them, but still went on to score an hat trick.

Edited by BP1960

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Didn't he score a hat trick in the snow at BP on his second debut ? May be wrong....usually am !

Don't remember snow but do remember the game - vs Southampton I think.

I met him in SAFE days; he said he didn't really follow football anymore - he was more interested in rugby league

Edited by Dave_Og